Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Sorry people when I listen to SOS on SEN /Trade Radio (insights) I wonder how he was a list manager for both GWS & Carlton.

His vagueness when on SEN about trade questions is astonishing to say the least. At times he has no idea to what he is asked and his lack of research/information is poor.

Apologies.
You said Silivagni is hard to listen to, sit down and try to listen to lyold. Its like listening to your neighbour tell you that he has the inside information about what clubs are doing.
I read the forum for any updates.
I go to the AFL website every now then. No hearld sun (can't remember the last time i bought one)
Defiantly not the Age.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
2016 Preliminary final
2017 Preliminary final
2018 Semi Final
2019 Grand Final

I'd say he built a pretty good list.
I say he couldn't pick a talented kid to save himself.
If he was so good why did GWS *smile* him off after 15.
List managers hang around till the die in the job.
Top job at Carlton

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Think you'll find Carlton poached him rather than GWS getting rid of him.

Regardless though, you can't argue he did a great job with GWS. He formed a list from scratch and refused to build a team the way the AFL intended and had it in the top four in the fifth season.

If you compare what he did to the Gold Coast then he is a genius.
confused will ferrell GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Sorry people when I listen to SOS on SEN /Trade Radio (insights) I wonder how he was a list manager for both GWS & Carlton.

His vagueness when on SEN about trade questions is astonishing to say the least. At times he has no idea to what he is asked and his lack of research/information is poor.

Apologies.
I heard him the other day and he had no idea about the points values for the first few picks ie the Darcy bid match. FMD….that’s fundamental knowledge that he should have. Guy is a moron.

Reactions: 3 users

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Geelong wanted pick 8 for a guy in their reserves. LMFAO.
SPS a Carlton regular, handy, but not a great player, pick 52 offered from the Eagles for the former pick 6.

Clark can't get a game, is quick, but hasn't shown much else. Pick 8 for a former pick 15.

Spuds are more valuable the less games they play.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
This time of year always reminds me of the inside goss an old workmate used to give me via his son in the VFL.

Told me once that the Tiges are going to get a gun player, number 34 for Freo, played in the GF.

Spurr?

No, Alex Conti.....

There was no such player, and the other one the Tiges were into was Taylor Petrenko, again, totally made up....

No idea what he was playing at lol

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
SPS a Carlton regular, handy, but not a great player, pick 52 offered from the Eagles for the former pick 6.

Clark can't get a game, is quick, but hasn't shown much else. Pick 8 for a former pick 15.

Spuds are more valuable the less games they play.
Pick 8? Really?

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
He refused to sell the farm on a marquee signing and instead took young leaders, high draft picks and veterans with a coaching instinct and just built so many high picks there had to be enough talent to come through.

In the early days when they were belted he was questioned but there's no doubt now he nailed the strategy and I'll bet the Tassie franchise will run his playbook to the letter.
Interesting take TBR.

My wife won an award for her work, and the organisation brought Kevin Sheedy in to present it and give a pep talk.

He claimed a fair chunk of credit saying it was his experience that you need a good level of experienced leaders in your organisation so that it helps the younger employees learn the right behaviours and to set up a good culture. He was very big on establishing the right culture to try build success and retain the youth.

I think it's worked, particularly in comparison to GCS. The key thing is, I guess I can argue with SOS' successful strategy, as it may not be entirely his.

Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Think you'll find Carlton poached him rather than GWS getting rid of him.

Regardless though, you can't argue he didn't do a great job with GWS. He formed a list from scratch and refused to build a team the way the AFL intended and had it in the top four in the fifth season.

If you compare what he did to the Gold Coast then he is a genius.
Look at his performance at Saints and Carlton to bookend his GWS stint.
As the joke goes he could have followed the draft board on BF and got the same outcome. Agree on his strategy to not sell the farm on an Ablett type. But he had draft concessions that were ridiculous. How could you not stuff that up.
his Saints and Blues stints were highly uninspiring.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It helps both clubs out. They aren't doing that trade for goodwill. It helps Gold Coast a lot too, they literally have no OOC players so they don't need any picks this year.

Even Pick 3 will just replace MacPherson when he is traded with 19 to North.
Probably GC had little other options.
They don't want the picks this year. As you say no list spots.
And no club will trade out a first rounder for those picks.
So they've effectively converted 22 into a 19 or 20 next year and so on.
Not much of a gain in pick position.
But they got the deal done and walk away.
Both clubs win from this

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Probably GC had little other options.
They don't want the picks this year. As you say no list spots.
And no club will trade out a first rounder for those picks.
So they've effectively converted 22 into a 19 or 20 next year and so on.
Not much of a gain in pick position.
But they got the deal done and walk away.
Both clubs win from this

Agree. They had the choice to try and deal with multiple clubs for multiple future picks and get better deals, though take the risk that they were left with picks that they couldn't use, or offload them all in 1 go. I think they did the right thing personally. The trade worked out very well for both teams.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Look at his performance at Saints and Carlton to bookend his GWS stint.
As the joke goes he could have followed the draft board on BF and got the same outcome. Agree on his strategy to not sell the farm on an Ablett type. But he had draft concessions that were ridiculous. How could you not stuff that up.
his Saints and Blues stints were highly uninspiring.
Yeh, he’s fantastically uninspiring to listen to and he did no better than a random number generator would have with GWS.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Carlton could be interesting. If GWS, GC and crows are out.
Cerra for a first rounder. But surely the blues would love to split 6.

