Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I were reluctant to post anything on Thursday's training, (as only 16 participating fully), so would prefer to wait until senior players rejoin but a couple of things:

Found out that Sonz DID NOT need or have any clean-up surgery, only reason he is only running the first week back is he cut his foot awhile back. I would not be surprised if he is back with main group as early as next week?
Banks doing a bit of running but not much else but have no news on that.

The first lot of Shuttle Runs were won and lost.
Ok so of the 16 they were broken into to groups key position & mids although JNR was placed with the talls and Gibcus the smalls so obviously determined by their running ability so they wouldn't be embarrassed.

From memory Talls, (who were required to do 1 less shuttle in each set), in this group were Colina, Nank, Bauer, Biggie, Ryan, Junior. Colina won the first set of 6 and Bauer came last. They then did more training and did more shuttles at the end with results slightly different. In the second lot Samson came last.

The smalls were Tarranto, Hopper, Gibcus, Mansell, Hugo, Clarke, Brown, Shorty, Ross, Dow, Cumberland.
The first set of shuttles was won by Tarranto followed by Ross , last Brown & Hopper.
All i can remember from second set was Gibcus won and Brown came last.

**Looks to me that Jack Ross is a bit leaner and running on the top of the ground, (maybe looking at improved outside run which i thought was pretty good last year?)

So as you can see i have basically reported very little of relevance but my question to you all is something better than nothing? or nothing better than something? until the whole squad is back.

Caesar my friend, we are like seagulls, squawking and scrapping over every little morsel, every little crumb of info you feed us like our scrawny lives depends on it.

And you know what, our lives do depend on it so please please, anything anytime.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
You did for some reason pick Colina out especially as someone Ryan should be beating in the 2km run. You did totally imagine that you somehow need stronger legs to run on turf than you do to run on a basketball court as if someone who trains principally on an athletics track has no chance against a person who trains on a footy ground in the Stawell Gift for example. You did point out Ryan is in his third pre-season whereas Colina is in his first, totally ignoring the fact Colina was more or less a full time athlete for the last few years, certainly longer than Ryan has been in a professional environment. You did say Colina’s shadow runs faster than him, which whilst scientifically impossible does infer a certain tardiness on the part of Mate.

I think the tallest man alive is entitled to take that as you being critical or at least sceptical of his ability to run in a football context. I have heard the man himself say he is a good runner and can go a mile in under 5 minutes, which is probably around 6 minutes 10 -15 seconds for 2kms, which I think is pretty reasonable for an AFL player. But if you watched him in the VFL last season, in amongst understandably looking lost a lot of the time, he produced at least one eye-catching triple effort chase the like of which I have never seen from a tall player before, let alone a 7 footer. He runs alright Colina and is probably not a person you expect Samson Ryan to beat in a 2km time trial.
I agree I was being sceptical of Colina’s running ability without any historical knowledge. As most would agree, he certainly showed no signs of it in his first year of VFL
I was certainly not even remotely “scathing”.
On face value I think it’s very reasonable to expect Ryan to beat a man of Colina’s size in a 2klm time trial.
As far as Colina being more or less a full time athlete, you obviously don’t know the difference being a College basketball player and a full time footballer at an AFL club so I won’t bother arguing the point there other than to say that Ryan has been in our system for 3 yrs now and came a distant last in the 2klm run which is very disappointing.
Perhaps Colina is naturally fit athlete and an exceptional runner which will bode well for his development.
Sampson also came last in a shuttle run on Thursday. I hope he’s giving it every thing he’s got.

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
I agree I was being sceptical of Colina’s running ability without any historical knowledge. As most would agree, he certainly showed no signs of it in his first year of VFL
I was certainly not even remotely “scathing”.
On face value I think it’s very reasonable to expect Ryan to beat a man of Colina’s size in a 2klm time trial.
As far as Colina being more or less a full time athlete, you obviously don’t know the difference being a College basketball player and a full time footballer at an AFL club so I won’t bother arguing the point there other than to say that Ryan has been in our system for 3 yrs now and came a distant last in the 2klm run which is very disappointing.
Perhaps Colina is naturally fit athlete and an exceptional runner which will bode well for his development.
Sampson also came last in a shuttle run on Thursday. I hope he’s giving it every thing he’s got.

"On face value I think it’s very reasonable to expect Ryan to beat a man of Colina’s size in a 2klm time trial.”

That only works if you wrongly assume that due to Colina being the tallest man alive he is therefore also not a good runner. And I gave an example in my previous post of where he did show that in his first year of VFL. There were other glimpses. You just had to watch carefully to see it.

