Tigers unite to shoulder load of Ottens injury | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers unite to shoulder load of Ottens injury

A

admin

Tigers unite to shoulder load of Ottens injury
15 March 2003 Herald Sun
By MARK ROBINSON

A "CONE of confidence" has descended on Punt Rd this week in the wake of ruckman Brad Ottens' 12-week injury.

And the message from the club's senior personnel yesterday was simple: We must share the load in his absence.

As Ottens recovered from an operation on Wednesday for a prolapsed disc -- he walked three times on Thursday and is expected out of hospital this weekend -- the Tigers would not entertain the idea the club had been struck down on an epic scale.

Indeed, after reading Wed nesday's newspapers announcing the news, skipper Wayne Campbell thought "all hell had broken loose".

"He's a very good player, but when Greg Hutchison (football manager) stood up and said Brad was out, I initially thought about Brad and then I thought Greg Stafford would have to ruck more, Ray Hall would have to play a little bit more," Campbell said.

"When I read the papers, I reassessed and thought 'have I thought about it too lightly?' But no, we've never relied on one player, we can't rely on one player.

"I think our opposition in Round 1 (Collingwood) have showed you can't rely on one player.

"They have become a good side since they've spread the load and that's what we're aiming to do.

"We've all got to step up as individuals and cover for him."

Coach Danny Frawley, who has this year and next to run on his contract and who would need a catastrophic change of fortunes to jeopardise that, also stressed the need for a united effort.

"We're disappointed as all the players were, but Brad is one of 39 players, so we've just got to share the load," he said.

The loss of Ottens will have a huge impact on Matthew Richardson and Stafford.

It goes without saying the responsibility hangs heavy on No. 12, but Stafford's role is now also significant. And he's not baulking at the situation.

"You say pressure, but if you don't like it, or can't handle it, then you should go and do something else," Stafford said.

"Challenge is certainly the right word. Whereas I was looking at a 50-50 split between the forward line and the ruck, I'm now looking at maybe a 70-30 or 80-20 split," he said.

The Tigers play Sydney today at the SCG.