Tigers top AFL revenue ladder | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers top AFL revenue ladder

Feb 25, 2007
Tigers top AFL revenue ladder as Covid hits footy balance sheets

Richmond have been the strongest team on and off the field in the past year in the AFL, but Covid has many teams running losses. FULL TABLE
June 25, 2021

afl2.jpg
Richmond are winning on and off the field in the AFL. Picture: Getty Images

Covid cost AFL clubs tens of millions last year, with future disruptions set to disrupt balance sheets of even the strongest clubs in the competition.
Figures compiled by IBISWorld show that revenue for the 18 teams in the competition fell by 31.4 per cent last year to $762.7m as a hit to gate takings and associated revenue due to a Covid related lockdown hit the clubs hard.

The AFL clubs are still battling fixture changes and a cap on crowds during the current 2021 season, which is again having a marked effect on the balance sheet of many of the clubs in the competition after a tough 2020.

The AFL saw a 15 per cent decline in revenue in 2019-20, to $674.8m. “The AFL also reduced its total distribution to clubs by $83.8m, in an effort to mitigate losses,” said IBISWorld senior industry analyst Matthew Barry.
Defending premiers Richmond recently revealed it had set a new industry record in garnering more than 103,000 members, despite ongoing crowd restrictions in Melbourne.

“Our members continue to set the benchmark across the league, and we have seen more than ever in recent times that their ongoing support, passion and connection to Richmond knows no limits,” said Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale.
Despite the circumstances of the past two years, with football played outside Victoria and caps on crowds, Richmond has continued to thrive both on and off the field.

“Our people are our greatest strength, and it is thanks to them we have been able to maintain a healthy position across the difficulty and uncertainty of the last 16 months,” Mr Gale said.
But not all clubs are enjoying the relatively rude financial health of Richmond, with the GWS Giants recording the largest fiscal loss of almost $7.3m last year. Cross town rival Sydney Swans also made a loss of $6.1m last year.

AFL.jpg

The Brisbane Lions significantly outperformed other clubs in 2019-20, rising five spots to third on the revenue ladder. The Lions’ strong on-field performance drove growth in membership numbers in 2020.

Additionally, the Lions’ social club posted a strong financial performance relative to other clubs’ hospitality revenue, only declining by 15.2 per cent in 2019-20.
Notably, the West Coast Eagles have fallen from first place in 2019 to rank seventh on the revenue ladder in 2020, with a 56.5 per cent decline in revenue given crowd restrictions in Perth last year. The Eagles are usually the most profitable football club in Australia, and with crowds returning in Perth this year are expected to post stronger financial results.

The remaining four clubs in the top eight on the revenue ladder were Victorian clubs, which have all faced declines in membership, match day and hospitality revenue due to extended lockdown restrictions in Victoria.

AFL supporters remained loyal to their club, with membership numbers only falling by 6.1 per cent in the 2020 financial year. The federal government’s JobKeeper wage subsidy also aided clubs through the COVID-19 pandemic, helping clubs retain and pay existing employees.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I remember posts years ago about this and the issue was that pokies revenue skewed all the results.
Not sure if it is still the same but you would expect that revenue from the pokies would have been hit really hard last year

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I remember posts years ago about this and the issue was that pokies revenue skewed all the results.
Not sure if it is still the same but you would expect that revenue from the pokies would have been hit really hard last year
That would explain Hawthorn's loss.

Feb 25, 2007

We hardly have any venues left. due to Bruce Matthieson handing them over to Carlton.
By memory, we make only a few mill from pokies

Football related and aligned leisure is where all the money is coming from. Kudos to us, we have diversified our income streams and become a powerhouse.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We hardly have any venues left. due to Bruce Matthieson handing them over to Carlton.
By memory, we make only a few mill from pokies

Football related and aligned leisure is where all the money is coming from. Kudos to us, we have diversified our income streams and become a powerhouse.
Wantirna club? Is that it?

Reactions: 1 user

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
With Tigers 23 million more than next best in revenue, where is it going.
I would go a million over soft cap and be ok to forfeit a million to AFL to do so,as it's a huge advantage to us and as a non profit organization it is best to keep our advantage.
As a long time businessman ,can't understand why we don't do so as the next best is so far down I want to know what advantage we are getting over every one else with our huge turnover .

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
On top of no crowds, and reduced crowds, If we miss the finals our finances will take a big hit.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
On top of no crowds, and reduced crowds, If we miss the finals our finances will take a big hit.
No as we have our our projection income as last years and have had number 1 crowds in AFL,secondly afl has spent significantly less this year running the comp which will mean more back to the clubs.
Our turnover last year was light years ahead of any other club.

Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
With Tigers 23 million more than next best in revenue, where is it going.
I would go a million over soft cap and be ok to forfeit a million to AFL to do so,as it's a huge advantage to us and as a non profit organization it is best to keep our advantage.
As a long time businessman ,can't understand why we don't do so as the next best is so far down I want to know what advantage we are getting over every one else with our huge turnover .
But, can we afford to spend another $1m and cop a whack/penalty of a commensurate $1m from the AFL?

After all, our revenue declined by 20% and despite a revenue of circa $75m, we made a lousy $200K profit.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
But, can we afford to spend another $1m and cop a whack/penalty of a commensurate $1m from the AFL?

After all, our revenue declined by 20% and despite a revenue of circa $75m, we made a lousy $200K profit.
Our revenue last year was 73 million,second best was over 20 million less with our coaching structure using bottom 3 dollars,now we easily can afford more coaching dollars by cutting out a tiny bit of our gross earnings seeming we are miles and miles above second best.
It was a huge mistake which I'm sure they will correct in 2022.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Our revenue last year was 73 million,second best was over 20 million less with our coaching structure using bottom 3 dollars,now we easily can afford more coaching dollars by cutting out a tiny bit of our gross earnings seeming we are miles and miles above second best.
It was a huge mistake which I'm sure they will correct in 2022.
Is it not the case that football related expenditure is capped and when that cap is breached, sanctions apply?

If that's the case, then the rule cannot be flouted.

And, my point regarding the Net Profit vs Revenue still applies. Based on the figures in the table above, net Profit represented 0.003% of Revenue. That's miniscule by any measure.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Is it not the case that football related expenditure is capped and when that cap is breached, sanctions apply?

If that's the case, then the rule cannot be flouted.

And, my point regarding the Net Profit vs Revenue still applies. Based on the figures in the table above, net Profit represented 0.003% of Revenue. That's miniscule by any measure.

Yeah, but the football club is a non-profit organisation. Therefore the revenue not spent is put somewhere else, could be a fund to rebuild Punt Rd, or contingencies or the like. You don't want to post a big profit anyway as then the AFL will likely reduce any distribution or increase your tax.

As you say the football department has a limit on spending. This may go up some after the reductions from COVID but unlikely to increase quickly as many clubs struggle. Unless we want some clubs permanently down the bottom of the ladder there has to be some way to sort this. When you think back to the facilities we had before the Swinburne Centre was built, then compare that to some of the facilities that we saw in the Amazon documentary, you see the logic in this.

DS