Tour De France 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tour De France 2015

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just managed to watch the highlights of stage 20. Great strategy, great execution, what an exciting stage and Jai was just so strong to pull that much time off Carapas. Won the Giro in those last few KMs.

One of the great tour stages I've seen, wish I had watched it live.

When I am commuting to work I ride around 200Km a week and I wonder if I would even make it up those hills, let alone actually racing up 3 x 15Km climbs on one day. Such a tough sport.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
They're on 20 kilometres of cobblestones today in the Tour De France, they always provide plenty of thrills and spills.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Great result for 35yo Aussie journeyman Simon Clarke who won stage 5, his first ever stage win.

What a story of perseverance, he moved to Europe at 16 years of age, I'm wrapped for him.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Great result for 35yo Aussie journeyman Simon Clarke who won stage 5, his first ever stage win.

What a story of perseverance, he moved to Europe at 16 years of age, I'm wrapped for him.

Yeah, he held his nerve and then timed the lunge perfectly. A matter of inches at the end of a 170KM stage with pavé.

Great to see Simon Clarke win a stage.

Big pity about Ben O'Connor though, I didn't see earlier in the stage, how did he lose all of that time?

DS

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah, he held his nerve and then timed the lunge perfectly. A matter of inches at the end of a 170KM stage with pavé.

Great to see Simon Clarke win a stage.

Big pity about Ben O'Connor though, I didn't see earlier in the stage, how did he lose all of that time?

DS
Got a puncture, a few of his teammates tried to help him but they couldn't bridge the gap.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Got a puncture, a few of his teammates tried to help him but they couldn't bridge the gap.

After I wrote that I did find reference to a mechanical. Puncture on a stage with pavé, would have made it so much harder to get back into the main group, plus getting the repair can be slow with team cars all blocked up on the narrow roads. Such a pity, O'Connor could win the TdF one day, but this year looks blown. Good experience for him I suppose. I was watching at one stage and he was leading a group on the cobbles, riding damned hard, and making up no time at all. Bit dispiriting really.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Great stage win by Michael Matthews in stage 14 of le tour. Has been 2nd twice in this tour so far so it was great for him to get the win.
(y):)

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Great stage win by Michael Matthews in stage 14 of le tour. Has been 2nd twice in this tour so far so it was great for him to get the win.
(y):)

The way he did it was pretty impressive too, almost dropped on the last climb but came back to pass the EF rider and go ahead. Excellent riding.

DS

Reactions: 3 users