Top 25 recruits in last 5 decades | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Top 25 recruits in last 5 decades

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Stewart was the most talented player I have ever seen play the game. Not the best - just the most talented. He had talent in excess quantities across all aspects of the game: aerial, ground, kicking, not so much handball - that skill was usually reserved for rovers and the occasional big like Polly - but he was no slouch either, courage, responding to the big moment and IQ. There are other players that I would pick ahead of him in terms of their ability to influence the outcome of games - but they still wouldn't be as talented.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
The Gas was a great recruit and he should be on the list but not this high.

Question, peak Gas or peak Robbie Tarrant ( at his best at North)?

Gas I think. More BnFs and AAs. Taz probably unlucky not to have one or two AAs though, was underrated by virtue of playing for Norf.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Gas I think. More BnFs and AAs. Taz probably unlucky not to have one or two AAs though, was underrated by virtue of playing for Norf.

Playing fullback for Norf might have artificially enhanced his reputation. You would have thought he'd get a lot of chances at the footy in their backline.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Playing fullback for Norf might have artificially enhanced his reputation. You would have thought he'd get a lot of chances at the footy in their backline.

Maybe, but no one in the media really talks about them. A lot of AA voting is media driven.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Gas by an absolute mile.

People are forgetting what a great player he was. Tarrant is a workhorse but he plays in an era when the key forward is not what they once were, and team defence rules.

If he played on Lockett, Dunstall, Carey, Kernahan, Lloyd, Ablett, Modra each week without 17 team mates folding back I reckon he would be in some hurt.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Lynch is under 2 metres isn't he? I thought Gaspar was about Richo's height, low 190s. I thought it would be more like 5 or 6 cm.

Regardless, I'm not worried about the physical dimensions because Gaspar was incredibly strong, capable of playing on Carey and Lockett, but also incredibly fast on a leader like Dunstall.

I reckon Lynch would know he couldn't get away on the lead and Gaspar would be happy to sit two steps off and body spoil him all day.
If Lynch plays like he did for us last season, no one can stop him. At 199cm, his combination of endurance, strength and aerial supremacy makes him a fearsome prospect. He’s actually almost Richo like but perhaps even better at crashing packs.
Think his PCL has had a marked impact on him over several seasons but on his day would kick 5 on Gaspar.

• Love

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
If Lynch plays like he did for us last season, no one can stop him. At 199cm, his combination of endurance, strength and aerial supremacy makes him a fearsome prospect. He’s actually almost Richo like but perhaps even better at crashing packs.
Think his PCL has had a marked impact on him over several seasons but on his day would kick 5 on Gaspar.

Lynch is a good player but I wouldn't compare him to Richo.

On my homemade scale, you have God-tier, Vice God-tier, Deputy-vice God tier, great player, good player, average player, poor player.

I reckon Richo was a solid Vice God-tier, maybe even God-tier, Gaspar a deputy-vice and I'd have Lynch on the great player tier.

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
Richo would have easily taken care of Gaz...
Lynch also...and an even older Lynch would have destroyed a young Gaz...

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
Lynch is a good player but I wouldn't compare him to Richo.

On my homemade scale, you have God-tier, Vice God-tier, Deputy-vice God tier, great player, good player, average player, poor player.

I reckon Richo was a solid Vice God-tier, maybe even God-tier, Gaspar a deputy-vice and I'd have Lynch on the great player tier.
Hmmm agree on your assessment on Richo, however, had he eradicated his petulance and his inaccuracy, he would be elevated to God status