Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
All I have said on Dion is I have him in on watch, he did all the drills prior to match sim and looked great, kicked a goal from boundary 55 metres out.
Dominant in first 10 minutes of match play along with Taranto and Hopper and then I noticed he was no longer on the field or in the dug out watching.

I DID NOT, say he was injured, saw no incident, nor did I see him leave the field, but I was a bit surprised of his limited match play involvement and then total disappearance from proceedings. Given Dion's history he just goes on my watch list that he is ok.
Hopefully just a load management thing with him. It's well known what he can do so it gave someone else a go in that role inside. Last thing we needed was him to play the full sim & get injuried in last min or 2 with camp next week etc. The good thing is u didn't notice him chatting to the medico's etc.

Reactions: 2 users

Skipper9

Tiger Cub
Dec 21, 2022
Few questions I’d like to throw out there:

- How do we best utilise Bakes & Shorty? I’m hesitant to muck them around again by playing them in one position one week and other the next week. Both too young and important to our future to stagnate their development.

- cotch forward is interesting. Was wondering what the plan with him would be. Never been great in front of the sticks but maybe his ferocious attack on the ball/ pressure is what he’ll be called upon for? An out and out champion who you find a spot for every time he is fit to take the field.

- it’s looking like our preferred starting midfield is Prestia-Taranto-Hopper. Do we need a point of difference in there with them? Whether that be Shai or Shorty? Worried they are all similar types.. good issue to have, I know

Reactions: 6 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Can't understand why they got a day off they just got back to training and our starts to seasons has been shitt.

No

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004

- How do we best utilise Bakes & Shorty? I’m hesitant to muck them around again by playing them in one position one week and other the next week. Both too young and important to our future to stagnate their development.

- cotch forward is interesting. Was wondering what the plan with him would be. Never been great in front of the sticks but maybe his ferocious attack on the ball/ pressure is what he’ll be called upon for? An out and out champion who you find a spot for every time he is fit to take the field.

- it’s looking like our preferred starting midfield is Prestia-Taranto-Hopper. Do we need a point of difference in there with them? Whether that be Shai or Shorty? Worried they are all similar types.. good issue to have, I know
If it is the intention to play Cotch up forward where does that leave No. 11 Castagna?

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks for the report as always @caesar hard to overstate how much connection to the club you bring us.

Interested in if Balta is playing back and how you've seen him travelling please?
Thanks for your kind words @The Big Richo .
I would say Noah has returned to the club in the best shape he has been in and has been settled down back, no stints forward and absolutely no ruck duties, relief ruck duties coming from Miller who is fwd
Has been performing well so maybe remiss of me for not mentioning him in dispatches a bit more.
Cheers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane

Good issues to raise, I'll have a crack.

Bakes and Shorty are interchangeable off the back line for mine. It's where they've done their best work - by far. But it depends on form and opposition. Bakes is better at locking down an opponent and Short is better going forward delivering into the forward line (when in form). But when I write down my best 23 - I usually leave Shorty out for Bakes.

Cotch is a mid - not a forward for mine. He either works in bursts at the coal face or is on the bench. Or managed. We have way better options up forward than him and I wouldn't keep them out of the action just to rest Cotch up forward.

I think there's enough variation in that trio to work. Sure, they can all win the ball, distribute the ball, run with the ball - but they all do it a little differently to one another. If the greatest of our problems is lining up those three together at centre bounces - then premiership No. 4 in 7 years here we come.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Good start in an intraclub I'm pretty surprised at the Cotch forward experiment mainly because his set shot goal kicking in the past has been suspect.
That said if he doesn't have to work as hard inside his skills may benefit. Be interesting to see if this experiment continues.

Reactions: 3 users