Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Noah gives us the inside word….

Noah Cumberland lifts the lid on what’s happening on and off the track at Tigerland as the quest to prize the flag window back open begins. Sam Landsberger

What does a full day of November training look like for Richmond’s youngsters? On Thursday it started with a 90-minute training run at Punt Rd, beginning at about 10am.

“We had our main session with a bit of skills and conditioning,” boom youngster Noah Cumberland told the Herald Sun after they had clocked off at 3pm.

“After that we move into the club and have a bit of lunch and hit the showers and the ice baths. Then, after lunch, we move into a thing called fundamentals, which is a bit more craft and the basics – kicking and the technique side of things.

“We’ve got a new strengthening coach named Marcus (Krygger), which is always good to have a fresh face. He’s taking us through our strength program.”

Krygger has crossed from St Kilda to help tone the Tigers. So, who is pumping the biggest weights in the gym?

“Definitely not me, I did my AC joint so I’m sort of in rehab trying to get a little bit stronger,” Cumberland said.

“But you've got your likes of Jack Ross, who is always putting in the hard yards and getting everything out of it.

“Rhyan Mansell’s looking really good. All the young boys are stepping out and getting a lot stronger now and putting in a lot more work in the gym.”

THE TIME-TRIAL

Pre-season officially kicked off with a stopwatch on Monday. The 2km dash was a tough task.

“It was hard work, don’t get me wrong,” Cumberland, 21, said.

“It’s always hard and it’s always nerve-racking. I think a lot of the boys get more nervous for a time-trial than they do for their own game.

“I can second that as well, because I was absolutely s****ing myself. But we all ran well. Hugo Ralphsmith, Jack Ross and (Josh) Gibcus were all up there.”

Those four are arguably the early summer standouts, with fitness staff thrilled at the condition Cumberland, Gibcus, Ross and Ralphsmith returned in.

The word from the west is Marlion Pickett, who is training over in Perth on his break, is also in super nick.

Cumberland – in his third AFL pre-season – now knows this is the time to set up a super season.

“If you put in the hard yards early it makes everything a little bit easier,” he said.

“That’s what I’ve learnt, and that’s what I’ve done this year.

As for who won the time-trial? Ralphsmith, of course.

“He’s a natural athletic human being,” Cumberland said.

“He’s a really good runner, but he puts in the work as well.”

THE RECRUITS

Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper – each signed for the next seven seasons – have made a headstart to their Tiger contracts by joining the kids on the track.

It’s been welcomed.

“They've come down a few weeks early to show their faces and get around the young boys,” Cumberland said.

“You've got Taranto’s skills and his class and then you’ve got Hopper’s strength. They’re very competitive boys, which is something that we (base) our game on.

“They’ve got class. I’ve seen them train these last few days and there skills are another thing, but they’re even better blokes, so it’s good to have them on board.”

Ralphsmith described them as “two of the best blokes I've ever met”.

What about their tattoos?

“I see Taranto’s got a few bad stickers and I think Hopper wants to get a bit of ink, too, he was telling me, just to fit in,” Cumberland said.

They weren't the only ones to arrive early, with Toby Nankervis, Jayden Short, Ross and Robbie Tarant (who jogged laps) all spotted at Punt Rd.

The Tigers have played 13 finals in the past six seasons, and so it’s no surprise plenty of the decorated champions are still enjoying their time off.

And for anyone considering writing the Tigers off, it’s worth remembering they led in the last quarter of 21 of 23 games in 2022 before landing these GWS guns.

And the two games they didn’t, against Adelaide and Melbourne, they led halfway through the third term instead.

NEW VOICE

David Teague appeared to run Thursday‘s main training session and alongside him was Ben Rutten.

‘Truck’ is back at the Tigers, next to the ‘Teague train’ with both coaches landing at Richmond after their brutal sackings.

Rutten spent 2015-2018 at Punt Rd before crossing to Essendon and so while the kids on the track are fresh faces, there will be plenty of familiarity next season.

“I’ve had a few chats with him and he’s keen to get started. He’s going to take the backline this year and put in the work there and teach us things he knows, which will be handy,” Cumberland said.

“He’s got a lot to give.”

FAMILIAR VOICE

Kane Lambert, the heart-and-soul Tiger who retired this year, is back as a development coach and was also on the track on Thursday.

The players are thrilled that Lambert has stayed. He is so easy to speak to.

“He’s an absolute ripper of a bloke, on and off the field,” Cumberland said.

“So it’s always good to have a bloke that’s really well connected around the club come through and teach us the ins and outs that he knows.

“I always have great confidence going to him to ask questions.”

MAN MOUNTAIN

Triple-premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis stands 199cm and weighs 102kg. Standing next to teammate Mate Colina at a tackling drill he looked small.

Colina, 23, is the AFL‘s tallest player. This bloke is listed at 213cm and 111kg, and lumbering around he made 2020 best-and-fairest winner Jayden Short look like an Auskicker.

That’s no slight on Short, who is, well, Short. That’s just what it’s like looking at Colina.

