Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
So we have read the puff pieces, (nothing wrong with Puff! :))), that Pickett and Shai training their asses off in WA and Cumberland in the Goldie but all to be revealed soon.
Looking at last year the Tige's 1-4 year players returned to pre-season on the 7th November but I think new bargaining agreement have most clubs starting November 21?.
Can someone who is a subscriber to the Herald Sun access below article, (it apparently sets out the timetable for most clubs?), and advise if Richmond player return dates are listed.

***Edit: now my question has been answered I have deleted said header article as could not have a photo of Pendlebury lifted on shoulders heading this thread ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

RICHMOND​

Return dates

First to four-year players – November 21

Others – December 5

Who is fit?

Marlion Pickett, Noah Cumberland and Rhyan Mansell are three players who are particularly impressing with the training programs they are completing in their respective home states during their time off. The Tigers have said Pickett is “training his bum off” in Perth and is motivated to take another step forward with his game next year.

Who is starting on time?

The Tigers finished the season without any long-term injury concerns, meaning most of the playing list should be fit and healthy at the start of pre-season.

Who was in for surgery?

Ruckman Ivan Soldo underwent post-season wrist surgery but will still be able to get his conditioning in with no major delays expected in his preparation for next season.

New faces

Greater Western Sydney recruit Jacob Hopper visited Punt Rd for a day after he was secured during the trade period, meeting players including Dustin Martin and Tom Lynch. Fellow Giants recruit Tim Taranto had been spending time overseas in the United States but ventured into Punt Rd on Friday and met some new teammates in the gym.

Reactions: 14 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

RICHMOND​

Return dates

First to four-year players – November 21

Others – December 5

Who is fit?

Marlion Pickett, Noah Cumberland and Rhyan Mansell are three players who are particularly impressing with the training programs they are completing in their respective home states during their time off. The Tigers have said Pickett is “training his bum off” in Perth and is motivated to take another step forward with his game next year.

Who is starting on time?

The Tigers finished the season without any long-term injury concerns, meaning most of the playing list should be fit and healthy at the start of pre-season.

Who was in for surgery?

Ruckman Ivan Soldo underwent post-season wrist surgery but will still be able to get his conditioning in with no major delays expected in his preparation for next season.

New faces

Greater Western Sydney recruit Jacob Hopper visited Punt Rd for a day after he was secured during the trade period, meeting players including Dustin Martin and Tom Lynch. Fellow Giants recruit Tim Taranto had been spending time overseas in the United States but ventured into Punt Rd on Friday and met some new teammates in the gym.

Onya @Redford (y)

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
So what am I hoping to see in the lead-up 2023:

Judson Clarke : Has the speed and endurance and footskills so hitting the weights for strength and putting on some size the priority.
Listed as 180cm and 72kg, they see him in a Lambert type role who was 178cm and 77kg which is still pretty light but
shows you don't need to be huge to be a gun player. (oh and we just happen to have Lambert stay on as dedicated
Juddy development coach ;) )

Josh Gibcus : Has speed and endurance not 100% sold on his kicking yet but seems more than adequate so like above weights and size the go. Listed as 196cm and 87kg, end target in couple of years you'd think to play at about 94kg?
Coaches instructions should be to back in your marking ability and better directional spoiling.

Samson Ryan : Should have Olivia Newton John's 'Let's Get Physical' on loop. Size pretty good 206cm and 104kg, (but include a few more weights for strength). As an example Soldo who is a beast plays at 107kg. Endurance, endurance, endurance should also be his mantra in the off-season. Improve both those and he will be holding his ground and taking a lot more marks.

MJ : Pretty simple really run, run, run as fast and far as you can, (more endurance please). Coaches instruction, hunt the ball!.
Question: Is there no leg weights program or kicking mechanics change that can improve a players distance in kicking?, Junior struggles to kick 40 metres.

Cumberland : What i want is what i think we will get, (better endurance), already putting in the work, size, speed, grunt, all good.

Sam Banks : 187cm and 71kg, so add some size and become a bit more contested, fitness levels are good.

Tom Brown : A few more angry pills to increase intensity and a bit more contested, has all the skills.

Sonsie : Injury free run at pre-season, plenty of running that he missed out on getting under his belt last year.

Balta : Has habit of coming back under-done, last year looked to be the same but Noah said that he had lifted too many weights and came back heavy. Definitely needs to put in plenty of running, 194cm and 102kg is too heavy.

