Tigers game style | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers game style

Kamdyn-With-a-K

Tiger Cub
Aug 14, 2022
There's no doubt countless threads on this. But how would people describe how our game style has changed from 2017-2022? What were the little tweaks in our premiership years?
2017 seemed to be lots of forward handball, move it quick, rely on turnovers (like now). But we were undermanned in the forward line so we'd play a more territory game and try and lock it in and build pressure.
Once Lynch came along we had two key forward targets which I think changed the way we moved the ball offensively.
This year we seemed to start out trying to play more tempo, chip it around more, hold the ball. But then we got to 2-4 and seemed to abandon it and go back to the chaos/turnover game. Have teams sort of worked us out with this style, though?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I thought we went the more tempo style game to try to work around the stupid stand rule. that didn't work for us so we went back to what did work. It's worked for us althought not all results have gone the way we'd like our form is building nicely at the right time of the yr

Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I'm not great with on-field strategy and a lot of the subtleties pass me by, but there are two things I think were transformative from 2017 onwards.

The first was the revolutionary idea of embracing the specific abilities and traits of each player on the list and giving them the licence to play to their strengths. When you think about it, what a way to get the best out of your list. It's arguable we've lost our way on this front a little bit, with the likes of Jack Ross being swung into unusual outside roles when he looks to be a great in-and-under contested beast. But, in general, I think this is still a core idea at Richmond.

The second was definitely playing the turnover game ... being willing to lose the first possession at clearance in order to win the second and subsequent ones, shifting defences, catching them out of position and opening up the forward line with quick ball movement. While it's a taxing game style, the past month shows us it still works.

Reactions: 4 users

Kamdyn-With-a-K

Tiger Cub
Aug 14, 2022
I'm not great with on-field strategy and a lot of the subtleties pass me by, but there are two things I think were transformative from 2017 onwards.

The first was the revolutionary idea of embracing the specific abilities and traits of each player on the list and giving them the licence to play to their strengths. When you think about it, what a way to get the best out of your list. It's arguable we've lost our way on this front a little bit, with the likes of Jack Ross being swung into unusual outside roles when he looks to be a great in-and-under contested beast. But, in general, I think this is still a core idea at Richmond.

The second was definitely playing the turnover game ... being willing to lose the first possession at clearance in order to win the second and subsequent ones, shifting defences, catching them out of position and opening up the forward line with quick ball movement. While it's a taxing game style, the past month shows us it still works.
Great insights! Agree we're getting our turnover game back on track. We seem to be winning the ball back across half back. We still don't seem to stifle teams like we once did, although recently we've been scoring big offensively. We can turn it on for stages and it's electrifying to watch! Although when the oppo gets momentum we look way more vulnerable than 2017-20.

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Pretty right we tinkered early trying to adapt to new rules and looked crap , much closer to original Richmond footy and facts are we’ve been in every single game since reverting back , post the Adelaide debacle , save the absence of dusty our f50 is looking more dangerous than ever , sec highest scoring side says as much , when the ball lobs in , boy is it hot

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
2022? We're about scoring, cheap plays, rorting the AFL rules, and perimeter ball movement as a default. We use the guts as an ambush, defaulting to boundary and outside run.

We're not about stopping them scoring, altogether. Dimma laments often that we left goals on the table. He doesn't often mention that we let them score. Quite a change.

That's not to say that we won't just tighten up to ruin somebody's day. (Stratagems. Deception. 2022.) In fact, I'm sure we will.

But the 2022 focus on ball movement at the expense of defence has been pronounced. Score, score, score.

We're building a new Richmond. A marketable Richmond based on scoring.

We're a club that can see the writing on the wall re CTE. Can see that collisions must and will be reduced in the AFL. (Who's gunna pay?) Not just concussions - collisions.

This is a year of transition from Strangling Richmond to Scoring Richmond. The fans will love that, right?

Reactions: 9 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Great insights! Agree we're getting our turnover game back on track. We seem to be winning the ball back across half back. We still don't seem to stifle teams like we once did, although recently we've been scoring big offensively. We can turn it on for stages and it's electrifying to watch! Although when the oppo gets momentum we look way more vulnerable than 2017-20.

I agree, but I'd argue that all teams look more vulnerable in defence than in previous years. Apparently it is what the AFL want.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I agree, but I'd argue that all teams look more vulnerable in defence than in previous years. Apparently it is what the AFL want.

DS
Agree David .
All teams years look vulnerable. Goals can quickly be scored. Momentum can change. Run ons can result in 4 plus goals.

Interesting stat I heard today.
Concerning.

Tigers are 13TH in general play. ?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree David .
All teams years look vulnerable. Goals can quickly be scored. Momentum can change. Run ons can result in 4 plus goals.

Interesting stat I heard today.
Concerning.

Tigers are 13TH in general play. ?

What do you mean by 13th in General Play?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Agree we look more offensively oriented.

Apart from that, the turnover game that netted us three flags is still the 1-wood.

I think we will tighten up the team defence in the EF.

Thanks for your efforts, Teaguey, but it’s finals time.

Tighter defence, along with so many offensive players *in form* to cover whatever shortfall that creates, will be a cup-winning recipe.

Watch out for a surprisingly dour defensive effort against Essendon.

A free hit to test our defensive structures.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I mentioned this in another thread but probably more appropriate here.

I know its champion data and some people scoff at what they throw up but we are ranked 13th in the comp without the footy. This results in easy forward 50 entries to the opposition.

We definitely need to improve in that area come finals time. You can get away with it when playing the middle rung teams but you will get punished if its a Geelong or Sydney who also score heavily.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Maybe the side has been working on attack first, and will return the focus to defensive submission come September.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
My main concern is our overall defence. We are ranked 14th I think without the ball. This used to be a strength of ours

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
We are ranked 17th for pressure over the last few weeks which impacts all our other defensive measures.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The main evolution i see from 2021,

Is that we're gonna win the flag

I really want our big dance partner to be geelong,

And see peggy lift hockings skirt and fist *smile* him,

But i reckon it's gonna be sydney.

mRJ knocking buddy out would be a pretty good consolation premiership

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
2022? We're about scoring, cheap plays, rorting the AFL rules, and perimeter ball movement as a default. We use the guts as an ambush, defaulting to boundary and outside run.

We're not about stopping them scoring, altogether. Dimma laments often that we left goals on the table. He doesn't often mention that we let them score. Quite a change.

That's not to say that we won't just tighten up to ruin somebody's day. (Stratagems. Deception. 2022.) In fact, I'm sure we will.

But the 2022 focus on ball movement at the expense of defence has been pronounced. Score, score, score.

We're building a new Richmond. A marketable Richmond based on scoring.

We're a club that can see the writing on the wall re CTE. Can see that collisions must and will be reduced in the AFL. (Who's gunna pay?) Not just concussions - collisions.

This is a year of transition from Strangling Richmond to Scoring Richmond. The fans will love that, right?
It harks back to Hafey. He said he didn’t care how much our opponents scored, as long as we scored more.

• Love

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We are ranked 17th for pressure over the last few weeks which impacts all our other defensive measures.
strange stats for us. We need to improve our pressure rating in the finals.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Need to tighten up defence wise especially come finals defence , but we need to get the balance right between attack and defence hopefully coaches on to it defence wins .

Last edited:

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
The big thing for me was our fitness.
We ended up running over most teams, would be interested to see stats of how well we scored in 2nd halves compared to our opposition, especially in 2017