Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Locked in Yosemite, New York (Boston) and Las Vegas in October, going to hire a car from Vegas and do a day trip out i40 ( Route 66) . Appreciate any suggestions for those parts of the states .

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
CC TIGER said:
Locked in Yosemite,

There's a little swimming area called Curry Village where you can swim in the river quite safely. Nice area for kids if you have them. That was 20 years ago though.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
CC TIGER said:
Locked in Yosemite, New York (Boston) and Las Vegas in October, going to hire a car from Vegas and do a day trip out i40 ( Route 66) . Appreciate any suggestions for those parts of the states .

Just south of the i40 is a place called Lake Havasu. Great area for swimming and playing around. It's now the location of the original London Bridge - the Yanks who bought it thought they were buying Tower Bridge. London Bridge was taken down stone by stone, shipped to the US and rebuilt exactly as it was in London.

There's a few DFO's in the area as well if you like a bit of cheap shopping.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
CC TIGER said:

grand canyon

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Midsy said:
Just south of the i40 is a place called Lake Havasu. Great area for swimming and playing around. It's now the location of the original London Bridge - the Yanks who bought it thought they were buying Tower Bridge. London Bridge was taken down stone by stone, shipped to the US and rebuilt exactly as it was in London.

There's a few DFO's in the area as well if you like a bit of cheap shopping.
Thanks Midsy

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
CC TIGER said:
Did the States back in April. Yosemite is nothing short of spectacular and a chopper flight over the Grand Canyon is definitely worth it and beats driving out there.
Have an awesome trip.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Does Mars count as overseas?

All below images are fair dinkum. Happened last night. There is a now a red convertible on it's way to either Mars orbit or the asteroid belt and it is playing Bowies 'Life on Mars' on the radio.

SpaceX launches Falcon Heavy:
BN-VM472_3dfeQ_OR_20171009093050.jpg

The two outer tanks land simultaneously for reuse:
nn_tco_spacex_rocket_launch_180206_1920x1080.jpg

'Starman' in his Tesla Roadster in Earth orbit:
spacex-launch-video-watch-falcon-heavy-tesla-roadster-car-in-space-915453.jpg

Full video:
[youtube=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCc16uozHVE
[/youtube]

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Disco said:
Did the States back in April. Yosemite is nothing short of spectacular and a chopper flight over the Grand Canyon is definitely worth it and beats driving out there.
Have an awesome trip.
Thanks Disco

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Anyone here live or regularly visit Japan? I've basically been living in Hakuba the last two footy off seasons.

If anyone likes deep powder snow, this is the place to visit.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
my trip this year is 70% booked. depart mid-June.

7 days in Russia (have tickets to 2 world cup games and in the ballot for Australia v Denmark).
4 days in Dubrovnik.
11 days in Sicily/Aeolian islands (that's where my partner is from).
6 days in London (I never visit Europe without going to the best city in the world outside of Melbourne).
4 days in Cologne.
4 days in Santorini.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
my trip this year is 70% booked. depart mid-June.

7 days in Russia (have tickets to 2 world cup games and in the ballot for Australia v Denmark).
4 days in Dubrovnik.
11 days in Sicily/Aeolian islands (that's where my partner is from).
6 days in London (I never visit Europe without going to the best city in the world outside of Melbourne).
4 days in Cologne.
4 days in Santorini.
Enjoy binman, sounds like an excellent holiday. AP must pay well! :D

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Enjoy binman, sounds like an excellent holiday. AP must pay well! :D

Thanks. I was successful in the ballot for Denmark v Australia so its upwards and onwards from here. ;D

FYI, I'm wouldn't say I'm on mega bucks dude. The key to my lifestyle and being able to travel a lot is simple... no kids.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
Thanks. I was successful in the ballot for Denmark v Australia so its upwards and onwards from here. ;D

FYI, I'm wouldn't say I'm on mega bucks dude. The key to my lifestyle and being able to travel a lot is simple... no kids.
Understand. I’ve only one left now the other 3 are adults (kidults?) so I’m hoping more travel beckons.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Hoping to pick the brains of our US based PRE'nders.