“I actually was walking in the hallway and ran into him. I literally had to lift my head up to say, ‘Geez, sorry mate’, Cumberland said.

“He’s a monster of a human, and a good bloke. He was in the gym today with us lifting the big weights.”

The Croatian is Noah Balta’s cousin and was playing college basketball in Hawaii before landing at Punt Rd.

Colina played seven VFL games last year and averaged fewer than five disposals. His kicking action needs refining, but there is a big ball of muscle for the Tigers to work with.

And if he breaks through for an AFL debut he will become the tallest player in AFL history, going – and growing – past 211cm rucks Mason Cox (Collingwood), Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle), Ned Reeves (Hawthorn) and Peter Street (Geelong and Western Bulldogs).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users

Bourke'sFifthSymphony

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
Great to have Jacob and Tim join the team.
In reality, none of these key recruitments would have been achieved without the selfless, generous salary cuts, of senior champions like Trent Cotchin.
Teams like Melbourne and Geelong are disintegrating, Geelong has lost three assistants in the off-season.
Whereas Damien Hardwick and Trent are building an inspirational team culture for generations to come.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Interestingly Scully was interviewed on SEN and mentioned the Tigers seemed the most keen on discussions with him. I think he is in the frame for one of our selections

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Guaranteed to be drafted by Essington now !!
Just saw Adrain Dudordorito just now heading towards Mickey Mouse Arena for the draft...

licking lips GIF by ONE World Sports

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Great to have Jacob and Tim join the team.
In reality, none of these key recruitments would have been achieved without the selfless, generous salary cuts, of senior champions like Trent Cotchin.
Teams like Melbourne and Geelong are disintegrating, Geelong has lost three assistants in the off-season.
Whereas Damien Hardwick and Trent are building an inspirational team culture for generations to come.

A good team they will be.

Truck will sort the defence quick smart, and Teague did a great job with the forwards last year.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I were reluctant to post anything on Thursday's training, (as only 16 participating fully), so would prefer to wait until senior players rejoin but a couple of things:

Found out that Sonz DID NOT need or have any clean-up surgery, only reason he is only running the first week back is he cut his foot awhile back. I would not be surprised if he is back with main group as early as next week?
Banks doing a bit of running but not much else but have no news on that.

The first lot of Shuttle Runs were won and lost.
Ok so of the 16 they were broken into to groups key position & mids although JNR was placed with the talls and Gibcus the smalls so obviously determined by their running ability so they wouldn't be embarrassed.

From memory Talls, (who were required to do 1 less shuttle in each set), in this group were Colina, Nank, Bauer, Biggie, Ryan, Junior. Colina won the first set of 6 and Bauer came last. They then did more training and did more shuttles at the end with results slightly different. In the second lot Samson came last.

The smalls were Tarranto, Hopper, Gibcus, Mansell, Hugo, Clarke, Brown, Shorty, Ross, Dow, Cumberland.
The first set of shuttles was won by Tarranto followed by Ross , last Brown & Hopper.
All i can remember from second set was Gibcus won and Brown came last.

**Looks to me that Jack Ross is a bit leaner and running on the top of the ground, (maybe looking at improved outside run which i thought was pretty good last year?)

So as you can see i have basically reported very little of relevance but my question to you all is something better than nothing? or nothing better than something? until the whole squad is back.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 40 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I were reluctant to post anything on Thursday's training, (as only 16 participating fully), so would prefer to wait until senior players rejoin but a couple of things:

Found out that Sonz DID NOT need or have any clean-up surgery, only reason he is only running the first week back is he cut his foot awhile back. I would not be surprised if he is back with main group as early as next week?

Ok so of the 16 they were broken into to groups key position & mids although JNR was placed with the talls and Gibcus the smalls so obviously determined by their running ability so they wouldn't be embarrassed.

From memory Talls, (who were required to do 1 less shuttle in each set), in this group were Colina, Nank, Bauer, Biggie, Ryan, Junior. Colina won the first set of 6 and Bauer came last. They then did more training and did more shuttles at the end with results slightly different. In the second lot Samson came last.

The smalls were Tarranto, Hopper, Gibcus, Mansell, Hugo, Clarke, Brown, Shorty, Ross, Dow, Cumberland.
The first set of shuttles was won by Tarranto followed by Ross , last Brown & Hopper.

**Looks to me that Jack Ross is a bit leaner and running on the top of the ground, (maybe looking at improved outside run which i thought was pretty good last year?)

So as you can see i have basically reported very little of relevance but my question to you all is something better than nothing? or nothing better than something? until the whole squad is back.
Anything's better than nothing Julius. Good work.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Something is much better than nothing Caesar. Very much appreciated. Great to see Rossy putting his best foot forward. Must look tough with Tarranto and Hopper arriving. Also great to hear about Sonz

Reactions: 9 users

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020

Definitely great to get these reports Ceasar.

