Tommy Hafey's tune to start the day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tommy Hafey's tune to start the day

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
17 May 2003
Herald Sun
By KATIE PEART

TOMMY Hafey hasn't coached Richmond for more than a quarter of a century, but his heart is still yellow and black.

Yesterday his passionate enthusiasm for all things Richmond spilled over.

"Is there any better theme song than "Yellow and Black"? I think it should be made the national anthem," said Hafey, the club's four-time premiership coach.

"After you've sang it you're thinking, `Let's go out and play'.

"It should be compulsory, wherever you go. When you start for work each day, folks, I suggest you get in the car sing it, slam the door and say, `Come on, let's start the day'."

Back at his old stamping ground, Punt Rd Oval, to help launch a coterie group in his honour, Hafey was in familiar territory.

"I look over there and see the AKM, the Australian Knitting Mills where my mum used to work," Hafey said. "I look up at Saint Ignatius' (church) where I was christened and at the Pelaco sign where I had a milk bar ... all great Richmond landmarks. It's a really special place."

The 71-year-old, who still inspires with his phenomenal daily fitness routine (8-10km run, swim, 200 push-ups and 600 sit-ups) was also singing the praises of the in-form Tigers.

"It's early days but they've played exceptionally well," Hafey said.

"I saw them play last week against the Bombers and they were sensational. One of the best games I've seen them play for quite some time.

"It's great to be where we are right now.

"I think the players get a bit of confidence and there's been a couple of youngsters come through."

While Hafey couldn't hide his delight at Richmond's current standing, coach Danny Frawley was circumspect.

"We are at the six-mile mark of the marathon, about a quarter of the way through. We just have to keep at it, keep grinding away," Frawley said.

"We have to make sure our mindset's right, our competitive edge is at a premium, that's all I can ask for. At the moment we're winning games because we're competitive."

That competitiveness should be heightened by the return of forward Matthew Richardson for tomorrow night's clash against Melbourne.

"He'll be starting. He's done a hell of a lot of work. It's great to have him back," Frawley said.

"Our forward line has been kicking a lot of team goals. Matty's been a part of that before he got injured and I'm sure he'll slot straight back in."

Frawley regards Melbourne as one of the best running sides in the competition, but the inclusion of Clinton King adds to the Tigers' pace.

"Melbourne are able to score very quickly. We have to make sure we get first hands on the ball," Frawley said.

"We see them as a genuine team. They're somewhere around the same mark as us, so if you're not able to step up to the plate in the competitive stakes, you're going to struggle whoever you play."

"Is there any better theme song than "Yellow and Black"? I think it should be made the national anthem," said Hafey, the club's four-time premiership coach.

"After you've sang it you're thinking, `Let's go out and play'.

"It should be compulsory, wherever you go. When you start for work each day, folks, I suggest you get in the car sing it, slam the door and say, `Come on, let's start the day'."

Now that's what I call good for Australia.

Hafey for PM ;D.

There is an article about making the Tigers song into the national anthem on the punt road good ordinary website... Maybe Tommy is into computers aswell..

Here's the link
http://www.puntroad.com/content/index.php?topgroupid=6&groupid=1