Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Jb junior daughter is heading to Europe next week. Any suggestions on what is the best way to go in relation to use of mobile phone, WiFi etc?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
There’s lots of free wifi in most shops etc. My wife paid a $5 a day international roaming fee on our mobile which means you just use your mobile as you’d normally do but it cost only $5 a day extra.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Jb junior daughter is heading to Europe next week. Any suggestions on what is the best way to go in relation to use of mobile phone, WiFi etc?

Just got back and I had a Europe & UK SIM Card (71 Countries | 12GB) just for the times when WIFI might not be available - such as when the footy was on as I also paid a subscription to WatchAFL.com.au
Cost about $50 which was OK for the SIM (and $33 for AFL)
But there's lots of WIFI available

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
There’s lots of free wifi in most shops etc. My wife paid a $5 a day international roaming fee on our mobile which means you just use your mobile as you’d normally do but it cost only $5 a day extra.

Does that depend on your provider and/or the deal you already have with your provider?
Do all providers offer something like that?

The Europe SIM I used was fine for calls and texts within Europe and for data - but I couldn't send texts home to Oz which didn't matter since we used WhatsApp.
But does the extra $5 include calls and text home as well as Europe?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Just got back and I had a Europe & UK SIM Card (71 Countries | 12GB) just for the times when WIFI might not be available - such as when the footy was on as I also paid a subscription to WatchAFL.com.au
Cost about $50 which was OK for the SIM (and $33 for AFL)
But there's lots of WIFI available
Thanks Ten

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Does that depend on your provider and/or the deal you already have with your provider?
Do all providers offer something like that?

The Europe SIM I used was fine for calls and texts within Europe and for data - but I couldn't send texts home to Oz which didn't matter since we used WhatsApp.
But does the extra $5 include calls and text home as well as Europe?

I know Vodafone do that, the $5 a day just lets you use the same plan you have in Australia, but use it overseas in any countries. Ie. if you have 20gb of data, you can use that in any country just like you would in Aus by paying them an extra $5 / day.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I know Vodafone do that, the $5 a day just lets you use the same plan you have in Australia, but use it overseas in any countries. Ie. if you have 20gb of data, you can use that in any country just like you would in Aus by paying them an extra $5 / day.
I spoke to Telstra about that idea and they said they don't do it so it must depend on the carrier.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Leave for Kenya and Tanzania on Tuesday.
15 day Safari.
Only downside I'll miss the port and pies clash.
If anyone has any tips for my Safari please pass them on.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If Dusty's in the Maldives he should keep to the resorts. Crime-ridden joint full of terrorist sympathisers.

Sound advice. He might want wander onto a beach frequented by natives and be intimidated by people like this.

1024px-Maahefun_Fuvahmulah.JPG

A doubtless terrifying experience that could impact his psyche for the rest of his playing career.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sound advice. He might want wander onto a beach frequented by natives and be intimidated by people like this.

1024px-Maahefun_Fuvahmulah.JPG

A doubtless terrifying experience that could impact his psyche for the rest of his playing career.

Say what you like, the Maldives is the world's #1 supplier of ISIS fighters relative to population size. The capital's not safe for foreigners.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Say what you like, the Maldives is the world's #1 supplier of ISIS fighters relative to population size. The capital's not safe for foreigners.

yes, those cunning ISIS bastards drowned 5 tourists in a week. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...cles/maldives-drowning-warning-safe-swimming/

So yeah also did some research - as the OSAC puts it "There is moderate risk from civil unrest in Malé". Dusty creates moderate amounts of civil unrest in oppo backlines anyway so probably could handle it. Apparently 200 Maldive-origin ISIS fighters in Syria as per 2019. Nevertheless, as the OSAC report states, "Anti-U.S./Anti-Western Sentiment - There have been no specific, credible threats (or attacks) directed against U.S. citizens or interests in Maldives." Ever. Australians or Australian interests? Who knows. We are pretty obnoxious at times.

The capital as you say is incredibly unsafe for foreigners. Absolutely terrifying. For example the OSAC report says nothing at all about dangers in the capital, in a clear case of PC gone mad.

Of the horrific Malé capital which I personally would never dare to visit, the report says "There is minimal risk from crime in Malé. Most visits to Maldives surrounding the tourist resorts on remote islands remain relative trouble-free. However, there have been incidents of petty theft of goods left on beaches or in hotel rooms. Be aware of your surroundings, especially when traveling to Malé."

Dusty could be at severe risk of having his premiership medallion nicked from his beach towel when he goes for a dip at one of the Malé beaches. Someone evacuate him out STAT

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
yes, those cunning ISIS bastards drowned 5 tourists in a week. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...cles/maldives-drowning-warning-safe-swimming/ Deaths of tourists from terrorism, murder etc etc zero.

So yeah also did some research, some risk of civil unrest on the remote Malé Island - as the OSAC puts it "There is moderate risk from civil unrest in Malé". Dusty's probably not there and have heard he creates moderate amounts of civil unrest in oppo backlines anyway so probably could handle it. Apparently 200 Maldive-origin ISIS fighters in Syria as per 2019. Nevertheless, as the OSAC report states, "Anti-U.S./Anti-Western Sentiment - There have been no specific, credible threats (or attacks) directed against U.S. citizens or interests in Maldives." Ever. Australians or Australian interests? Who knows. We are pretty obnoxious at times.

The capital as you say is incredibly unsafe for foreigners. For example the OSAC report says nothing at all about dangers in the capital, in a clear case of PC gone mad.

Of the horrific Malé island which I personally would never dare to visit, the report says "There is minimal risk from crime in Malé. Most visits to Maldives surrounding the tourist resorts on remote islands remain relative trouble-free. However, there have been incidents of petty theft of goods left on beaches or in hotel rooms. Be aware of your surroundings, especially when traveling to Malé."

Dusty could be at severe risk of having his premiership medallion nicked from his beach towel when he goes for a dip at one of the Malé beaches.

Oh FFS. Broaden your reading. Terrorism is the #1 problem facing the country.

Maldives: Trouble In Paradise

And that's a sympathetic account.