Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Port would have been very hard to beat in 2020 if they had got through to the grand final. Agree on 2019
I think in Brisbane the Cats would have had ports measure , Port were good at home but were always going to be against it away in Brisbane
Cats had us on toast with 5 minutes to go before half time and they were on fire.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Port would have been very hard to beat in 2020 if they had got through to the grand final. Agree on 2019
In 2020 I felt the 2 best teams played off in the Port V Us prelim and the winner of that would win the flag. Admittedly I may have been revising that view midway through the 2nd quarter of the GF.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The other thing that gets overlooked is they were about as close to winning flags as it is possible to get in 2019 and 20.

At halftime in the preliminary and the Grand Final they were more likely to win than lose. It's impossible to argue with anything they have done when it gets them to that point.

Yeah, Geelong not winning a flag over the past 10 years is like flipping a coin a few times and getting tails each time.

On average, you'd normally expect to get heads at some stage given how close they were. It's silly to write them off as having completely failed and to expect all future clubs with a similar strategy to also fail.

One question that comes to mind for me is whether culture, values, internal narratives etc affect the coin toss to some extent.

If so, I think ours were as good as they get while theirs was as bad they get - but that's another topic... Geelong would normally be expected to have taken at least 1 flag over the past 10 years IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Yeah, Geelong not winning a flag over the past 10 years is like flipping a coin a few times and getting tails each time.

On average, you'd normally expect to get heads at some stage given how close they were. It's silly to write them off as having completely failed and to expect all future clubs with a similar strategy to also fail.

One question that comes to mind for me is whether culture, values, internal narratives etc affect the coin toss to some extent.

If so, I think ours were as good as they get while theirs was as bad they get - but that's another topic... Geelong would normally be expected to have taken at least 1 flag over the past 10 years IMO.

Yep. It’s a free kick/ taken mark in the prelim final against port and we lose that and Geelong probably win. Or Martin gets injured instead of vlaustin (although that was a big win for Geelong in and of itself). Or looking at us a better kick in by houlhi may have got us a double chance a few years earlier.

I’d bemoaned forever our lack of luck (1998 was massively unlucky) but when it turned it turned big. The end of 2017 was amazing for us in how it played out.

Suck *smile* Geelong.

Reactions: 4 users

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
I agree but Richmond have cost them 2 flags
If not for the Tigers i truly believe they would have had the 2019 & 2020 flags , They were 1 Dustin Martin short of having another 2 premierships
Geelong back their stars and haven't been able to develop and integrate the youngsters. That is their weakness.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Geelong back their stars and haven't been able to develop and integrate the youngsters. That is their weakness.

Agree, you need to do both to have a successful team. All of the recent premiers have that in common, Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, all developed internally from the draft and then traded for quality specific needs.

Jewell

Tiger Cub
May 4, 2006
Agree, you need to do both to have a successful team. All of the recent premiers have that in common, Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, all developed internally from the draft and then traded for quality specific needs.

This is it...along with a strong administration to back it up....and also the reason why tonight is all about the long term, not just about addressing our most immediate need for next year

Draft for best talent and then fill gaps with trades and the odd free agent. Provide the best possible development for the kids and give them opportunity . That's the bit Geelong missed

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

Yeah, basically everyone is more professional at recruiting, trading, etc., so you need to be good in all areas. We drafted our stars then filled in the gaps with an approach that never robbed from one department to help another apartment do better.

The management team is responsible for building a system of people who work together efficiently.

Carlton still have their left hand pinching their nose while their right hand's scratching their balls, and you know they don't wash those hands.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
So far we have picked 2 defenders.
Our glaring weakness this year has been our midfield.
Wonder if we will now concentrate on a couple of mids in our next picks.