Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

E

easy_tiger

spook said:
But did you have the weasel poo coffee? Magnifique!

I bought a weasel that trained to *smile* a coffee straight into my mouth at 0700 on the knocker every day. I fed it only condensed milk, which gave the morning hit a real sweetness.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
CC TIGER said:
What were your thoughts on New York Tim ?
We spent the first 9 days in manhattan and Manhattan is great, loved it. Stayed on the lower east village on 7th st. zipped around all day on the subway going here and there.

Then we spent a week in Brooklyn....and after a couple of days we kept commuting back to manhattan. Brooklyn did nothing for me. Granted we weren't staying in the most salubrious area but even downtown Brooklyn was dull.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
tigertim said:
We spent the first 9 days in manhattan and Manhattan is great, loved it. Stayed on the lower east village on 7th st. zipped around all day on the subway going here and there.

Then we spent a week in Brooklyn....and after a couple of days we kept commuting back to manhattan. Brooklyn did nothing for me. Granted we weren't staying in the most salubrious area but even downtown Brooklyn was dull.
Great to here, looking at going back October next year. Different situation an I'd love to live there for a year

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:

I loved Brooklyn as much as Manhattan. But I was staying with a friend of a friend who I hung out with a fair bit in local haunts so that would made a difference. I loved Coney Island especially.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
I loved Brooklyn as much as Manhattan. But I was staying with a friend of a friend who I hung out with a fair bit in local haunts so that would made a difference. I loved Coney Island especially.
We were going to go to CI but it's closed in winter.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
in 2018 I am going to Russia for the world cup and then going on to Europe with the missus. we have roughly worked out our itinerary, but we are looking for one more city to visit over 3-4 days. I have seen a fair bit of Europe and I am not looking to visit a place I have already been to (which rules out most of the more common destinations). i'm looking for more of a hidden gem. as a prerequisite, I would like this to be a city as opposed to an island/beach destination (as that is already covered on the itinerary). any suggestions?

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
poppa x said:
If I was that far north Ian, and subject to $'s, I'd be looking to see the Northern Lights.
2c.

I believe the World Cup is in summer. (Doesn't really get dark up north...)

We loved Zagreb, but probably not for 4 days.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
poppa x said:
If I was that far north Ian, and subject to $'s, I'd be looking to see the Northern Lights.
2c.

Wont see many northern lights in Summer. They are also hit and miss. It took my 3rd trip abive the artic circle before I saw them, and while special, what I saw was just fleeting.

What do you want to do in this city Ian? Drink, Shop, Eat, Historical Ruins ?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
poppa x said:
2c.

good suggestion, but Scandinavia is planned for our next trip. I wanna spend a couple of weeks there at summer solstice time and do the midnight sun thing. we don't have the time to do it this trip.

lukeanddad said:
We loved Zagreb, but probably not for 4 days.

we're going to Dubrovnik on this trip. my mate of Croatian descent recommends Dubrovnik easily over Split or Zagreb. But as Dubrovnik is likely to be our last destination, and because Emirates starts flying out of Zagreb from this year, it does present an opportunity for a short stop on our way through.

Baloo said:
What do you want to do in this city Ian? Drink, Shop, Eat, Historical Ruins ?

mainly looking for history and beauty with a dash of drink for me and shopping for her.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Ian4 said:
in 2018 I am going to Russia for the world cup and then going on to Europe with the missus. we have roughly worked out our itinerary, but we are looking for one more city to visit over 3-4 days. I have seen a fair bit of Europe and I am not looking to visit a place I have already been to (which rules out most of the more common destinations). i'm looking for more of a hidden gem. as a prerequisite, I would like this to be a city as opposed to an island/beach destination (as that is already covered on the itinerary). any suggestions?

Ian - don't know where you have been before but the three capitals of the Baltic states - Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius are worth checking out - I passed through there over 20'years ago and they were pretty special back then - who knows now

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Ian4 said:
we're going to Dubrovnik on this trip. my mate of Croatian descent recommends Dubrovnik easily over Split or Zagreb. But as Dubrovnik is likely to be our last destination, and because Emirates starts flying out of Zagreb from this year, it does present an opportunity for a short stop on our way through.

I wouldn't recommend Dubrovnik b/w June and September. Monster cruise ships spewing thousands of tourists with shorts, long socks and sandals. Pretty town, but imagine the queue for a beer at hal;f time at the grand final...

Agree on your mate's assessment of Split.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ian4 said:
mainly looking for history and beauty with a dash of drink for me and shopping for her.

Any of the eastern block capitals would be worth it. Prague, Budapest, Warsaw etc

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
thanks peoples.

the Baltic states is an interesting suggestion. while it is close to Russia, I am likely to be meeting the missus in Dubai after the World Cup (before going on to Europe), so its probably not practical on this trip. but combining it with Scandinavia on the next trip would work :fing32

I was expecting Dubrovnik to be busy but unavoidable as I desperately wanna go to Croatia. after last year I am unlikely to visit Europe outside of the northern summer anytime soon. Perhaps going during the week instead of a weekend will help a little?

been to Prague, Budapest and Warsaw. loved them all (especially Budapest). will go back at some point, but I would prefer to avoid visiting a place I have already been to for this destination.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I've been to all of Budapest, Prague and Riga in the past few years and could recommend them all.
How about Krakow?
The wife dragged me there against my will in 2015 but I was quite impressed by the salt mines and Auschwitz (not sure "impressed" is the right word for Auschwitz but you know what I mean).

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Actually A-U-S-C-H-W-I-T-Z is not all that close to Krakow but it's an easy day trip (or even half).
And why is this forum translating H-W-I-T to Hardwick ?

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Recommend Botswana .. amazing animals / safaris countryside .Safe esp compared to South Africa and Zimbabwe But don't come this time of year flooding cyclones .