Colina must have had @Dont Argue ’s scathing criticism in mind when he came out and went whoosh in the first set of 6, before dialling it back in the later shuttles so as not to embarass DA any further.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
So what am I hoping to see in the lead-up 2023:

Judson Clarke : Has the speed and endurance and footskills so hitting the weights for strength and putting on some size the priority.
Listed as 180cm and 72kg, they see him in a Lambert type role who was 178cm and 77kg which is still pretty light but
shows you don't need to be huge to be a gun player. (oh and we just happen to have Lambert stay on as dedicated
Juddy development coach ;) )

Josh Gibcus : Has speed and endurance not 100% sold on his kicking yet but seems more than adequate so like above weights and size the go. Listed as 196cm and 87kg, end target in couple of years you'd think to play at about 94kg?
Coaches instructions should be to back in your marking ability and better directional spoiling.

Samson Ryan : Should have Olivia Newton John's 'Let's Get Physical' on loop. Size pretty good 206cm and 104kg, (but include a few more weights for strength). As an example Soldo who is a beast plays at 107kg. Endurance, endurance, endurance should also be his mantra in the off-season. Improve both those and he will be holding his ground and taking a lot more marks.

MJ : Pretty simple really run, run, run as fast and far as you can, (more endurance please). Coaches instruction, hunt the ball!.
Question: Is there no leg weights program or kicking mechanics change that can improve a players distance in kicking?, Junior struggles to kick 40 metres.

Cumberland : What i want is what i think we will get, (better endurance), already putting in the work, size, speed, grunt, all good.

Sam Banks : 187cm and 71kg, so add some size and become a bit more contested, fitness levels are good.

Tom Brown : A few more angry pills to increase intensity and a bit more contested, has all the skills.

Sonsie : Injury free run at pre-season, plenty of running that he missed out on getting under his belt last year.

Balta : Has habit of coming back under-done, last year looked to be the same but Noah said that he had lifted too many weights and came back heavy. Definitely needs to put in plenty of running, 194cm and 102kg is too heavy.

Dusty : Nothing more than to come back happy in himself and back in love with the game. Oh and I am sure he is a proud man
and wouldn't have wanted his career to end with a downer like last year so maybe he does still have something to prove.

All pretty obvious observations but I had nothing better to do than express my thoughts until the 21st of November comes around.

Feel free list your own what you'd like to see in pre-season.
Those first 9 young players ,he'll what talent.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
but my question to you all is something better than nothing? or nothing better than something? until the whole squad is back.
Of course it is... I don't wanna be having to get in the car and drive up and down Punt Rd to do a welfare check....
*smile* the players.... we need a proof of life post hitting the board every training session!

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Definitely great to get these reports Ceasar.

Colina must have had @Dont Argue ’s scathing criticism in mind when he came out and went whoosh in the first set of 6, before dialling it back in the later shuttles so as not to embarass DA any further.
Funny although factually incorrect.
I was scathing of Sampson Ryan and critical that he couldn’t beat Colina who is starting his first preseason.
And Caesars latest observations don’t alter my concerns.

And I now turn my attention to our prized pick 17 in Brown. Very disappointing result for a supposedly good athlete.
Last in both shuttles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

Much prefer anything over nothing. it's still something. Gives us a teaser for when the whole crew are back.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I was scathing of Sampson Ryan and critical that he couldn’t beat Colina who is starting his first preseason.

And I now turn my attention to our prized pick 17 in Brown. Very disappointing result for a supposedly good athlete.
Last in both shuttles.
Geez. Are we wanting November champions now. Whatever happened to the good old March champions we all loved not so long ago???

• Love

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020

Last in both shuttles.

You did for some reason pick Colina out especially as someone Ryan should be beating in the 2km run. You did totally imagine that you somehow need stronger legs to run on turf than you do to run on a basketball court as if someone who trains principally on an athletics track has no chance against a person who trains on a footy ground in the Stawell Gift for example. You did point out Ryan is in his third pre-season whereas Colina is in his first, totally ignoring the fact Colina was more or less a full time athlete for the last few years, certainly longer than Ryan has been in a professional environment. You did say Colina’s shadow runs faster than him, which whilst scientifically impossible does infer a certain tardiness on the part of Mate.

I think the tallest man alive is entitled to take that as you being critical or at least sceptical of his ability to run in a football context. I have heard the man himself say he is a good runner and can go a mile in under 5 minutes, which is probably around 6 minutes 10 -15 seconds for 2kms, which I think is pretty reasonable for an AFL player. But if you watched him in the VFL last season, in amongst understandably looking lost a lot of the time, he produced at least one eye-catching triple effort chase the like of which I have never seen from a tall player before, let alone a 7 footer. He runs alright Colina and is probably not a person you expect Samson Ryan to beat in a 2km time trial.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Last in both shuttles.
Someone has to come last. And it's not like he was beaten by Colina. :p How far last was he, oh mighty @caesar ?

Brown is a good athlete. Did someone say he's put on size? That would affect his running. Or maybe he's lazy. We'll find out. The main thing for him is to get stronger in the contest and if he has to put on size and temporarily lose some run to build confidence in his body to withstand the hits, that's okay with me. But I'm just speculating.

Reactions: 3 users