Tigers vs Carlton   | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers vs Carlton  

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Re: Tigers vs Carlton  

Progress score.... 4th qrt

Richmond.... 16. 5. 101
Carlton .... 11. 13. 79

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002

Final scores.....

Richmond..... 20. 5 .125
Carlton ..... 13.14. 92

For those at the match can we have some feedback on the game and some of the better players etc....

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne

Just back from the game

Gaspar - reasonable game on Whitnall

Rogers - did very little

Ottens - quiet, very quiet, crap ruckwork

Chaffey - very busy, strong marking, good delivery

Pettifer - lively up forward, missed a couple of goals late, but presented well all day and marked strongly

Campbell - solid, played first half only

Stafford - did nothing

Bowden - terrible first half, very soft, but got plenty of it in the second half

Richardson - busy first half before sitting out second half. Outplayed kouta, too quick, good kicking

Blumfield - played second half, did some nice things, should slot in nicely

Fiora - good game today, strong marking, took them on, good delivery to forwards

Cameron - 2001 leon cameron today

Rodan - did a few things, but generally quiet

Hall - played up forward, didnt do much, injured ribs late

King - quiet game, lot of time on bench

Coughlan - quiet first half on ratten, but then worked into game and kicked 3 goals after half time

Schulz - spent alot of time on bench, but looks a likely type. played on whitnall late and did ok, good pace and skills

JOhnson - quiet early but worked into it, starting to gel more

Hyde - sat on bench most of the day, tagged Camporeale for a while, did ok

Tivendale - didnt have a lot of touches, but busy all the same

Mills - did nothing, hardly on ground

Newman - good game, had better of camporeale early, then looked good in centre square

A Kellaway - typical kellaway game

Vardy - beaten by Fevola early, but looked alright in second half, good skills

Houlihan - busy off half back, set up a lot of plays, did the kick ins and turned a few over but set others up perfectly, almost best i've seen him play

Overall, a solid performance, much better than the Melbourne game, thought our attack on the ball was generally very good, some promising signs with Pettifer, Fiora, Coughlan, Schulz and Newman.

A

admin

As they say in the classics, "Any win is a good win" Hopefully the team can build on this game going into the season. Still a lot of work to be done.
Carlton had the advantage of a fairly strong wind in the first quarter and it didn't let up much all day.
Kicking against the wind they got back to within 2 points well into the last quarter, but to Richmond's credit they played the game out for a comfortable win.

A few observations....

I'm glad Danny left Royce at fullback for the whole game. Really valuable experience we might need to cash in on sometime. He took a while to get into it, but ended up playing a good defensive game.

Agree with DF that Leon looked his old self. What a pleasure to see such skill and poise.

Gas also looked fitter and a lot more mobile, weaving through traffic etc that was missing from his game last year.

A good game by Houlihan.

Andy Kellaway must be the most honest player at the club with the way he gives his all. Top effort.

Rodan played in the midfield and looked to be caught a bit often. Not a top game, but the hopefully the experience of extended time in the middle will benefit him later on.

I can't see how Chaffey wasn't listed in the best players. Top game (made his president proud, ha) I'm not all that sure about his kickouts sometimes though.

I can't see how Pettifer was listed in the best players. A couple of times he hunched his shoulders and cringed expecting contact, looked very timid. Hunted around the edge of the pack in the midfield trying to look busy but doing nothing.
At one stage he had to take a free kick into our forward line while he was missing a boot. Leon ran over to tell him to kick with his booted left foot, but he ignored him and kicked with his right sock. The ball turned over and Carlton got a goal, and Kayne was dragged.

Rogers had his thigh heavily bandaged after the game.

Richo was feeling his hamstring a bit in the third quarter and came straight off, not to return.

Rodan looked to have a sore spot (technical term there, ha) on his leg. He copped a bit of heavy treatment from Andy McKay who he was playing on.

Krakouer was there in a leg brace.

There was more endevour tackling and chasing etc. Most players went in hard.

The handballs seemed to be working better, rather than last years efforts with them.

Finally I was sitting there minding my own business and I heard a conversation from the person behind me. My ears pricked because it was about something that had been posted on this site and I knew straight away who the person was. No names, but it was nice to meet you. :)

A

admin

Where did you happen to be sitting rosy?