Looking at travelling to NYC in April 2019, and have been looking on Air B&B for accommodation, and found a couple of apartments in the East Village , that appeal to all intending travellers. Is early April a good time to be in Manhattan/NYC, is the East Village a suitable family stay area? It does seem reasonably well serviced by Public transport etc, and not too bad place to base ourselves. Daughters will be 16 & 17 if we travel in April.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
bigwow said:

Looking at travelling to NYC in April 2019, and have been looking on Air B&B for accommodation, and found a couple of apartments in the East Village , that appeal to all intending travellers. Is early April a good time to be in Manhattan/NYC, is the East Village a suitable family stay area? It does seem reasonably well serviced by Public transport etc, and not too bad place to base ourselves. Daughters will be 16 & 17 if we travel in April.
I stayed on East 7th st in January last year in a despicable Airbnb joint but I did like east village.

Trains are pretty convenient anywhere in NY. Depends where you intend going, we found ourselves always training it back up to midtown. If I went back I’d stay midtown.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
bigwow said:

I was there in April 2016 bigwow, good time weather wise I found, cool but not cold. I stayed on 8th Avenue near time square, great location, walking distance to so many things, subway is so easy to her around and only costs $30 for a week. Uber works well there. If your doing the touristy stuff I recommend getting a New York pass, saves heaps of time by not having to line up for tickets, plus some atttractions it has an express lane, very good value imho. Doing a big bus trip is a cool way to see all of NYC, New York pass gives you a day on this.

Going back the day after we go back to back can’t wait, such an awesome place to visit.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Thinking of backpacking from Texas to Boston in Xmas 2020, I’ve never back packed before , anyone got any tips ? I figure it should be the cheapest way to travel

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Mr Brightside said:
Thinking of backpacking from Texas to Boston in Xmas 2020, I’ve never back packed before , anyone got any tips ? I figure it should be the cheapest way to travel

do your hair like yesterdays effort & you'll be fine :)

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Mr Brightside said:
I love that way of travelling. Pretty flexible too. Can be as cheap or expensive as you like. For example, my wife and I have done it before. My wife likes creature comforts more than I. So often when we backpacked it was budget hotels or private rooms in hostels/guesthouses, instead of the absolute budget option of a dorm room (plus braking it up with stopping in and staying at friends places).

I like the freedom of only having a rough plan of where I'll be and hopping gradually across a region from location to location using trains, buses or even cheap hire car to fill in gaps here and there. I like getting to know public transit networks within cities too. All the stuff that lets you get into the fabric of a place and get a feel for how it works on a day to day basis. I'm a keen runner too, so if it seems safe, one of the first things I'll do in a new city/town is go for a run. I manage to cover a fair amount of ground just seeing every day life and what makes the place tick.

Back in December 2004 we backpacked around the north east of the US. Flew into NYC, had some time staying at a YMCA budget hotel in NYC, then we traveled by train and stayed with friends in Connecticut. Saw the Rhode Island/Massachusetts coasts, into Boston. Bused up to Montreal, explored Montreal, Quebec City and other parts of Quebec. Traveled back to Connecticut with a bit of time in Vermont (the New England region really is a beautiful, underrated part of the world) on the way. From there we ended up heading down to Philadelphia by train for a bit, before going back to NYC to fly out. Trains, buses, even advance purchase flights between major hubs are all pretty reasonably priced in the US.

We essentially backpacked in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore with out 3 1/2 YO daughter nearly four years ago too. She's now 7YO and we have a little one only 2YO. But once he's 4-5 (and his sister 9-10YO), we'd do that style of holiday again. When we're paying for four, got to try a form of holiday that will get our money the furthest, while showing the kids how other parts of the world tick.