Dusty : Nothing more than to come back happy in himself and back in love with the game. Oh and I am sure he is a proud man
and wouldn't have wanted his career to end with a downer like last year so maybe he does still have something to prove.

All pretty obvious observations but I had nothing better to do than express my thoughts until the 21st of November comes around.

Feel free list your own what you'd like to see in pre-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Who was spotted in a moon boot recently? Was it Sonsie? He would be one watch this space for the 21st.

@caesar, limber up, your time in the spotlight is nearing!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Balta : Something feels off about his defensive positioning one-on-one but I'm not qualified so what do I know? Also, needs to eliminate the short kick to the opposition from his game. Either handball to Short or Rioli running past, or channel DTLD and hammer it 60m down the line.

Reactions: 7 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Looking at last year the Tige's 1-4 year players returned to pre-season on the 7th November but I think new bargaining agreement have most clubs starting November 21?.

In that case it would seem almost certain the week of preseason for Magic Round has been taken from the start, so the practice match schedule will likely remain as is.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Who was spotted in a moon boot recently? Was it Sonsie? He would be one watch this space for the 21st.

@caesar, limber up, your time in the spotlight is nearing!

Someone did post that they spotted Sonz in a moon boot which was an additional reason why I am hoping is injury free to start the pre-season and will be one of the first things i'll look for come the 21st.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Balta : Something feels off about his defensive positioning one-on-one but I'm not qualified so what do I know? Also, needs to eliminate the short kick to the opposition from his game. Either handball to Short or Rioli running past, or channel DTLD and hammer it 60m down the line.
Balta is pretty poor at reading the ball in flight and reading the play in general. Has been able to compensate for it in the past with often freakish athleticism (i.e. watch him get worked under the ball only to take the mark using his superior vertical leap). This is why he largely failed as a forward and yet does so well when he has stints in the ruck where he can compensate with his athleticism.

He needs to be played almost exclusively as a key defender going forward with occasional stints in the ruck.

Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Great job, Caesar you do mate much appreciated.
Agree Balta needs to get fit and trim down for me Truck big asset for him and Gibcus to.
Big preseason for Biggie for me needs to step up. I'm not sure if we know his position ?.
Dow needs to step up to we seen he can play had that block of 5 games and looked really good then after the injury struggled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Balta is pretty poor at reading the ball in flight and reading the play in general. Has been able to compensate for it in the past with often freakish athleticism (i.e. watch him get worked under the ball only to take the mark using his superior vertical leap). This is why he largely failed as a forward and yet does so well when he has stints in the ruck where he can compensate with his athleticism.

He needs to be played almost exclusively as a key defender going forward with occasional stints in the ruck.
Doesn't help that he's blind as a bat!

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Someone did post that they spotted Sonz in a moon boot which was an additional reason why I am hoping is injury free to start the pre-season and will be one of the first things i'll look for come the 21st.
Hi caesar I posted on 10th Oct that my son spotted Sonsie on crutches at a suburban oval. He didn't mention a moon boot. Perhaps someone else saw him in a boot? Perhaps he sprained an ankle? He should be well on the way to recovery.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I reckon Balta will come along massively this year with Rutten back,

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Hi caesar I posted on 10th Oct that my son spotted Sonsie on crutches at a suburban oval. He didn't mention a moon boot. Perhaps someone else saw him in a boot? Perhaps he sprained an ankle? He should be well on the way to recovery.
My bad, crutches it was. Maybe he had some sort of clean-up? he had a greatly delayed pre-season as well as an interrupted draft year with ankle and knee injuries so maybe he played through some discomfort?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Dimma was filthy at Balta after the Brisbane E.F.
Said in private that Balta cost us 7 goals by not following basic team rules

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I am intrigued with Miller next year. Finished the year really strong. I will be keen to see him go up another level.

Playing that 2nd ruck role, his next step is to hit the scoreboard more.

Reactions: 22 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I would certainly agree that Balta was not very good in 2022, not sure what the issue is but he really does look like he can't see a thing at times.

DS

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
That doesn't surprise me. We all love the athletic abilities of Balta and he has had some great moments but he is far from the finished product and most of us have been guilty of over rating him. Hopefully a lot more improvement and consistency is still to come and he reaches those elite levels.

Reactions: 6 users