Trade talk 2019/20 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade talk 2019/20

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
From spooks numbers, i clearly have my salary judgement pretty wrong.

I thought your fringe bloke who play a few senior games would be on $250k (menadues and butlers) and your desirable rising stars ($hai, stackman) on close to twice that on a new deal?

But yeah it sounds like im wrong.

If $250 is the median, a rookie like Weller is on $90? and Dusty/tom on $1.1m,

i reckon id offer $hai $1m over 3?

Maybe id be a better player manager than list manager?

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
A pick under 40 for Butler is a bonus

Yes it is but he is also a Premiership player which up's his rating, we need to squeeze the best out for him that we can.

Dan has more value to other clubs than he does to the RFC.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Stack Shai, and Baker ended Dans time at the TIgers, all 3 have him covered for talent hardness and and ability to win the footy.

Reactions: 4 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Stack Shai, and Baker ended Dans time at the TIgers, all 3 have him covered for talent hardness and and ability to win the footy.

Exactly, all 3 can be played through the middle at times. Butler can't.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I doubt he will go to West Coast. Freo may come sniffing around though.

Only way is if Kelly deal doesn't happen. Then he'd be a prime target. Hard to see it happening. He may as well accept a 2 year deal and stay at the Tigers. If he performs he'll then demand the big dollars in his next contract at 22yo. If he chases pure money now then clearly he's not confident in his own abilities.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
If he chases pure money now then clearly he's not confident in his own abilities.
I think the opposite - he may be demanding a premium because he sees himself as a premium player - nothing wrong with that if u can back it up.

sportshow

Tiger Rookie
Apr 14, 2009
Ralph Carr just making some media noise as he does - i think everything i've heard come out of his mouth is loves the club and melbourne so that would mean he's staying ....

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think the opposite - he may be demanding a premium because he sees himself as a premium player - nothing wrong with that if u can back it up.

Well depends what the premium is. But if he leaves the Tigers purely for a extra few dollars then seems to me it would lack foresight and belief in his own abilities to back it up as you say. I don't believe he'll leave and will make the smart choice. If h performs he'll be demanding a lot more when his next contract is up for discussion.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Only way is if Kelly deal doesn't happen. Then he'd be a prime target. Hard to see it happening. He may as well accept a 2 year deal and stay at the Tigers. If he performs he'll then demand the big dollars in his next contract at 22yo. If he chases pure money now then clearly he's not confident in his own abilities.

I think the Kelly deal will happen and I think West Coast will overpay personally. Reason being is I don't think they win the premiership this year and I think they want to give themselves a good shot at another before their players start dropping off a cliff. They actually have quite an old first team, Hunr (32), Kennedy (32), McGovern (27), Gaff (27), Natanui (29), Redden (28), Shuey (29), Jetta (30), Darling (27).

Personally think they will pay at least 2 picks in the top 20, possibly 3 (and get a later pick back from Geelong). We might be able to get involved in this trade from a picks perspective and its likely it would be to our advantage. Or potentially manage to squeeze someone out of there. Maybe someone like Brander or Venables.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
A big rumour is Footscray are after josh bruce.
Do they want to be in the top 4 or bottom 4??
I rather go after bruce lee

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
500 would still put him in our top 10 paid players. Won't happen. No one will offer him that either, unless they're desperate and have massive cap room, neither of which applies to West Coast. In 2017, 135 players in the league earned 500k plus - that's seven-eight players per club. 331 players earned less than 300k, 148 between 300-400, and 89 between 400-500.

Salaries have gone up a little but we have two blokes on a mil and four more on 600+. The money goes to the top guys.

He'll stay, for an appropriate amount. Of course, as you point out, if he lights up September his price goes up, but even then if he gets three years at 400, Ralph has done very well, I reckon.
Bingo spook. It's bloody amazing how us fans over hype what a players supposed $ value is. The cream on top get very well looked after, there's a mid tier who earn good coin and then there's a massive raft of journey men n as yet unfulfilled potential that earn a base plus match payments.
Young fella like Shai would be in the position where there's probably about $250 base plus match payments ( a full senior season is over $100k on top of the base ) over a two to three year deal. Kids got some talent but he's nowhere near to putting it all together over a period yet.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
The size of Bolton's pay packet for next year will depend on whether he can fire today or whether for the fourth week in a row its a bit too hot for him at his current level of development. Can't see him being quiet again and lining up in the next final. And once your out the next guy usually does handsprings to ensure you don't get a second bite of the cherry.

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Bolton would be bonkers to leave Richmond.He could not be in a better situation for his talent to thrive & he would surely have to know that.
I cant imagine the Eagles to be so significantly better off cap-wise where 'out bidding' can be a factor. The only reasons he would want to go to the Eagles is ths 'go home; factor. I've been to Perth, so if that is the case I must assume his mum is a super cook.

In saying all that, there would definitely be some teams out there with some real hard cap space to offer him a godfather deal. & depending how big and crazy that deal could look = we could have a problem. Shai flashes elite brilliance that make people remember who Andrew McLeod was. Gold Coast, St Kilda, Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Fremantle & especially the Blues would love this guy, especially if they get Betts back. Bolton will definitely has suiters - with the tremendous success we have had with our style of frantic, yet silky play - , nearly every team trying to replicate us would have serious interest in him

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So Brad Hill has chosen st Kilda as his new club at $900k a season. Just don’t think he’s worth that kind of money.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So Brad Hill has chosen st Kilda as his new club at $900k a season. Just don’t think he’s worth that kind of money.

Very expensive but also exactly what the Saints need and will be great at Superhero stadium.

Suspect the trade will end up something like Pick 5 with getting Pick 24 back. For all the players apparently going to the Saints they will need to get creative to get the rest in.