top 10 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

top 10

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
name your top 10 players to pull on a tiger jumper that u have seen play.
1-Royce Hart:without a doubt the best player i have seen for the tigers.what we lack today[with respect to cambo]is a leader who could and would win matches off his own boot.royce had all this plus more.carey better that royce pftttttttt.
2-Maurice Rioli:a bit of a suprise but on pure talent and skill i have not seen anyone who could evade tacklers or practically have the ball on a string with so much ease than rioli.
3-Kevin Bartlett:despite my views on his current situation kb was a player who had the capacity to succeed anywhere on the feild.his final years in the fwd line proved this.
4-Ian Stewart:you dont win 3 brownlows for nothing.a wonderful player who would easly succceed in this modern era.
5-geoff raines:like a gazelle on the football field raines certainly was poerty in motion.
6-Francis Bourke:if i went into battle and picked someone to be with me i have no hesitation in picking francis.one of the toughest players i have seen and to compliment his toughness he could play football.
7-Mathew Knights:in the rioli mould always had time and never wasted a disposal.would easly fit into the sides of 67 to 75.
8-Dale Wieghtman:loyality would get him into the top 10 alone however you just have to watch the state of orgin matched to realise what a talent he had.one of the best handballers of all time.

9-Micheal Roach:one of the best kicks for goal in history and a leap to match.
10-Robert Wiley:a very much underated player not only from the football world but even tiger supporters.a true rover who set up plays with ease.

special mentions:
Jim Jess:one of the longest kicks in the game and a good bloke to boot.
Kevin Sheedy:example of getting the most out of yourself and i liked his killer instinct take no prisoners attitude.
Mark Lee:giant of a man and a very good ruckman.
Tom Hafey:his record speaks for itself.
Greame Richmond:GR would eat any current president alive.

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
1. Deuf Hart - the most versatile player ever - crumbing or taking a high speckie - and having the capacity to win a game off his own boot.

2. KB - Another to win a game off his own boot - such a great player they had to change the rules to kerb his brilliance.

3. Billy Barrot - just awesome when he was firing - drop kicks from the middle of the ground were just something else.

4. Kevin Sheedy - tough - not as skilled as some - but such a fantastic person to get the most out of himself. Dirty mongrel too - should be more of them too.

5. Francis Bourke - tough, never beaten.

6. Have to put Richo in even though i don't think we've ever seen what he really can do. But if he's firing, no one can stop him.

7. Dale Weightman - glad he played for the Tiges, but I wonder how good he would have been if he'd played in a top team.

8. Roger Dean - great leader and such a dirty player - loved watching him just for his academy award performances lol

9. Merve Keane - Such a reliable player - one of my favourites.

10. Maurice Rioli - fantastic skills. Would have loved to have seen him use his boxing skills more but lol.

Tommy - the best coach we've ever had.

GR - greatest administrator of all time.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
My history really only starts around 76 and later so many of the greats mentioned so far dont really apply but here goes (in no particular order btw):

1. Maurice Rioli.
2. Richo.
3. David Cloke.
4. Geoff Raines.
5. Kevin Bartlett.
6. Brad Ottens
7. Jimmy Jess
8. Francis Bourke
9. Michael Roach
10. Dale Weightman

londontiger

The New RFC Cheersquad Chant.
Dec 17, 2002
London , United Kingdon
Top ten is pretty hard.

Ok here goes.
1. Maurice Rioli - Without a doubt one of the classiest play markers I have seen.
2. Francis Bourke - Ok, poor coach by not allowing swearing in the rooms, but that legendary story about Mick Malthouse and Francis Bourke checking out Micks shoulder before the 1982 grand final showed exactly the type of footballer St Francis was. Hard as nails.
3. Dale Weightman - He was a rover that most young rovers of my age studied. Always at the foot of the ball, especially in state of origin
4. Geoff Raines - Class. He could turn on a six pence. Shame we sold him to the pies.
5. KB - Well 403 games made me proud to be a Tigers supporter.
6. Mark Lee - Best ruckman we have had in the last 25 years. (special mention to the work Greg Dear did)
7. Matthew Richardson - He is awesome at times, frustrating at others, but he has played unbelievably in some games.
8. Matthew Knights- Great Captain.
9. Tony Free - Great Captain
10. Michael Roach - Best year was when Disco, Brian Taylor and Jacko all kicked 100+ and topped each division of the goal kicking.

Special mention -
Royce Hart - never actually saw too many games, but have seen the tapes and he would easily make the top ten if I saw him
Jim Jess - The Ghost was jumping
Paul Broderick - Slow as a snail, but had a lightning handball.
Robert Wiley- Solid WA rover
Michael Mitchell - Goal of the year and mark of the year highlighted a disappointing year for the tigers.

A

admin

I haven't seen most of the greats mentioned here play live, so mine are more recent.

Top 10, no particular order.

Tony Free....a big loss
Chris Bond........tough as
Duncan Kellaway.....positives far outweigh negatives
Scott Turner......robbed by injury
Richo...enigmatic is a spot on description.
Brodder......handball extraordinaire
Knighter......skill, class and all the time in the world
Leon Cameron...as nice to watch as any player I can think of.
Gaspar
Ottens

Ready to take a spot in the near future.
Fiora