Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Good start in an intraclub I'm pretty surprised at the Cotch forward experiment mainly because his set shot goal kicking in the past has been suspect.
That said if he doesn't have to work as hard inside his skills may benefit. Be interesting to see if this experiment continues.
He’s looking the goods so far in the match sims ToO.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
He’s looking the goods so far in the match sims ToO.
In the drills and for at least part of the match sim they seem to have a specific role for Cotch. It's very much within 35 meters of goal and a crumbing role. Almost like an old style forward pocket. There is a definite game plan tweak that they are trialling/working on.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Thanks for your kind words @The Big Richo .
I would say Noah has returned to the club in the best shape he has been in and has been settled down back, no stints forward and absolutely no ruck duties, relief ruck duties coming from Miller who is fwd
Has been performing well so maybe remiss of me for not mentioning him in dispatches a bit more.
Cheers

Love that, even though I see Balta as a forward at some point, for the right now if he can play well as a key back he might just be the most important player for our chances.

Reactions: 3 users

Rambo Rabbit

Tiger Cub
Mar 27, 2014
Good start in an intraclub I'm pretty surprised at the Cotch forward experiment mainly because his set shot goal kicking in the past has been suspect.
That said if he doesn't have to work as hard inside his skills may benefit. Be interesting to see if this experiment continues.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Few questions I’d like to throw out there:

- How do we best utilise Bakes & Shorty? I’m hesitant to muck them around again by playing them in one position one week and other the next week. Both too young and important to our future to stagnate their development.

- cotch forward is interesting. Was wondering what the plan with him would be. Never been great in front of the sticks but maybe his ferocious attack on the ball/ pressure is what he’ll be called upon for? An out and out champion who you find a spot for every time he is fit to take the field.

- it’s looking like our preferred starting midfield is Prestia-Taranto-Hopper. Do we need a point of difference in there with them? Whether that be Shai or Shorty? Worried they are all similar types.. good issue to have, I know
Yes def will be rotations

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
A key issue last year was the absence of Houli and Astbury.
Had more impact than envisaged, we were leaking goals in bursts, early in the year.
Took time for defence to regroup.
Balta and Baker had to return to defence, as I wrote.
With the absence of Gibcus, Balta's mobile defence role is more important than ever.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Good issues to raise, I'll have a crack.

Bakes and Shorty are interchangeable off the back line for mine. It's where they've done their best work - by far. But it depends on form and opposition. Bakes is better at locking down an opponent and Short is better going forward delivering into the forward line (when in form). But when I write down my best 23 - I usually leave Shorty out for Bakes.

Cotch is a mid - not a forward for mine. He either works in bursts at the coal face or is on the bench. Or managed. We have way better options up forward than him and I wouldn't keep them out of the action just to rest Cotch up forward.

I think there's enough variation in that trio to work. Sure, they can all win the ball, distribute the ball, run with the ball - but they all do it a little differently to one another. If the greatest of our problems is lining up those three together at centre bounces - then premiership No. 4 in 7 years here we come.
On the last point, i'll add they are all decent defensively.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
At a guess i'd say Cotch will rotate through the middle but won't be starting mid. Training fwd just adds another string to his bow.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Had more impact than envisaged, we were leaking goals in bursts, early in the year.
With the absence of Gibcus, Balta's mobile defence role is more important than ever.
Last year we trialled a possession game and gave up on it 8 weeks in. By that time we’d lost momentum. We went back to the chaos system and if not for an injured Martin/Lynch, we would have ended up 4th or better.
I also don’t really believe our defence was leaking. It was being bombared by this new stand rule. Defenders cant put pressure on the half forwards/mids who were able to pin point passes deep in the forward line. This was happening because we were losing centre clearances. Hence the targeted recruitments of inside mids. The ball won’t be coming out so quickly and cleanly. Watch our defenders perform better.

• Wow
Reactions: 18 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Disagree with Houli's absense being a key issue last year, Rioli was a better defender than Houli so how were we leaking more goals through Rioli?

You do have a point with Atsbury as he was replaced with Gibcus who's inexperience allowed more goals through every game.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Whilst Miller gets the nod as that 2nd ruck early in the season I can see Samson taking that spot as the season goes on.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Saturday 8am 60 minute Recovery Session :

In a session where several players did not participate and those that did were instructed to do drills in no more than a jog there was nothing much to report except a follow up on my Prestia watch : Prestia was in re-hab mainly walking and slow jogs and in regular discussion with the fitness guys so i can only glean from that that he has tweaked something or something isn't quite right?

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Last year we trialled a possession game and gave up on it 8 weeks in. By that time we’d lost momentum. We went back to the chaos system and if not for an injured Martin/Lynch, we would have ended up 4th or better.
I also don’t really believe our defence was leaking. It was being bombared by this new stand rule. Defenders cant put pressure on the half forwards/mids who were able to pin point passes deep in the forward line. This was happening because we were losing centre clearances. Hence the targeted recruitments of inside mids. The ball won’t be coming out so quickly and cleanly. Watch our defenders perform better.
I really hope the ball comes out quickly and cleanly. With us doing the quick clean clearances into our forward line. Be great to see our defenders being paid to do stuff all.

Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I really hope the ball comes out quickly and cleanly. With us doing the quick clean clearances into our forward line. Be great to see our defenders being paid to do stuff all.

I reckon the ball will come out quickly but don't think it necessarily has to be cleanly, chaos ball still works in our forward line with the likes of Shai, JNR, Dusty, Cumberland lurking, it is why in nearly all our training drills except dedicated led up drills or marking drills forwards are instructed to tap or punch the ball to crumbers as ground level is where most footy is played.
Around the ground stoppages was where we were really poor last year, (correct me if i'm wrong i think we were ranked 17th), that should also be rectified with the addition of Taranto & Hopper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Love that, even though I see Balta as a forward at some point, for the right now if he can play well as a key back he might just be the most important player for our chances.
Last season particularly late, I felt that Noah was having trouble seeing the ball from a distance.
It was as if a 50 meter pass was only sighted in the last 15. Seemingly as a consequence he was caught out of position when going …. and he didn’t improve as the season went on.

I have seen him in civvy street in glasses.
Was there an issue, or was I seeing things?

Reactions: 1 users