Top 10 Draftees Part 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Top 10 Draftees Part 1

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
On the weekend the Herald Sun ran an article on what it saw as the top 10 draftees in this year’s National Draft. Listening to Greg Beck last night on Sport 927, he seemed to concur with this list.

With that, it appears almost certain that the RFC’s first pick at number 5 will come from one of these 10 players – providing of course that we don’t trade it away that
is !

I’ve been lucky enough to see these 10 kids play a fair bit of footy over the last few months. Here’s my unknowledgable, non-expert and VERY personal piece of garbage on these 10 players, and at the end of it, who I would like to see RFC pick up from these 10 and who, besides all that, we might ultimately end up with.

I’ve tried to steer away from saying that every player is great (like Kevin Sheahan, Terry Wheeler and other commentators e.g. Burgatron do so often) and give a realistic assessment of what’s on offer and put my proverbials on the line a bit more. I can’t comment on their character, attitude, background, family and other intangibles because I’m not a recruiting officer and not close enough to them. This is based purely on what I have seen of their football ability.

Later on, when I get some time, I’ll post up something on a number of other players outside of this group who I think are more than worthy of being selected and who, in some cases, I believe may even be better prospects than this group.

Adam Cooney (SA)

Positives: Athletic. Well skilled on both sides with good penetration in his kick as well. Good mark. Puts his head over the ball. Good endurance. Very well balanced. 186cm makes him very versatile. Quick reflexes. Doesn’t panic in heavy traffic. Has it all really.

Negatives: Not much to the naked eye ! The dyed, way out blonde hair may indicate a personality/character issue – who knows ? Oh, and he’s South Australian…heh heh…

General: Played for SA at National Champs 2 years running. All Australian this year. Put simply, deserves to be the number 1 pick.

Andrew Walker (Vic Country)

Positives: Fantastic leap, but importantly he can take the mark with it. He backs himself when he’s under the ball as well - which takes courage. Mega athletic. Reasonably well skilled with good penetration in his kick and runs the lines excellently with good speed. I’ve seen him get tagged heavily recently, but his fantastic endurance allows him to shake them off. Wiry frame just beginning to bulk up. 186 cm.

Negatives: seen him complain a bit when decisions go against him, but that shows intensity and desire… perhaps. His father hangs around him a lot – maybe too much. I don’t like that at all.

General: All Australian. He’s a player this kid. Every club in the league is after him big time. Rod MacPherson, the brother of Steve ‘Super” MacPherson (his coach at Bendigo) is getting inundated by the recruiters at the moment. Walker can play forward or back. Expect him to go earlier than predicted i.e. at least the top 5.

Colin Sylvia (Vic Country)

Positives: Very well skilled and courageous player. Plays well beyond his 183 cm taking numerous strong marks. He kicked several goals at FF in the National Champs. Solid build. Could play now. Really like his attitude. He wants the ball when it comes near him and he’s prepared to risk his body to get it.

Negatives: Reasonable pace, but I question his aerobic capacity/endurance. He plays through the centre for Bendigo but does not run the length of the ground very often, preferring to jog a lot through the middle until it comes his way or he can move onto it.

General: All Australian. He’s had a massive year for Bendigo. There’s something I really like about this kid. He just keeps getting the football in pressure situations and then doing something positive with it after. Think the possibility of a taller and better marking version of Gary Ablett. I think he’ll make a big impact at AFL level if a club can work on his aerobic capacity and get him to cover a bit more ground.

Troy Chaplin (Vic Country)

Positives: Strong tall at 193cm. He can play CHB or CHF and he moves very well also. Good build – could cope with rigors of AFL footy now. Solid one touch mark of the football.

Negatives: I have a question mark over 2 things 1) his aggression at the ball when it hits the ground and 2) his set shot accuracy – he missed quite a few with some ordinary attempts during the U/18 National Champs.

General: All Australian. Chaplin is being looked at closely by the recruiters because he is one of only a few key position players going around in the draft this year. I’ve gotta say, he certainly looks and moves like a quality key position player, but I’m not 100% certain of his potential. He may be better at CHB than CHF.

Ryley Dunn (Vic Country)

Positives: Super aggressive at the footy. Runs straight ahead and is an excellent tackler when he hasn’t got the ball. At 182cm he is a very solid, well-built inside, on-ball type who can also play defensively. He never gives up in a contest. He moves around the ground very well and is a team player who handballs out under pressure. He’s a leader this kid.

