Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
If all else fails, Watchafl.com.au lets you buy a 1 week subscription for around $25
I did this recently in Croatia. Was brilliant to be able to watch the game wherever we were at the time.

In other news, I'm supposed to be heading to Paris for the Olympics next year but not liking these pictures out of France..

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
In other news, I'm supposed to be heading to Paris for the Olympics next year but not liking these pictures out of France..
Probably wouldn't be an issue if the rioting was a one off event, but them bloody Froggies almost seem to be looking for any excuse to rampage. They've been having regular protests n riots for what seems like the last four or five years. Reckon old mate Macaroni's divided the Froggies nearly as bad as the Trumpster has divided the Yanks.

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Probably wouldn't be an issue if the rioting was a one off event, but them bloody Froggies almost seem to be looking for any excuse to rampage. They've been having regular protests n riots for what seems like the last four or five years. Reckon old mate Macaroni's divided the Froggies nearly as bad as the Trumpster has divided the Yanks.
Quite different to Trump in that Macron is very much a centrist, from outside the traditional political factions and parties. Would be like an independent beating both the Republican and Democrat candidates in an American presidential election.

But you are right, France is very much divided. Not inconceivable to see a Presidential run off between the far-left and far-right candidates in the not too distant future. A situation seen as pretty much impossible up until recently.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm going to Italy later this year, not crazy about the far right government, but these issues in so many countries are a reflection of greater economic inequality and political impotence under representative democracy. People are p!ssed off and they have reason to be, and we're seeing major parties in a lot of countries losing support. What happens next is anyone's guess but the sort of unrest we see will continue while people feel they are not getting a reasonable share and have little or no recourse.

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Quite different to Trump in that Macron is very much a centrist, from outside the traditional political factions and parties. Would be like an independent beating both the Republican and Democrat candidates in an American presidential election.

But you are right, France is very much divided. Not inconceivable to see a Presidential run off between the far-left and far-right candidates in the not too distant future. A situation seen as pretty much impossible up until recently.
Macron is just another puppet of the WEF.

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Going on my first overseas trip in 5 years in February. Its basically going to be a Football (Sokkah) trip. I have already secured tickets to 2 Tottenham home games. I’m also hoping to go to a Sankt Pauli game, Millwall game, and maybe Leyton Orient, but dates would need to work out perfectly for that to happen.

Its gonna be 16 nights. 9-10 nights in London in 2 different stints. About 2-3 nights in Hamburg. And the last 3-4 nights will be in Belgium/Netherlands. I am travelling solo. However, a Spurs mate of mine who lives in Sydney will be in London at the same time. He is staying with a mate, so we won’t be sharing accommodation.

No accommodation has been booked yet as I am waiting for match schedules to be confirmed (around the second week of December).

I need some advice on a couple of things:

1. London accommodation. When I travel with the misses, we spend $300-$350 per night to get something reasonable. But I can’t afford that on my own. I need to keep my nightly budget as close to $200 per night as practically possible. I don’t care if its small as long as its clean and safe. I won’t go backpackers and I‘m hesitant about going with Airbnb after a bad experience a few years ago.

The first stint will be in South London, not far from where my friend is staying. Elephant & Castle, Canada Water or somewhere in between. I’ve never stayed in that part of London before.

The second stint will be in my old stomping ground in West London. South Kensington or Bayswater. Its more expensive I know. But I can’t go to London and not spend a few days there.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations for places to stay. In particular South London. My friend will be staying in Telegraph Hill.

2. How do I cope with a Northern Winter? I have never been to Europe in winter before. London averages 7-8 degrees in February, which feels manageable. But I checked the weather in Hamburg yesterday and it was -1 at 12:30pm local time. I wouldn’t know thew first thing about how to dress in those conditions.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Going on my first overseas trip in 5 years in February. Its basically going to be a Football (Sokkah) trip. I have already secured tickets to 2 Tottenham home games. I’m also hoping to go to a Sankt Pauli game, Millwall game, and maybe Leyton Orient, but dates would need to work out perfectly for that to happen.

Its gonna be 16 nights. 9-10 nights in London in 2 different stints. About 2-3 nights in Hamburg. And the last 3-4 nights will be in Belgium/Netherlands. I am travelling solo. However, a Spurs mate of mine who lives in Sydney will be in London at the same time. He is staying with a mate, so we won’t be sharing accommodation.

No accommodation has been booked yet as I am waiting for match schedules to be confirmed (around the second week of December).

1. London accommodation. When I travel with the misses, we spend $300-$350 per night to get something reasonable. But I can’t afford that on my own. I need to keep my nightly budget as close to $200 per night as practically possible. I don’t care if its small as long as its clean and safe. I won’t go backpackers and I‘m hesitant about going with Airbnb after a bad experience a few years ago.

