Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Live on the spot:
Two additions to 1-4 group training today and handy they are:
Balta & Dusty:love:

• Love
Reactions: 32 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Why the hell would we want him?
Just spent a fortune to get 2 mids from GWS.
So, why would we want another so called midfielder?
How old is he btw?
If getting Narkle as a rookie makes Bolton sign a 7 year deal
Im giving him that chance

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Live on the spot:
Two additions to 1-4 group training today and handy they are:
Balta & Dusty:love:
So in summary:
Balta looked sharp in 25 minute warm up circle work, was gassed after the shuttles, ran 3 laps and that was it.
Dusty on the other hand completed 80% of session :love: Dusty did keep Brown company in coming a long way back in the shuttles ;)
Sonz and Banks still not in full skills work although Sonz stays out for the duration and is doing a fair bit more than Banks.
Hugo looking excellent, dare I say sublime in his execution today, I did pick him my boom last pre-season which was not quite the case but still, due to a purple patch, got a rising star nom so maybe this year he goes bang, (to prove i know nothing I also picked RCD to go bang but that was just a balloon popping).
Steve Morris runs beside Samson Ryan and gets in his ear for the big boy shuttles as he is always last in those.
Haven't been that impressed with Bauer's early form spraying a few passes, average in the running drills.
MJ absent. (**Updated, just heard on chl 10 news that all indigenous players converged on Geelong today so that is where MJ would have been).
Session over but Morris took Brown for a full ground sprint together so obviously know he needs to work on endurance.
Brown, Gibcus, Bauer, Samson and Clarke stayed out 15 minutes longer than others doing a bit of extra work.
That's it folks and no report coming from full squad training on Monday as I have committed to a charity golf day:(

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 39 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
So in summary:
Balta looked sharp in 25 minute warm up circle work, was gassed after the shuttles, ran 3 laps and that was it.
Dusty on the other hand completed 80% of session :love: Dusty did keep Brown company in coming a long way back in the shuttles ;)
Sonz and Banks still not in full skills work although Sonz stays out for the duration and is doing a fair bit more than Banks.
Hugo looking excellent, dare I say sublime in his execution today, I did pick him my boom last pre-season which was not quite the case but still, due to a purple patch, got a rising star nom so maybe this year he goes bang, (to prove know nothing I also picked RCD to go bang but that was just a balloon popping).
Steve Morris runs beside Samson Ryan and gets in his ear for the big boy shuttles as he is always last in those.
Haven't been that impressed with Bauer's early form spraying a few passes, average in the running drills.
MJ absent.
Session over but Morris took Brown for a full ground sprint together so obviously know he needs to work on endurance.
Brown, Gibcus, Bauer, Samson and Clarke stayed and 15 minutes longer than others doing a better of extra work.
That's it folks and no report coming from full squad training on Monday as I have committed to a charity golf day:(
you selfish bastard

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You do golf day appearances too? I didnt realise you were famous outside of PRE.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
So in summary:
Hugo looking excellent, dare I say sublime in his execution today, I did pick him my boom last pre-season which was not quite the case but still, due to a purple patch, got a rising star nom so maybe this year he goes bang, (to prove i know nothing I also picked RCD to go bang but that was just a balloon popping).
MJ absent.
Brown, Gibcus, Bauer, Samson and Clarke stayed out 15 minutes longer than others doing a bit of extra work.

Thanks caesar

Gotta say, your early reports have me worried with Samson and Bauer. Need one of them to step up as a key forward over the next year and seems both have been less than impressive so far

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks caesar

Gotta say, your early reports have me worried with Samson and Bauer. Need one of them to step up as a key forward over the next year and seems both have been less than impressive so far
Samson still looks great in circle work and his skills are impressive but we do want him to have some sort of endurance to be a true around the ground ruckman option otherwise it will be more forward ruck relief will be his go.
Bauer still looked alright on the lead which will be his bread and butter it is just he was spraying some field& goal kicking and I just thought he'd be beating some of the lesser runners in the shuttles.
**Note: most of the stuff I witness early doesn't really mean too much until the whole squad get back and you see them operating in more game style training so wouldn't worry too much.
As mentioned though Steve Morris ran beside both Samson & Brown at various stages today offering them encouragement or giving them a rev.