Negatives: when running flat out he kicks floaters i.e. there is a question over his foot skills under pressure when trying to spot someone up.

General: Back to back All Australian. People have likened him to Glenn Archer which is fair enough. But he does not have (at this point) the foot skills of Archer. But he’s no Duncan Kellaway either, I might point out ! He would either a) relieve a lot of pressure on Coughlan as far as all the inside stuff we ask him to do goes or b) be a handy HBF or BP guy.

Part 2 continued on another post......

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Top 10 Draftees - Part 2

Sorry for the length of this !

Farren Ray (WA)

Positives: one of those guys that just knocks up getting the footy. He shows good poise and peripheral vision.. Good skills. Handy grab for his height also at 182cm. Courageously backs himself when found under the ball. He has played senior footy with Peel Thunder.

Negatives: He only weighs 75 kg. His long sleeve jumper looks like a circus tent on him ! It will take time for him to come through, I believe.

General: This WA kid is not what RFC need at the moment. He might become a very good player, but physically, he is always going to struggle because of his frame and might have to make a career as a roving forward. Even though he’s an All Australian, you might find he drops down the order a bit because of this.

Kane Tenace (Vic Country)

Positives: very highly skilled footballer who has good pace and good endurance. Moves really well i.e. always balanced. Reads the play well and knows where to go. Has a good footy brain and you can tell that he knows within himself that he can play a bit as well i.e. confidence. 182cm. Reasonable build, and will fill out ok.

Negatives: might be a bit aloof. Pretty quiet in the huddles for an established player.

General: He plays predominantly through the centre, taking a position on the wing more often than not. He’s more of a link man than an inside player at the moment, but he not averse to getting his hands dirty or making a tackle just the same. Perfect wingman in my opinion but not a hard, physical grunty on-baller just yet. Still, I think with his skills and pace he will almost be a sure bet to play regular senior AFL footy.

Ricky Dyson (Vic Metro)

Positives: beautiful, long raking left foot kick. Good poise and movement. Played HBF in the National Champs but can play further up the ground just as well. 181 cm. Has a very good awareness about where other players are around him i.e. ensures he can receive and dish off handballs without them hitting the ground. Not too bad overhead with the ability to leap.

Negatives: a bit slight at the moment but he will bulk up. He is most definitely an outside player i.e. not very physical.

General: He’s played for Vic Metro 2 years running being All Australian this year. Ricky has a lot of poise, moves well onto the ball and has good foot skills on his left side but he is too much of an outside player for my personal liking. Unfortunately, he reminds me too much of Joel Bowden.

Kepler Bradley (WA)

Positives: rangy 198 cm. Very, very mobile and can take a mark. Has a really good leap which aids him well at centre bounce contests. Very, very athletic. He can play ruck or key positions.

Negatives: can be a bit timid. Not very physical. Often goes for marks one handed instead of backing back into the pack – something I really hate.

General: All Australian. Won the Larke Medal. Needs to be a bit more physical, but he’s the young side of 18 this year so he will develop. Again because of a lack of talls, AFL clubs are very interested in him. Something tells me though that there is a lack of “natural” physicality about him.

Raphael Clarke (NT)

Positives: Great height (189cm), very good pace. Very flexible in that he can play CHB or CHF. Very agile and a great mark.. His marking can be outstanding when he’s on song. Has that Aboriginal flair at times.

Negatives: needs to fill out a bit, but that will come, hopefully. Gets a bit down when not playing well and not the most disciplined of players yet. Concentration needs to improve. Awkward looking kick at times, but effective never the less.

General: Had a shocking National Champs but his ability is too great to ignore. He’ll be outstanding in a few years time. He’ll be a better player than his brother Xavier, no doubt about it. I think he’ll go top 5 or 6.

Who should we get ? Who will we get ?

Firstly, we are not going to get Cooney. He’ll go number 1. From the remainder, I would love to get either Walker or Sylvia. That would be the best outcome I think for us. But I fear these two may go in the top four along with Clarke - who the Demons with pick number 3 have shown a huge interest in.

That leaves Tenace, Dunn, Dyson, Bradley, Ray and Chaplin. From these I would prefer either Tenace or Dunn. Tenace is more skilful, faster and polished, but Dunn is tougher, more physical and capable of playing tighter and being a leader.