The first stint will be in South London, not far from where my friend is staying. Elephant & Castle, Canada Water or somewhere in between. I’ve never stayed in that part of London before.

The second stint will be in my old stomping ground in West London. South Kensington or Bayswater. Its more expensive I know. But I can’t go to London and not spend a few days there.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations for places to stay. In particular South London. My friend will be staying in Telegraph Hill.

2. How do I cope with a Northern Winter? I have never been to Europe in winter before. London averages 7-8 degrees in February, which feels manageable. But I checked the weather in Hamburg yesterday and it was -1 at 12:30pm local time. I wouldn’t know thew first thing about how to dress in those conditions.

Hey Binman, I’ve got no recommendations but I wouldn’t discount Airbnb based on one bad experience.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Accomodation - For $200 at that time of the year, I'd probably be looking at places like the Ibis hotels, or Holiday Inns, Premier Inns. There are plenty around there. There is an Ibis hotel in Southwark / Blackfriars (walking distance to Elephant and Castle). I personally wouldn't stay in the Telegraph Hill area, being close to Peckham its not the nicest of areas. I used to live in South London (Brixton and then Colliers Wood) but wouldn't go too much further south east from there unless you are getting out of the city. If you plan to go a bit further out from the city, you can get rates of around $200 / night in Greenwich. I believe there is either a Premier Inn or Travel Inn there.

You can also get hotels around the Victoria station area for around the $200 / night rate, but then you are getting pretty close to Kensington which you will be staying in your 2nd stay.

As for the weather, make sure you have a good pair of shoes, plenty of grip and enclosed. You are likely to get a fair amount of rain at that time of the year, so you don't want your feet getting cold, and if it happens to be icy, you don't want to be sliding around because you have no grip. A decent coat and a scarf . beanie are good too. You'll especially need them if you are going to any night games when you are over there.

Staying warm in winter isn't too hard. Just where layers really. T-shirt, a jumper and a coat when you go out with a scarf and a beanie and you will feel nice and snug.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
BTW if you like a nice cooked breakfast when you are in the UK (who doesn't love a fryup every now and again), don't bother with breakfasts at the hotels, they are super expensive. Head to a Wetherspoons pub (there are heaps of them), as you can get breakfasts for like 5GBP.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
BTW if you like a nice cooked breakfast when you are in the UK (who doesn't love a fryup every now and again), don't bother with breakfasts at the hotels, they are super expensive. Head to a Wetherspoons pub (there are heaps of them), as you can get breakfasts for like 5GBP.
True, we ate at the Masque Haunt on Old st. Cheap breakfast. Quality …meh but it put a full breaky in your stomach for the day.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Hey Binman, I’ve got no recommendations but I wouldn’t discount Airbnb based on one bad experience.

I need convincing.

Accomodation - For $200 at that time of the year, I'd probably be looking at places like the Ibis hotels, or Holiday Inns, Premier Inns. There are plenty around there. There is an Ibis hotel in Southwark / Blackfriars (walking distance to Elephant and Castle). I personally wouldn't stay in the Telegraph Hill area, being close to Peckham its not the nicest of areas. I used to live in South London (Brixton and then Colliers Wood) but wouldn't go too much further south east from there unless you are getting out of the city. If you plan to go a bit further out from the city, you can get rates of around $200 / night in Greenwich. I believe there is either a Premier Inn or Travel Inn there.

You can also get hotels around the Victoria station area for around the $200 / night rate, but then you are getting pretty close to Kensington which you will be staying in your 2nd stay.

As for the weather, make sure you have a good pair of shoes, plenty of grip and enclosed. You are likely to get a fair amount of rain at that time of the year, so you don't want your feet getting cold, and if it happens to be icy, you don't want to be sliding around because you have no grip. A decent coat and a scarf . beanie are good too. You'll especially need them if you are going to any night games when you are over there.

Staying warm in winter isn't too hard. Just where layers really. T-shirt, a jumper and a coat when you go out with a scarf and a beanie and you will feel nice and snug.

That's Brilliant, thank you @mrposhman. Your post is exactly what I was looking for.

I will look at Ibis, Premier Inns, Holiday Inn, etc. Looks like there are a few around the Southwark area.

Southwark is perfect for me as it connects to Canada Water station on the Jubilee line. From Canada Water, I can get the overground to New Cross gate (closest station to Telegraph Hill). 20 minute trip. Perfect.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

On breakfasts this probably applies wherever you go. I just had 2 weeks in Japan (loved it) and breakfasts in hotels were at least $40AUD but there are plenty of cafes open in Tokyo and Kyoto where you could get breakfast for around $12AUD