Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

Wishiwazzaclohesy

Tiger Superstar
Aug 6, 2004
Re: Bangkok

struggletown3121 said:
ClayBevan said:
cassady said:

:mad:

Maybe you could take him back to the tribunal to extend his suspension period for impersonation Bevan?? :police:

Under the new tribunal system I'm offering Cass an immediate 2 day suspension, with the loss of 75 'demerit points', and a $5- fine made payable to the Starlight Children's Foundation of Australia.
If Cass chooses to fight the charge, he, and his association representative (Harry, one assumes) will have to make their case to the tribunal, comprising of a voting bench of myself, Curtis, Roar, Struggles, Gypsy, Anduril, and Jools. He obviously risks much higher suspension and fines, especially given his recent tribunal track record.

Discuss

CB

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Re: Travel/Overseas thread

Great way to travel around Europe and meet people without doing a tour is on Busabout.
I did Contiki in 03 and Busabout in 04 and enjoyed Busabout more as allows more freedom to stay longer at a place and once you get to a destination you can do what you like. You can stay at busabout pu/do hostel or do your own hotel and you meet different people on each trip and hotel.

Just back from Singapore and Hong Kong. Recommend races in HKG (posted more info on racing thread), Singapore cleanest Asian city, recommend tour of Chapel Muesam and Night Safari, a Singapore Sling.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

mk33 said:
Great way to travel around Europe and meet people without doing a tour is on Busabout.
I did Contiki in 03 and Busabout in 04 and enjoyed Busabout more as allows more freedom to stay longer at a place and once you get to a destination you can do what you like. You can stay at busabout pu/do hostel or do your own hotel and you meet different people on each trip and hotel.

Just back from Singapore and Hong Kong. Recommend races in HKG (posted more info on racing thread), Singapore cleanest Asian city, recommend tour of Chapel Muesam and Night Safari, a Singapore Sling.

Hi MK,
Busabout, is that like a Top Deck tour?
I did a Top Deck Tour around Sthrn Europe in 2001, then did one again over Nthrn Europe & the Eastern Bloc in 2003. Great way to do Europe for a first time, to get one's bearings before retuning to visit properly.
Don't know where to start talking about places overseas. The only continent that I haven't yet visited is South America, although I'm not in a hurry to get there.

Maybe we can talk about one country at a time.
Liverpool,
You started the thread, maybe each week you can nominate a particular country around the world and we can then talk about that respective country. You can do that by just altering the title by modifying your first post.

This thread could potentially go on for several years. ;)

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

Unsure sorry Phantom if similar as have not heard of Top Deck.
Busabout had set routings ie: Barcelona to Avignon, Avignon to Nice etc, there is about 70 routes ! and about 30 buses with a guide and driver on each bus and you can book online or with guide. There little commentary and the bus just picks up and drops off at the hostel and leaves every second day. Great way to do Europe if not want tour and caters for all aged groups.

Will have to get some travel knowledge off you Phantom or anyone else when next go on holidays.
I am fortunate to work in the travel industry and have just started to travel since joining the industry and love it (work for wholeslae company so that is why I have not heard of top deck as opposed to an agent).

Would love to hear peoples stories and thoughts re travels especially yours Phantom as you have travelled extensively. I reckon start the thread with a new country and people thoughts.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Gee!
Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead... :eek:

Thans, and good stuff! :clap

Hope more people can contribute some of their travel experiences from around Australia, and the world! 8)

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

One of my favourite places was Nepal, Scouser

At the time it was the 3rd poorest country in the world

But I had never seen such happy people anywhere

We flew Royal Nepal Airlines, not a very large plane

I think they managed to shoosh all the cattle away before we landed :hihi

It was very late at night, and we got a taxi to take us anywhere there was a room

Rather scary going through medieval streets pitch black, we could have easily been abducted :help

We finally found a room and were offered a cup of tea

I reluctantly said yes, most of the cuppas we had in Asia were awful

This was the best tea that I have ever tasted however

Darjeeling was just down the road, no wonder ;D lovely fresh tea and a good nights sleep

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Sounds interesting TC....so did you go to Everest while you were there mate?
And is China there too, like they are in Tibet, or is that a totally separate issue?

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

We could see Everest from the hotel rooftop Liverpool

I think the foothills to the Himalayas were about 6000 feet, we couldn't risk an unborn child at altitude

It was funny sitting in a tropical garden, surrounded by lush plants

Then looking up to massive mountain peaks, even the small mountains there are 20 000 ft +

There were a lot of Tibetans there selling their wares, and telling awful stories about China

It wasn't a pleasant trip out of Tibet into Nepal, there was only one road on the map

Right over the huge mountains

The Nepalese are more Indian than Chinese, as we headed south to the game reserves to ride elephants

It became more and more like India and far more densely populated

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Mountains that size leave our "Alps" left looking like an ant-hill... :hihi...would be awesome to see though...bet ya got some good photos as well! :)

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Yeah the mountains were awesome, as you fly out of Nepal along the Himalaya

They go on for hundreds of miles towards Pakistan, even the tiny peaks as they petered out were bigger

than our largest

There were loads of eagles riding the air currents higher and higher

I spent a day boating and came face to face with one eating a rat in some trees

Boy was it beautiful, and HUGE, would have had a wingspan over 6 foot

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Yeah?
The only eagles I've come across are the wedge-tailed ones we have here, as there are plenty round where I live/work.

What airline goes to Nepal anyway TC?
Every time I think of flying to Nepal, I think of that old plane in the Indiana Jones movie with chickens and farm animals everywhere! :rofl

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

They were jets man, but just small ones, sorta like you would get to go to Tassie

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Have you travelled much TC?

I've only been to Europe....and even then it was round Scandinavia and Austria only.
Still...had the BEST time! 8)

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Mainly Europe, but have been to Bali a couple of times

And once travelled through SE Asia then via Nepal to UK again

It's great to travel as often as possible

You really get perspective on how good Australia really is

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

TC said:
Mainly Europe, but have been to Bali a couple of times

And once travelled through SE Asia then via Nepal to UK again

It's great to travel as often as possible

You really get perspective on how good Australia really is

Oh for sure...even in Western Europe, its just the "little things" that show that we are up there as a top country.
Just a small example....you go to a supermarket in, say, Sweden (as an example, so if there are any Swedes reading this, I'm not picking on you! :hihi) and you might have a selection of 2 or 3 different brands of peanut butter.
here, there could be 20 or so...smooth, crunchy, different brands, etc.

TC, have you got a favourite place...one that blew you away?

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Different places for different reasons man

I just came back from driving through Scotland on hundreds of miles of winding country roads

That appealed to the driver in me

Rome and Venice were fantastic for old architecture

Just going back to UK to see family is always a buzz

I could laze away on the North shores of Bali indefinately

And Nepal is an amazing eye opener

I wouldn't want to live anywhere but Australia

And there is so much of that left to see

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

Great readin TC and Liverpool, I like reading other travel stories unfortunately mine are not as interesting.
Please tell us more as want to keep this thread alive and hopefully more people add to and I may ask questions during the year.