6 and 25
For
15 and 17 (or 20)

Carlton wouldn't want to hand over 25, we'd probably need to include a later pick)

Would you do it?
It would give us 6, 7, 25, 26 depending on the other trades.
Possibly:
Erasmus
Van Rooyen
Zac Taylor
Josh Brown

Or keep the hand of 7, 15, 17 and 26 (for example depending on the other trades.)
And get :
Erasmus
Goater
Butler
Josh Brown

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Interesting take TBR.

My wife won an award for her work, and the organisation brought Kevin Sheedy in to present it and give a pep talk.

He claimed a fair chunk of credit saying it was his experience that you need a good level of experienced leaders in your organisation so that it helps the younger employees learn the right behaviours and to set up a good culture. He was very big on establishing the right culture to try build success and retain the youth.

I think it's worked, particularly in comparison to GCS. The key thing is, I guess I can argue with SOS' successful strategy, as it may not be entirely his.
So if you need experienced leaders then perhaps GWS could have started by enticing a few more of them from other clubs rather than relying mostly on recruiting top 17 and 18 y.o's which they seemed to concentrate on. GC made even worse mistakes starting with rugby players to appeal to the QLD public but then they did beat us early on so I have to be careful what I say!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
People say that but the Gold Coast had a fair crack at it as well and got nowhere.

I'm the first to say drafting is more good luck than good management, but Silvagni deserves enormous credit for refusing to buckle to AFL pressure to use picks to trade in established players from other clubs.

He refused to sell the farm on a marquee signing and instead took young leaders, high draft picks and veterans with a coaching instinct and just built so many high picks there had to be enough talent to come through.

In the early days when they were belted he was questioned but there's no doubt now he nailed the strategy and I'll bet the Tassie franchise will run his playbook to the letter.
SOS gets a pass mark for what he did at GWS.
He was at Carlton for 5 years and has been gone for 2. You would expect to see some improvement after 7 years, but there hasn't been any, they have in fact gone backwards.
In his 4th (2nd last) year they only won 2 games. He gets a F for failed at Carlton for his time as list manager.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
So if you need experienced leaders then perhaps GWS could have started by enticing a few more of them from other clubs rather than relying mostly on recruiting top 17 and 18 y.o's which they seemed to concentrate on. GC made even worse mistakes starting with rugby players to appeal to the QLD public but then they did beat us early on so I have to be careful what I say!
GWS got players like C Cornes , Ward, Davis, Power, Rhys Palmer and Israel Folau.
GCS got Ablett x 2, Brennan, Harbrow, Daniel Harris, Campbell Brown, Nathan Bock, Rischetelli, Karmichael Hunt.
A lot of the GWS players were end of career, GCS middle of. GCS spent a lot of money and couldn't get them on the park mostly.
GWS got it right, even if they haven't won a premiership by now. At least they were close.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
People say that but the Gold Coast had a fair crack at it as well and got nowhere.

I'm the first to say drafting is more good luck than good management, but Silvagni deserves enormous credit for refusing to buckle to AFL pressure to use picks to trade in established players from other clubs.

Nothing wrong with GC recruiting. Lynch, Prestia, Caddy, May premiership players. Add to that O'Meara, Dixon, Matera, Martin, Lyons, Saad, 2m Peter who have all left the club. Add those blokes to the recent draftees and those that have hung around like Miller, Swallow, Day, Fiorini, Lukoscious, Rankine, King, Rowell, Anderson and that's a pretty decent team.

The problem GC had was retention. This related to culture which is what separates GWS and GC IMO. Giants embedded a strong culture early on with some experienced campaigners at the helm (Sheedy, Chocco, Allen, McConnell, Lambert) compared to GWS who had a rookie coach and not much more around him.

Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Carlton could be interesting. If GWS, GC and crows are out.
Cerra for a first rounder. But surely the blues would love to split 6.

6 and 25
For
15 and 17 (or 20)

Carlton wouldn't want to hand over 25, we'd probably need to include a later pick)

Would you do it?
It would give us 6, 7, 25, 26 depending on the other trades.
Possibly:
Erasmus
Van Rooyen
Zac Taylor
Josh Brown

Or keep the hand of 7, 15, 17 and 26 (for example depending on the other trades.)
And get :
Erasmus
Goater
Butler
Josh Brown
I dont think 6 is on the table to be split Dell. Freo on public record saying no deal w/out 6.

Carlton know this too. I think from what is being said/written in the media (the better media), its just quibbling now re later picks (ie, 25 for 27, 3rd or 4th R swaps).

Geelong wont accept either the 25 or 27. So, will be interesting to see if Freo try and split Pick 8 (their own 1st rounder).