Tom Mitchell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tom Mitchell

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Fair call. I sat and watched Mitchell ply in rd 3 2018 at the G against the Tigers. Won a stack of contested ball. If the deal isn’t right for him fair enough, but if he can get back to 80-90% of what he produced 2018 pre- broken leg, then that is a very, very good player. I get the other arguments, its all about what you give up. Although the lack of respect for him on here is a bit of a joke

2018 was 3 1/2 years ago - why go for a player whose best (which was dam good) is far behind him. Prototype players now are young, fast and ideally have KPP potential.

Our need is to continue to develop our youth, lock in CCJ and Bolton as priorities and get games into Dow along with RCD.

We can build a team around Balta, CCJ, Bolton, Baker, RCD, Mansell plus two round picks this year - we have 2 to 3 years to find some young players who can become A grade talent over that period.

If we follow down the Hawks path of picking up players whose best is past them and only have a couple of years left, we will end up joining the Hawks at the bottom of the ladder.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How much is he on? I assume fair coin, probably $650k+. If you are going to spend big money, I'd much rather we went down the FA route and went after Merrett rather than Mitchell. We'd probably need to find another $100k / year but he suits out gameplan far more than Mitchell does.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Actually thinking the only way this works, is if the Hawks pay a proportion of his salary, somewhere around $200k IMO. They will have cap space so maybe they will be happy to do it if they get another 1st.

I'd prefer JOM though if we were sniffing round one of their mids.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I guess a mature, elite, recruit to replace Cotchin would be good - but I'm not sure if that is Mitchell to be honest.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Just googled “Tom Mitchell “ to get his D.O.B (he just turned 28 on May 31) and all the headline returns talk about getting him would “keep Richmond’s premiership window open“. Geez, talk about a narrative. How does getting what would essentially be a 29 yr old (he’d play 11 games as a 28 yr old) to go with an already mature midfield of Dusty, Trent, Shed, Lambert, Dion? I don’t get it.

And I never knew Mitchell was recruited from Claremont in WA.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigeronprowl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dec 30, 2002
Too old and slow for our list profile. We have enough ageing stars that will be retiring over the next 2 years, we dont need another. If we do go down that route it would be better to get Tom Green or Taranto as they will develop into the same type of player that are slowish but consistently knock up 35 to 40 contested possessions a game and are much younger and damaging with their ball use.

Reactions: 1 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Too old and slow for our list profile. We have enough ageing stars that will be retiring over the next 2 years, we dont need another. If we do go down that route it would be better to get Tom Green or Taranto as they will develop into the same type of player that are slowish but consistently knock up 35 to 40 contested possessions a game and are much younger and damaging with their ball use.
Reading the last few pages I am probably swayed back as a ‘no’ now..
Although I don’t get the point of the Merrett discussion thing - he is a gun but he aint leaving the Bombers surely so not relevant

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Not a fan of TM, but it does raise the question, if someone like this may be coming in, who is going out?

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
We have a pretty strong hand at next years draft (6 picks in 1st three rounds). Admittedly they are not high picks but we would pretty unlikely to draft more than 4 or 5 (on recent form and provided we don't lose many). On that basis we may try to get up the order a bit with a 2 for 1 or something similar. Having said that if Mitchell (or similar) were offered via a Treloar type scenario then we should be open to that. All things being equal (and no crazy deals on offer) we are better off going to the draft - its likely to be stronger than usual, given that there will be some 2020 kids who missed out because they didn't play at all in 2020.

Reactions: 3 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
There’s a reason that opposition coaches don’t put a tag on him and aren’t worried if he gets 35,40 or even 50+ possessions a game

Reactions: 2 users