I think you will see a lot more evidence of Colina’s ability to run in 2023 when he has had the benefit of a football specific preparation. I am expecting to see him improve from being probably the worst player in the VFL to being at least an average level VFL player in 2023. Beyond that I am intrigued to see what he can do but my early impressions are he won’t be able to do some of the things you might normally expect from a 7 footer, but he will be able to do some things you would not normally expect from a 7 footer. Whether his skill set has an application at AFL level will be interesting to see.

Reactions: 1 users

The Don

Is Good
Dec 21, 2007
Sydney
I were reluctant to post anything on Thursday's training, (as only 16 participating fully), so would prefer to wait until senior players rejoin but a couple of things:

Found out that Sonz DID NOT need or have any clean-up surgery, only reason he is only running the first week back is he cut his foot awhile back. I would not be surprised if he is back with main group as early as next week?
Banks doing a bit of running but not much else but have no news on that.

The first lot of Shuttle Runs were won and lost.
Ok so of the 16 they were broken into to groups key position & mids although JNR was placed with the talls and Gibcus the smalls so obviously determined by their running ability so they wouldn't be embarrassed.

From memory Talls, (who were required to do 1 less shuttle in each set), in this group were Colina, Nank, Bauer, Biggie, Ryan, Junior. Colina won the first set of 6 and Bauer came last. They then did more training and did more shuttles at the end with results slightly different. In the second lot Samson came last.

The smalls were Tarranto, Hopper, Gibcus, Mansell, Hugo, Clarke, Brown, Shorty, Ross, Dow, Cumberland.
The first set of shuttles was won by Tarranto followed by Ross , last Brown & Hopper.
All i can remember from second set was Gibcus won and Brown came last.

**Looks to me that Jack Ross is a bit leaner and running on the top of the ground, (maybe looking at improved outside run which i thought was pretty good last year?)

So as you can see i have basically reported very little of relevance but my question to you all is something better than nothing? or nothing better than something? until the whole squad is back.
It is fantastic to read your reports, Caesar. Even when you may think you have little to report, it makes my day!

Reactions: 8 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Caesar’s reports are always one of the things I look for here, and he always delivers. It is much appreciated.

Reactions: 9 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst there is a very high chance Colina does not make the AFL grade to any significant level we must realise he is a catB Rookie and a 100-1 shot but if he does then we will have a player that will be extremely difficult to match up and Sandilands is there perfect example

But we must also be patient and accept to see very little from him for 2-3 years and consider him a project at best similar to when the irish players first came into VFL/AFL

For players like Colina/Ryan not to be fantastic runners in the 2klm trials really means nothing as they are not expected to be fast runners
we are talking about giants with Colina 213cm & Ryan 207cm but more their ability to run out games for 80 minutes

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
It's scientifically possible that the shadow could have beaten him in every second shuttle run – when the sun was behind him.
Correct.
It can also occur if you stand in the one spot for long enough and your shadow moves past you as the sun sets.
I saw this happen to Mate v Williamstown

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Caesar my friend, we are like seagulls, squawking and scrapping over every little morsel, every little crumb of info you feed us like our scrawny lives depends on it.

And you know what, our lives do depend on it so please please, anything anytime.

X 1000.

Not only that but @caesar has proven time and time again to be as astute a judge of training form as anyone in the game. There are plenty of forward scouts working at AFL level who aren't as capable.

Reactions: 6 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
X 1000.

Not only that but @caesar has proven time and time again to be as astute a judge of training form as anyone in the game. There are plenty of forward scouts working at AFL level who aren't as capable.

Now that is way over the top and an exaggeration my abilities Big R but I will plug away through the summer months;)

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Now that is way over the top and an exaggeration my abilities Big R but I will plug away through the summer months;)
If only you were as competent with horse track work.
We could all make a quid out of it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Someone has to come last. And it's not like he was beaten by Colina. :p How far last was he, oh mighty @caesar ?

Brown is a good athlete. Did someone say he's put on size? That would affect his running. Or maybe he's lazy. We'll find out. The main thing for him is to get stronger in the contest and if he has to put on size and temporarily lose some run to build confidence in his body to withstand the hits, that's okay with me. But I'm just speculating.
Looks like Brown has put on size.
However if it was Sydney Stack, everyone ( especially a particular poster ) would be saying it was from eating kebabs.
What’s the junk food of choice in Geelong?

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Looks like Brown has put on size.
However if it was Sydney Stack, everyone ( especially a particular poster ) would be saying it was from eating kebabs.
What’s the junk food of choice in Geelong?
Have a look on Tik Tok you might find the information your looking for

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
X 1000.

And nobody can hide up a tree or in a wheelie bin like our man! :cool:

• Haha

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
You certainly like your TikTok.
Thought you’d be more of a Facebook man
No im not into tik tok , But i know you still keep tabs on SS thats why i mentioned that

It is very interesting reading your posts about Ryan though , Its a shame your not giving the kid a chance

Reactions: 1 user