As for what Beck actually picks, who the hell knows…..maybe a “special project player” from Tanzania.

Again, as I said, I reckon there are a bundle of other players worth considering. In fact, enough of them to suggest that trading away our later picks is crazy. I’m certain, (as was also pointed out in the papers on the weekend) that a number of “gems” are going to come from these rounds.

When I’ve got time I’ll put something up on these guys.

Some you'll have heard of...some you won't.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Isn't our first pick at number 6?

Sylvia sounds like a good prospect - is always in the bests for bendigo who are currently playing in the finals. Hopefully he will be available at 6. Apparently Carlton are interested in Tenace with their first pick (2 overall).......this would place Sylvia back in the pack.

I think the onballers will be pushed back in the draft and the better KPP will go earlier............this happened last year when Schammer was touted in the top 5 in most mock drafts yet went at pick 13.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:
Isn't our first pick at number 6?

Yeap Harry as it currently stands we have pick 6.

1 - Dogs (priority)
2 - Carlton (priority)
3 - Melbourne (priority) and its a joke btw
4 - Dogs
5 - Melb
6 - Richmond
7 - Geelong

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah, sorry. We have pick number 6. Forgot that Melbourne get a double chance.

Sylvia is a gun. I was having a look today at his stats for Bendigo throughout the entire season. Very rarely does he have a game where he gets under 20 kicks and 5 or 6 handballs. What's even more impressive is the amount of marks and tackles he racks up as well. I think in one game he had something like 13-15 tackles !

I doubt very much that Sylvia will be around at pick 6 because there is a bit of doubt about the quality of the taller, kp players this year.

In the case of Schammer last year, he was overlooked because of his size as much as anything to do with kpp's. A lot of recruiters thought he was too small. Sylvia is at 183 cm, so that won't be an issue for him.

I would be very surprised if a) Sylvia was around at pick 6 and b) if that wanker Beck would be smart enough to take him anyway.

StripedOne

I'm a llama!
Sep 9, 2003
Redmond,odd the negative about Andrew Walker,most games ive been to,TAC etc,his dad rarely goes to a huddle break,or anywhere near him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yes, that is true Stripes - I haven't seen him at the huddles but what I did see on the wekend was him talking a fair bit to Sheahan, in the rooms after the game and then at the Calder v Murray game sitting with Andrew the next day as well.

Admittedly, it's probably no big deal. Especially when you come down from the bush as a family to watch your kid play. I just pointed it out because I got the feeling he was a bit over involved.... perhaps....

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Re:Top 10 Draftees - Part 2

Hey Redford. Firstly would you mind if I merge Part 1 and part 2 together? Threads get lost in traffic pretty quickly lately so it might be an idea to keep these together.

Have you taken any notice of Chris Egan who played with the Murray Bushrangers this year?

I've followed his career through juniors. He played in 2 under 17 grand finals against my sons team. He was best on ground in the second one despite his team losing. (Lost both actually but I digress. ;D )

Chris would dominate the under 17 game then front up again and star in the seniors, even back when he could have played under 14's.

He is an aboriginal and always had brilliant skills both sides and is very fast. Fairly elusive too. He can take some real screamers. He had a goal featured on Almost Footy Legends this year.

He is fairly tall for an aboriginal player.

I realise he won't go top 10 but was wondering if he'll be picked up by someone. Even on a rookie list possibly.

I hope the kid makes it. Is really nice kid and level headed which was a welcome change form a lot of his team mates at Rumbalara.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Rosy, by all means merge the two. I couldn't fit all of the text into the message box hence the two part approach.

How do I get it into the one message box without getting a statement that the post is too long ?

I'll have another post shortly on a number of kids outside of the supposed top 10 that I listed yesterday. I actually think many of these could end up being really good AFL players - some might even be better than the 10 that most pundits feel will go first.

As for Chris Egan, yes I have seen him play. In fact I saw him play for the Bushies on the weekend. Number 26. I have to say, it is the only time I've seen him though.

He's certainly a good cut of a kid in terms of his physical build. He played on the backline against Calder. Sorry to say this, but to be honest with you Rosy, he had a very ordinary game. He made a number of basic skill errors turning the ball over by foot when coming out of the backline and missing a few targets with handballs. A friend I was with at the time noticed this as well and he was very critical of him. Sounds like a good kid though re: character etc. Maybe I 've just seen him on a bad day.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

If you get that "too long" message just send half then send the next half as a reply, rather than start a new thread if you want to keep it together.

