Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Noah gives us the inside word….

Noah Cumberland lifts the lid on what’s happening on and off the track at Tigerland as the quest to prize the flag window back open begins. Sam Landsberger

What does a full day of November training look like for Richmond’s youngsters? On Thursday it started with a 90-minute training run at Punt Rd, beginning at about 10am.

“We had our main session with a bit of skills and conditioning,” boom youngster Noah Cumberland told the Herald Sun after they had clocked off at 3pm.

“After that we move into the club and have a bit of lunch and hit the showers and the ice baths. Then, after lunch, we move into a thing called fundamentals, which is a bit more craft and the basics – kicking and the technique side of things.

“We’ve got a new strengthening coach named Marcus (Krygger), which is always good to have a fresh face. He’s taking us through our strength program.”

Krygger has crossed from St Kilda to help tone the Tigers. So, who is pumping the biggest weights in the gym?

“Definitely not me, I did my AC joint so I’m sort of in rehab trying to get a little bit stronger,” Cumberland said.

“But you've got your likes of Jack Ross, who is always putting in the hard yards and getting everything out of it.

“Rhyan Mansell’s looking really good. All the young boys are stepping out and getting a lot stronger now and putting in a lot more work in the gym.”

THE TIME-TRIAL

Pre-season officially kicked off with a stopwatch on Monday. The 2km dash was a tough task.

“It was hard work, don’t get me wrong,” Cumberland, 21, said.

“It’s always hard and it’s always nerve-racking. I think a lot of the boys get more nervous for a time-trial than they do for their own game.

“I can second that as well, because I was absolutely s****ing myself. But we all ran well. Hugo Ralphsmith, Jack Ross and (Josh) Gibcus were all up there.”

Those four are arguably the early summer standouts, with fitness staff thrilled at the condition Cumberland, Gibcus, Ross and Ralphsmith returned in.

The word from the west is Marlion Pickett, who is training over in Perth on his break, is also in super nick.

Cumberland – in his third AFL pre-season – now knows this is the time to set up a super season.

“If you put in the hard yards early it makes everything a little bit easier,” he said.

“That’s what I’ve learnt, and that’s what I’ve done this year.

As for who won the time-trial? Ralphsmith, of course.

“He’s a natural athletic human being,” Cumberland said.

“He’s a really good runner, but he puts in the work as well.”

THE RECRUITS

Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper – each signed for the next seven seasons – have made a headstart to their Tiger contracts by joining the kids on the track.

It’s been welcomed.

“They've come down a few weeks early to show their faces and get around the young boys,” Cumberland said.

“You've got Taranto’s skills and his class and then you’ve got Hopper’s strength. They’re very competitive boys, which is something that we (base) our game on.

“They’ve got class. I’ve seen them train these last few days and there skills are another thing, but they’re even better blokes, so it’s good to have them on board.”

Ralphsmith described them as “two of the best blokes I've ever met”.

What about their tattoos?

“I see Taranto’s got a few bad stickers and I think Hopper wants to get a bit of ink, too, he was telling me, just to fit in,” Cumberland said.

They weren't the only ones to arrive early, with Toby Nankervis, Jayden Short, Ross and Robbie Tarant (who jogged laps) all spotted at Punt Rd.

The Tigers have played 13 finals in the past six seasons, and so it’s no surprise plenty of the decorated champions are still enjoying their time off.

And for anyone considering writing the Tigers off, it’s worth remembering they led in the last quarter of 21 of 23 games in 2022 before landing these GWS guns.

And the two games they didn’t, against Adelaide and Melbourne, they led halfway through the third term instead.

NEW VOICE

David Teague appeared to run Thursday‘s main training session and alongside him was Ben Rutten.

‘Truck’ is back at the Tigers, next to the ‘Teague train’ with both coaches landing at Richmond after their brutal sackings.

Rutten spent 2015-2018 at Punt Rd before crossing to Essendon and so while the kids on the track are fresh faces, there will be plenty of familiarity next season.

“I’ve had a few chats with him and he’s keen to get started. He’s going to take the backline this year and put in the work there and teach us things he knows, which will be handy,” Cumberland said.

“He’s got a lot to give.”

FAMILIAR VOICE

Kane Lambert, the heart-and-soul Tiger who retired this year, is back as a development coach and was also on the track on Thursday.