And what did the conversation consist of?
That is my last comment on that...My lips are sealed, ha. ;D
I'd better watch what I say in future, never know who it is sitting next to me.
Then again maybe my "I love Puntroadend website" t-shirt gives me away anyway. ;D

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002

Good to see the team finally post a win although that in itself means little. Based on the scoreline i get the impression that our syle of play was probably more direct and that our forward line functioned  much more effectively.

Good to hear that cameron chaff and Gaspar played well as they will certainly be the barometer for how well our backline stands up under pressure.

Interesting to view the contrast in the assesment of pet,someone else who was at the game said that his performance was akined to a fairy with no balls  ;D  iff so God help you in defending him this year TG  .

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002

Ottens - quiet, very quiet, crap ruckwork

Pettifer - lively up forward, missed a couple of goals late, but presented well all day and marked strongly

Blumfield - played second half, did some nice things, should slot in nicely

Ottens...I know I have annointed myself his President but DF crap ruckwork??... Some of is tap outs to Cogs and Kane Johnson were great. He is obviously stronger in the upper body which showed in his one on one contests with French. Wasn't dominating but a marked improvement on his Fizzer game. But I will say he needs to start holding more of his marks.

Pettifer: I have said it once and I will say it again SHOW SOME INTEREST KANE :mad: He has the skill but doesn't show enough attack on the ball. And those two shots at goal in last quarter..well they were sitters. We yell at Richo when he misses sitters.....

Blumfield: the main reason I went. Only played the second half but after a shaky start looked good. Clearly "under-done" but his reading of the ball in a couple of marking contests was first rate. I totally agree with DF on this one he will slot into our team really well.

Schulz continues to impress me. He is a big boy and will only get bigger. Took a strong pack mark late in the final quarter.

It was a good performance considering how bad we were in the Wizzer Fizzer.

Other observations:
The latest in fashion statements "IN SPUD WE TRUST" T-Shirts. Interested Diggler ;D

A

admin

It was nice to see the ground covered with people playing kick to kick and gathered around the huddles in the breaks.
Did anyone go out to our huddle? I am interested to know who addressed the playing groups.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval

Lay off Kayne he's only little :rollin

Rosy who was it you heard talking? It wasn't me was it??

Anyone notice that whenever Rodan did a good thing he got dragged? I noticed it happen a few times "Great bit of work now get off!"

A

admin

Haha you're not the first person to ask that TG, a few guilty consciences out there judging from my messages. :rollin

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002

Lay off Kayne he's only little :rollin

Anyone notice that whenever Rodan did a good thing he got dragged? I noticed it happen a few times "Great bit of work now get off!"

On Kayne - madam President has spoken ;D

Yeah I noticed they took Rodan off alot. But having said that I don't think he looks as fit as he could be at the moment. Looks like he is running out of puff very easily

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval

Haha you're not the first person to ask that TG, a few guilty consciences out there judging from my messages. :rollin
Ha not guilty I didn't say anything bad well not that I can recall anyway but I know I did mention the site sometime during the game yesterday. Did you see Dunc walking onto the ground at quarter time and half time Rosy? ;)

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com

It was great to finally get a win on the board.

A couple of my observations from the game:

-Ottons did nothing. Doesnt do very much in the ruck and really doesnt make much effort to plug gaps in defence and to get to contests. Too often, he roamed around the wing not presenting himself. As far as I am concerned, as ruckman, it is his duty to make as many contests as he can.

-Our midfielders played reasonably well but once again I would have to say that we were beaten out of the middle. I think it is a mixture of poor ruckwork and midfielders who dont have the ability to grab the ball and put it onto their boot in a split second. Players like Ratten did it time and time again on the weekend but even when Richmond grabbed the ball first out of the ruck, we were unable to get the quick kicks away.

-There may be hope for Pettifer. He did some good-he did some bad. However, he has the build to succeed. He is a very strong type. Give him one more year and dont write him off just yet.

-Blumfield really excites me (even more so than Johnson). In the half that he played, his ability to float across packs and to create space is great. I think he will be a very similar player to Bowden but able to play more in a utility role.

-Richmond's kicking out from defence after a point was scored was really bad. No set plays and ended up (about 75% of the time) having to bomb the ball long. Get the ball out of the hands of Houlihan and give it to Cameron please!

-Great to see Gaspar hit some form.

-The following players still missed the game: Krakour, Nicholls, Fleming, Zantuck, Dragga and Holland. Any status reports?