Traralgon 'turns it on' for Tigers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Traralgon 'turns it on' for Tigers

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Traralgon 'turns it on' for Tigers
4:58:01 PM Tue 4 February, 2003
Paul Gough in Traralgon
afl.com.au

Richmond may not have traveled as far as many other AFL clubs for their pre-season camp but the Tigers are hoping their four day visit to the Victorian country town of Traralgon will not only help spread the game’s message but also boost club coffers.

While the bulk of Victorian clubs chose to spend their pre-season camps interstate – the Tigers made the short two hour drive to an area of Gippsland that is a Richmond stronghold.

A survey of the 311 Auskick participants registered for Traralgon revealed that almost 20 percent or nearly one in five barrack for Richmond making the Tigers’ the best supported club in this part of Victoria.

And the Tigers will repay those children for their loyalty over the coming days by giving them a chance to get up and close and personal with the players.

“We’ve got a clinic on Wednesday and Thursday so that will be a good chance for those kids to meet the players,” Richmond football manager Greg Hutchison said.

Hutchison said he hoped the club’s visit to an area where there are so many children follow the Tigers may also lead to more people from Traralgon electing to become club members in 2003.

The Tigers received a warm welcome from the city’s civic leaders at a reception upon their arrival in Traralgon on Tuesday morning and they will remain in Gippsland until Friday.

However the camp is not just about spreading the AFL message and repaying the people of Traralgon for their strong support of the Tigers.

It is also an essential part of the team’s on-field build-up to the season with the Tigers to conduct several intense training sessions although unlike several other AFL clubs, they will not engage in any match practice while on camp.

Hutchison said the Tigers would split their training sessions between both Traralgon and nearby Morwell, praising the facilities at both grounds.

The Tigers’ first intra-club hit-out will be on Friday February 14 at the Whitten Oval while their Wizard Cup campaign gets underway the following Friday night against Melbourne at the Telstra Dome.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
I hope all the players had car alarms and locked all there valuables out of sight ;D

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I've passsed through their a few times...never turned me on, but the blood red sunsets from the smoke haze were pretty cool 8)

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
I hope all the players had car alarms and locked all there valuables out of sight ;D
you moved to gippsland?any chance of going further east i.ll tell u when to stop ;D