I haven't seen Chris for a year or two so wouldn't have a clue how he's developed. I always checked the best for the Bushies and rarely saw him there, though he was often in the goal kicking.

Interesting he was in backline. Was a really creative midfielder/forward through his junior career.

I don't even know if Chris was interested in playing AFL, just a bit curious how he's travelling.

I can only think of a couple of guys from the CGFL in the last few years who actually got a crack at TAC level. None I can think of have played AFL. Might be wrong.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hi Rosy.

I've been going through the stats for the Murray Bushranger players.

You mentioned Shaun Daly in a previous post.

He has had a GREAT season going by his stats.

I'm impressed.

He gets heaps of kicks and handballs with not many of them being ineffective.

I tell you what, he likes to take a mark.
He took 17 one match 13 a couple of times and 10 a few times.

I guess he would of played juniors against your boys.
Has he always stood out at junior level?

I hope Greg Miller has in his black book.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigerman Shaun didn't play against my boys.

I was only commenting on the one game I saw a few weeks ago when Shaun and Will Gayfer filled in for Corrowa-Rutherglen in the O&M for the day.

Both were very impressive and in the top few on ground.
A big effort to step up from under 18's to dominate a game of grown men including ex AFL players.

I hope both are tied up with the Bushrangers and not able to play in the O&M final this weekend. It will make the game that much easier for our guys if they're not there. ;D

I'd be happy to see both of those guys as Tigers and will follow their careers closely wherever they end up.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Redford - in the Fighting Tiger the club has identified Josh Willoughby, Luke Herrington and Brock Mclean as players to keep an eye for. What is your opinion on these players?

Does it concern you that they have identified these players ahead of Walker, Sylvia, Chaplin, Dyson, and Clarke?

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Could bne trying to out psyche the opposition and not put all their cardso n the table. Tehy mentioned mainly the other bloeks on Monday night on Sport 927.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Harry as Shawry said, on 927 Beck (the loser that he is…) identified those players that you mention. However, all he was really doing was just regurgitating names for the listeners that came from an article that was in the Herald Sun on the weekend on the “potential top 10”.

Nobody would know what the hell they are thinking down there. I’m sure THEY don’t even know. The only thing we do know, is that they change their mind every 5 minutes on everything.

However, assuming they WERE looking at those 3 players then I would say this:

Herrington: flash in the pan. As I’ve said before on this site, had a great U/18 carnival because the ball followed him everywhere and bounced his way continuously. Played FF and on some very ordinary opponents. Good set shot. Clean hands. But at 177cm he won’t get away with that FF position at AFL level and he is not quick or sharp enough to play a forward rover roll. He looks like he might get fat as well. If we go after him I’ll spew.

Willoughby: solid U/18 carnival for SA. Was in their best in every game. All Australian. Good skills, reads the play well and finishes off in front of goal very well also. Pretty good endurance. However, as usual he is a 176 cm minnow who weighs only 69 kg. He might develop into a reasonable player, but at present he plays a bit too much outside for my liking (understandable given his size/weight) and is not what RFC need at the present time and there are far better options in my opinion.

McLean: the pick of these 3. All Australian. Not stylish, but knocks up possessions all day. Reasonable kick, and can get possessions inside and in heavy traffic. Good tackler. Has a knack for drifting forward and kicking 2 or 3 goals every game as well. Saw him play on the weekend, and while it took him a quarter to get going, he was very effective from there on in. He comes from a seriously tough family – I like that.

Sylvia, Clarke, Walker, Tenace (and a few others) are probably all better options than these 3 though……

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Redford said:
McLean: the pick of these 3. All Australian. Not stylish, but knocks up possessions all day. Reasonable kick, and can get possessions inside and in heavy traffic. Good tackler. Has a knack for drifting forward and kicking 2 or 3 goals every game as well. Saw him play on the weekend, and while it took him a quarter to get going, he was very effective from there on in. He comes from a seriously tough family – I like that.

You are correct Redford. It is a seriously tough family. His uncle Ricky is one of the scariest players ever to pull a boot on and another uncle John played for Carlton in the 60s and is no shrinking violet either.

I think Brock will develop into a very handy footballer.