The players are thrilled that Lambert has stayed. He is so easy to speak to.

“He’s an absolute ripper of a bloke, on and off the field,” Cumberland said.

“So it’s always good to have a bloke that’s really well connected around the club come through and teach us the ins and outs that he knows.

“I always have great confidence going to him to ask questions.”

MAN MOUNTAIN

Triple-premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis stands 199cm and weighs 102kg. Standing next to teammate Mate Colina at a tackling drill he looked small.

Colina, 23, is the AFL‘s tallest player. This bloke is listed at 213cm and 111kg, and lumbering around he made 2020 best-and-fairest winner Jayden Short look like an Auskicker.

That’s no slight on Short, who is, well, Short. That’s just what it’s like looking at Colina.

“I actually was walking in the hallway and ran into him. I literally had to lift my head up to say, ‘Geez, sorry mate’, Cumberland said.

“He’s a monster of a human, and a good bloke. He was in the gym today with us lifting the big weights.”

The Croatian is Noah Balta’s cousin and was playing college basketball in Hawaii before landing at Punt Rd.

Colina played seven VFL games last year and averaged fewer than five disposals. His kicking action needs refining, but there is a big ball of muscle for the Tigers to work with.

And if he breaks through for an AFL debut he will become the tallest player in AFL history, going – and growing – past 211cm rucks Mason Cox (Collingwood), Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle), Ned Reeves (Hawthorn) and Peter Street (Geelong and Western Bulldogs).

So from the above article:

Noah's word and fitness staff:

“But you've got your likes of Jack Ross, who is always putting in the hard yards and getting everything out of it.

Hugo Ralphsmith, Jack Ross and (Josh) Gibcus were all up there.”

Those four are arguably the early summer standouts, with fitness staff thrilled at the condition Cumberland, Gibcus, Ross and Ralphsmith returned in.

Caesar's word from Monday's day 1 of training, 4 days before above article:

Most impressive of session was Gibcus, Ross also good.

And Thrursday's training comment:
**Looks to me that Jack Ross is a bit leaner and running on the top of the ground, (maybe looking at improved outside run which i thought was pretty good last year?)

**Take out from above is that Jack Ross is the best off-season preparer hands down the last 2 seasons, last year he put in heaps of work and muscled up & tried to work on explosive power, it appears this year trimmed down and looks exceptional in his running, (in the 2km time trial Ross finished on Hugo's shoulder, which is no mean feat).
I will never have a bad word to say about Ross regardless of form as he puts in the work :clap2

• Love
Reactions: 28 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

**Looks to me that Jack Ross is a bit leaner and running on the top of the ground, (maybe looking at improved outside run which i thought was pretty good last year?)

**Take out from above is that Jack Ross is the best off-season preparer hands down the last 2 seasons, last year he put in heaps of work and muscled up & tried to work on explosive power, it appears this year trimmed down and looks exceptional in his running, (in the 2km time trial Ross finished on Hugo's shoulder, which is no mean feat).
I will never have a bad word to say about Ross regardless of form as he puts in the work :clap2
Are you mounting a case that Noah is a plagiarist? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I’ve learnt player assassination from the best although I’ve yet to master relentlessness
No you have just over investment into the wrong horse and just kept doubling down
know when to hold them & know when to fold them

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Any danger u blokes can take the spat to PM so the rest of us can read about training stuff?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
As soon as I see this thread pop up my mood lifts :cool:

2023 will be big!

Reactions: 3 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
It always frustrates me when @ceaser doesn't do a report on the days the boys are off...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).

Ross is probably aware he’s not playing on ball much this year, apart from rotations.
On the other hand, Bolton will be on ball at times and he isn’t heavy

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
On the other hand, Bolton will be on ball at times and he isn’t heavy
Shai can levitate and move laterally at the same time. :))

No one else can do that.

Shai is in his own category no one can do what he does, much akin to Shane Edwards yet different at the same time,

Edwards was supreme speed of wit, vision and slick, and didn't buy time he just reacted within it, Shai is a mesmerizing player in his movements and with his stepping and shimmying and lateral movement he simply buys time where others can not.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Narkle to train with us in the hope of being picked up as a SSP.
Why the hell would we want him?
Just spent a fortune to get 2 mids from GWS.
So, why would we want another so called midfielder?
How old is he btw?

Reactions: 1 users