Trade talk 2019/20 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade talk 2019/20

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
nah we as a club want to win. if Dusty went to north would we have wanted him to play out the season and help win the flag? of course.

Same for Dan. Let him prepare for his future. I AM sure he hasnt missed training etc.
It would be different if the other club was still in finals but they are not.
As supporters we can keep our tribalism but lets
allow the players their professionalism

Reactions: 5 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
nah we as a club want to win. if Dusty went to north would we have wanted him to play out the season and help win the flag? of course.

Same for Dan. Let him prepare for his future. I AM sure he hasnt missed training etc.
It would be different if the other club was still in finals but they are not.
As supporters we can keep our tribalism but lets
allow the players their professionalism

I can understand that in the scheme of things this isn’t a big deal and that he was always looking like going at the end of the year and in six weeks time some sort of deal will have been done and it’ll all be history. Fair enough.

But it’s the professionalism bit (or lack of) that irks me with this Butler thing.
Surely the whole basis of our culture over the past couple of years has been “connection”.
Having a bloke checking out another club during the season doesn’t seem to fit in with that.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I'd say the club would have given him the all clear to do so

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Butler for Carlton’s 2020 second round pick.

However, if Bolton decides to head West we may need to hang on to Butler.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Butler for Carlton’s 2020 second round pick.

However, if Bolton decides to head West we may need to hang on to Butler.

Give $hai Butlers salary over a 2 year deal, putting $hai on about $500?

and replace Dan with a kid at the draft on $80K for those 2 years?

so yeah, 2nd rounder from the blues should work.

Although if Dan kicks another 4 in the VFL prelim and another 4 in the GF,

we could stroke SOS out of a first rounder.

He is a premiership hero after all.

you have to pay for what's in these bloke sock drawers.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Give $hai Butlers salary over a 2 year deal, putting $hai on about $500?

and replace Dan with a kid at the draft on $80K for those 2 years?

so yeah, 2nd rounder from the blues should work.

Although if Dan kicks another 4 in the VFL prelim and another 4 in the GF,

we could stroke SOS out of a first rounder.

He is a premiership hero after all.

you have to pay for what's in these bloke sock drawers.
Shai won't get anything near 500, ez. More like 300, if he meets targets.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Shai won't get anything near 500, ez. More like 300, if he meets targets.

I reckon it will take 500 to keep him, and I reckon we'll do it.

500 aint what it used to be, and there's no flies on Ralph.

I reckon $hai could easily make 100 grand a year in a quarter of footy in the next month.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
pick 8 is unreasonable, but pick 34 is not enough for mine. premiership player who's a certainty to be in their best 22. Plus will surely be enticed with a pay rise. Pick 20-25 is about right

We owe these pricks for demanding a 1st Rd pick for Yarran. It’s pick 8 for Butts and 18 or they can GAGFd

we should remind them of this at the trade table.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

I reckon $hai could easily make 100 grand a year in a quarter of footy in the next month.
500 would still put him in our top 10 paid players. Won't happen. No one will offer him that either, unless they're desperate and have massive cap room, neither of which applies to West Coast. In 2017, 135 players in the league earned 500k plus - that's seven-eight players per club. 331 players earned less than 300k, 148 between 300-400, and 89 between 400-500.

Salaries have gone up a little but we have two blokes on a mil and four more on 600+. The money goes to the top guys.

He'll stay, for an appropriate amount. Of course, as you point out, if he lights up September his price goes up, but even then if he gets three years at 400, Ralph has done very well, I reckon.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Nah, see ya boys.

Baker Castagna Rioli Stack amongst others have got it covered. Did I mention Towner.
Don't see Townsend at the club next year. Got a year on the rookie list in 2020 as a gesture to a premiership player, played 1 game and didn't impress. Had the best month of his footy life at the end of 2017, and he will always be remembered and loved for that, but the ride is over.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
"Hey, Balmey. Ralph Carr."
"Hello, Ralph."
"So, you probably saw in the paper, West Coast are making a big play for Shai."
"Oh, are they, mate?"
"Yeah. He really wants to stay at Richmond, but the dollar difference is pretty significant."
"Oh. Gee."
"Yeah, if you guys could match I'm sure Shai would stay."
"I'm sure you're sure."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Even if you got close -"
"How are they going to trade for him, Ralph? Or pay him? Everybody knows they're getting Tim Kelly. That will use up every bit of their trade currency and salary cap."
"..."
"..."
"But -"
"Take the offer, Ralph. It's fair."
"..."
"..."
"Let me take this back to my client."
"You do that, Ralph."
"Can you get him a Puma deal?"
"Bye, Ralph."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
500 would still put him in our top 10 paid players. Won't happen. No one will offer him that either, unless they're desperate and have massive cap room, neither of which applies to West Coast. In 2017, 135 players in the league earned 500k plus - that's seven-eight players per club. 331 players earned less than 300k, 148 between 300-400, and 89 between 400-500.

Salaries have gone up a little but we have two blokes on a mil and four more on 600+. The money goes to the top guys.

He'll stay, for an appropriate amount. Of course, as you point out, if he lights up September his price goes up, but even then if he gets three years at 400, Ralph has done very well, I reckon.
I suggested about a month ago that it was possible that we might have to pay $400 to keep him. I reckon that is probably now the reality and that both parties should wind up feeling pretty comfortable with 400 over 3.
If he doesn’t settle at that he should be forced into the pre-season draft as under no circumstances should he be cleared to a top 8 side.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I suggested about a month ago that it was possible that we might have to pay $400 to keep him. I reckon that is probably now the reality and that both parties should wind up feeling pretty comfortable with 400 over 3.
If he doesn’t settle at that he should be forced into the pre-season draft as under no circumstances should he be cleared to a top 8 side.
400 will be the top end, I reckon Jim, and he'll have to perform in September to get near it.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

You mean 500 for 2 years? He aint worth 500 for a year. And likely will never be worth that. Would be shocked if we did that.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
His kicking is flawed. He needs to work on this aspect of his game before he commands the big dollars.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
400 will be the top end, I reckon Jim, and he'll have to perform in September to get near it.

I'd think $350k but with performance triggers that get him upto $400k / year is fair.

I doubt he will go to West Coast. Freo may come sniffing around though.