Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Not really seeing anything from Naishy at this point to say it is going to be the breakout year he needs .

Naish is occupying 1 of the 3 mandatory ejection seats right now IMO.

Houli retiring might save someone but I reckon Naish is in some Barney right now for the axe at seasons end.

He's going to really need to show more this year.

Out of the GF 22 other competitors in Caddy, Stack, Ross, Aarts, Martyn, Dow, RCD are all ahead of him.

TBH he's probably lucky we opted out of this draft or he'd probably be another spot or two back with new talent coming in.

Spots will need to be made for the Tigers obvious off seaon plans next trade draft.

I havent seen much of him to really make me think he's going to make the inroads required, but he's still got the chance to do so.

Reactions: 3 users

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
The only place to come to read a training report of any sort (and a good one) . Surprise the mob at Bigfooty haven't cut and paste yet. Thanks Caesar.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
How’s Aarts looking...? Reckon he could be the big mover this year.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Forgive me PRE for I have sinned, it has been 11 days and three training sessions since my last report. I were waiting for the return of the prodigal son, (JNR), and his cuz to return but alas they were given more time to support their family up North.

Just on Daniel and JNR, they have basically had 20 days away from the club so will be interesting to see what shape they come back in, no doubt they have trained together up there but would be hard to replicate the intensity and volume of training at club.

So as players go into their break:

2 Important cogs, Dion Prestia, Nank looking in great nick at this time of year.

Best Track performers, (established players), in order:
Bakes
Dusty
Kmac
Prestia
Shai
Shorty
Marlion
Balta

Best Track performers, (1 to 4 year players), in order:
Ross
RCD
Dow
Martyn/Hugo

Emerging Big Men???:
CJ:
Fitness levels behind this time last year IMO but seems to have integrated back into the group well after his indiscretion.
Biggie: Pardon the pun but has got bigger, athletically great if not aerobically so, needs to improve one on ones but certainly keen to keep an eye on his development
Miller: Seems to have progressed somewhat, (and needed to), I need to see scratch matches to make a better judgement.
Samson Ryan: So we have a baby Giraffe in our midst, (and 3 year project player for mine). Impressed with his skills for a big man and one grab marking and tap work. Endurance *smile* and together with strength/putting on size are the things he will be working on.

Rehab:

Soldo: Just started running straight lines.
Cumberland: Full paced straight line & lap running and just easing into some change of direction drills.
Bachar: Was a bad calf tear in GF, (amazing he was able to stay on field and aid in rotations), being very cautious in easing back into things.
Garthwaite: Forever in rehab the last couple of seasons not sure what issue keeps hampering him.
Mabs: Doing more laps than drills, doesn't look too much wrong with him though.

The last session going to the break Shedda seemed to have a lower back issue?, popped some pills and left the track 10 minutes in.

Kane Lambert: Going at about 80% but good progress after his hip op.

The Trialists:
Green:
I have a feeling we might take Green mainly because coaches seem to be giving him a bit more attention than others. From my observations whilst 192cm is a good size if a midfielder not so much if a key position player. Does not seem to have natural midfield craft and is not overly quick but I still think he may be the front runner.
Egg: Has the best skills of the lot but I am happy to move on as I still don't see the required intensity .
Rhyan Mansell: Shows a bit of dash, neat skills a tougher edge than Egg, don't mind him.
Nick Couroupis: Have not seen anything yet that excites me.

**NOTE: All above observations have been made without seeing competitive game sim or scratch matches so not ideal, expect the boys to crank it up when they come back from break.
All's forgiven after a report like that ;)
Great to hear about Balta after you reporting differently last yr, seems the penny dropped after the initial pre season spray he no doubt copped.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I reckon we are only going at about a 7, I see vision at other clubs having full on game sim. One could be worried except we have proved we are experts at timing, (not necessarily for round 1, we are just lucky we get Carlton each year;)), to get our players through a season.
Also we finished the season later than most and started our pre-season a week after everyone else.
Are we usually focusing more on having players on the park as opposed to breaking them as part of "timing our run" so to speak?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
can we expect parts of the summary to end up in the papers within the next couple of days?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
How’s Aarts looking...? Reckon he could be the big mover this year.
Aarts had a bit of a slow start to pre-season, a bit of rehab early but up and going now, game sim is the place he is more likely to shine with his smarts and competitive streak.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Are we usually focusing more on having players on the park as opposed to breaking them as part of "timing our run" so to speak?
Well there hasn't been much hard physical contact more like in your face pressure and a bit of scragging most likely try to minimize contact injuries until it's absolutely necessary to step things up.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Aarts had a bit of a slow start to pre-season, a bit of rehab early but up and going now, game sim is the place he is more likely to shine with his smarts and competitive streak.
I guess he's also been a little distracted - he and his partner welcomed their first child, a baby girl, earlier this month.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I guess he's also been a little distracted - he and his partner welcomed their first child, a baby girl, earlier this month.

There wasn't much else to do last April.

• Haha

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I reckon we are only going at about a 7, I see vision at other clubs having full on game sim. One could be worried except we have proved we are experts at timing, (not necessarily for round 1, we are just lucky we get Carlton each year;)), to get our players through a season.
Also we finished the season later than most and started our pre-season a week after everyone else.
Yea , reading the hard way they are very conscious of timing the run , through lockdown and the return , they deliberately had a softly softly approach to avoid injury and burnout , seems an intrinsic aPproach from burgo

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yea , reading the hard way they are very conscious of timing the run , through lockdown and the return , they deliberately had a softly softly approach to avoid injury and burnout , seems an intrinsic aPproach from burgo

we learnt a hell of a lot from that season of 2018 - can’t see us making that mistake twice

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Maybe that is why he missed a session or two then

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Not that it mattered, but hopefully we are a bit more competitive against the Hawks in round 2 than we were last year.
I think that disjointed play on the return had much to do with the splintered training groups which screwed with our systematic way we play

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
the '19 book starts with the lessons learned from '18. they really are great books