Tommy Hafey collapses (from afl.com.au) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tommy Hafey collapses (from afl.com.au)

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Hafey in hospital after collapsing
10:29:00 AM Fri 11 July, 2003
afl.com.au

Coaching legend Tom Hafey collapsed at a business breakfast in Melbourne this morning and was rushed to the Alfred Hospital.

Hafey, 72, is a former coach of four AFL clubs and is well-known for maintaining his fitness, including daily swims in Port Phillip Bay.

It is not known yet what caused his collapse but a spokesperson for the Alfred Hospital said Hafey was in a stable condition.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
From foxsports.com.au

Tom Hafey collapses
July 11, 2003

FORMER Richmond AFL legend and fitness fanatic Tom Hafey has collapsed while giving a speech in Melbourne this morning.

A Richmond Football Club spokeswoman, Glynis Smalley, said she had spoken to the 72-year-old's wife Maureen and he is believed to have fainted.

"He certainly collapsed at a function this morning, but he's fine," said Ms Smalley.

"Evidently it's something he does about every five years and he has had all the tests and they don't know why."

The four-time premiership coach collapsed while speaking at the Edmund Barton Conference in Moorabbin and was taken to the Alfred Hospital.

During his career, he coached more than 500 VFL and AFL games with Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong and the Sydney Swans.

Hafey is also renowned for his gruelling fitness regime.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Hope all's ok with Tommy.

If two people deserve to see a Tiger premiership it's Tommy and Jack.

They epitomise what football is to the grass roots Tigers supporters.

The passion for the club. The love of the yellow and black jumper.

It's a long way removed from the business modern football has become.

Players and coaches now don't seem to have that deep, ingrained passion. It's more of a career thing where by the nature of the beast loyalty meants stuff all.

I wonder if people like Tommy and Jack really suffer because of Richmond's prolonged period of mediocrity like a lot of us do.

Somehow I think they would because Richmond is more of a religion than a business to people like that.

Wishes for good health to Tommy and Jack. Both true Tiger legends.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Nice sentiments Rosy.

I still bleed about the sacking of Tom Hafey. It is with out doubt Richmonds greatest shame. And can be attribted to our downward spiral.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Good luck and get well soon you true Tiger Tommy!!!!

T is for Tough
T is for Tenacity
T is for Tiger
T is for Tommy!!!!!!!!

Go you bloody Tigers

Eat 'Em Alive

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
rosy3 said:
From foxsports.com.au

"Evidently it's something he does about every five years and he has had all the tests and they don't know why."

Tommy has about 4 faintings left in him.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
I think good old Tommy has to cut back his daily training regime by half. Its should be a 5klm run, not 10, half a mile swim and 250 pushups & situps. No wonder he fainted!

RazorBoy

Just waitin' for the next premiership
Apr 18, 2003
Just heard on channel 10 news that Tommy was discharged from hospital this afternoon - in time for another speaking engagement.
Looks like they cant keep a good man down for long. Let's hope you stay healthy Tom.

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
Best Wishes Tom.

It's a real worry when a 72 year old still maintains a fitness regime like he does combined with a passion for Richmond, when I'd say half the current team doesn't show that passion.....

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(