Reactions: 6 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Samson still looks great in circle work and his skills are impressive but we do want him to have some sort of endurance to be a true around the ground ruckman option otherwise it will be more forward ruck relief will be his go.
Bauer still looked alright on the lead which will be his bread and butter it is just he was spraying some field& goal kicking and I just thought he'd be beating some of the lesser runners in the shuttles.
**Note: most of the stuff I witness early doesn't really mean too much until the whole squad get back and you see them operating in more game style training so wouldn't worry too much.
As mentioned though Steve Morris ran beside both Samson & Brown at various stages today offering them encouragement or giving them a rev.
I’d reasonably expect Bauer to be in last quartile being key forward prospect as opposed to midfielder ,,,,keen to hear of his contested marking ability and goal kicking , has some great tools to work with , rest is up to him

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Is Narkle going to improve the RFC? Can the RFC improve him?

Where is his best position anyway, I dont even know if the Cats had any idea.

If he didn't work hard enough to get incumbency at the Cats he's likely pushing *smile* uphill a serious gradient to make it to the level expected at the RFC.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I’d reasonably expect Bauer to be in last quartile being key forward prospect as opposed to midfielder ,,,,keen to hear of his contested marking ability and goal kicking , has some great tools to work with , rest is up to him
Bauer wasn't running with the midfielders he was running with the ruckmen and a few other keys.
As you say showed a little bit in the VFL and that is after only being a mid year pick up so he is only 2 weeks into his first ever AFL pre-season so allowances should be made. Any version of Bauer is going to be better than this year you would think with a regimented pre-season under his belt.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Interesting player is Bauer. By modern standards he’s undersized for a key forward. This alone makes his AFL journey very tough as he’ll have to battle defenders that have 10cm and 10kg on him at AFL level. However, watching him in the VFL you quickly see that he reads the ball in flight quicker than most and attacks the ball in the air like few others. Both of these a far better attributes to possess for any budding key forward than the ability to win pre-season time trials.

More than anything this pre-season Bauer needs to get stronger and work on his explosiveness to compete better in the air and get separation on the lead. By all accounts, this is exactly what he’s been doing in the off-season.

• Love

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
So in summary:
MJ absent. (**Updated, just heard on chl 10 news that all indigenous players converged on Geelong today so that is where MJ would have been).
Balta gassed after the shuttles? Ok. That’s a bit soft for mine. But it’s early.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm particularly pleased to hear Balta is back early.
Despite obvious raw gifts, it's a big season for him.
There are other options in defence.
Nothing is taken for granted especially after a poor final.

Reactions: 1 user

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Interesting player is Bauer. By modern standards he’s undersized for a key forward. This alone makes his AFL journey very tough as he’ll have to battle defenders that have 10cm and 10kg on him at AFL level. However, watching him in the VFL you quickly see that he reads the ball in flight quicker than most and attacks the ball in the air like few others. Both of these a far better attributes to possess for any budding key forward than the ability to win pre-season time trials.

More than anything this pre-season Bauer needs to get stronger and work on his explosiveness to compete better in the air and get separation on the lead. By all accounts, this is exactly what he’s been doing in the off-season.
Very true! He still averaged just under 2 goals a game (16.12 from 9 games, so had on average 3 shots at goal per game) as well as 5 marks per game, which is pretty good for a guy who was just plonked into the team a week after he was drafted. If that’s what he gave us in 2022, coming into the squad with no training of game plans or connections with players, I feel like 2023 could be very fruitful for him. I’ve seen people say they’re disappointed we didn’t draft Jacob Van Rooyen last year, as am I, but stats wise Bauer matched him in the VFL in 2023. And JVR was in the best side in the league by a country mile.

fightingfury88

Tiger Cub
Nov 22, 2011
Bendigo
Via Daniel Cherny:
"Kaelan Bradtke, an athletic 195cm goalkicker from Corowa-Rutherglen, will train with the Tigers in coming weeks in a bid to gain a permanent spot at Punt Road via the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP)..."

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I were reluctant to post anything on Thursday's training, (as only 16 participating fully), so would prefer to wait until senior players rejoin but a couple of things:

Found out that Sonz DID NOT need or have any clean-up surgery, only reason he is only running the first week back is he cut his foot awhile back. I would not be surprised if he is back with main group as early as next week?
Banks doing a bit of running but not much else but have no news on that.
So the cut foot explains why Sonz was on crutches a while back!

Reactions: 1 users