Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Embarrassing that many of our senior players are shown up by a 17yr old kid. :p

At the same time it's exciting for the future. 8)

embarrassing but not surprising really

PurpleSneakers

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 9, 2007
Just a slight concern that when he hangs onto the ball to draw the man and give a teammate a clear run
(as pointed out by#7) he takes a hit in the process, must have done it 3 or 4 times on sat. It stands out 'cause no one else does it. It's admirable and great team play, but being a baby in the game getting continually smashed like that I hope he doesn't "Luke Ball" himself.( Or Wallace overuse him.)

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
tigers#7 said:
Hes also the only player in RFC who actually draws the man.
I actually don't agree with this.

I think a few players have started doing this noticeably a lot more this year, especially Lids.

but the Cotch does it better than most(if not all) 18yo's i have seen

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Redford said:
Anyone notice today how he alternated between right foot and left foot....right hand and left hand ? No difference in quality on either side. Superb.

Rare talent. Something to hold onto in these dark days.

I still would have had no problem if we did cotton wool him for the year.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Already in our top 3 players.

If he's sore, its time for a spell. No point burning him out now.

And he'd still be eligible for the RS Award next year.

Oct 20, 2006
MelBun
DragicevicFan said:
Already in our top 3 players.

If he's sore, its time for a spell. No point burning him out now.

And he'd still be eligible for the RS Award next year.

C'mon. He is a special talent, there is no doubt about that. I hope he doesn't read this rubbish that he is in our best three already. He has a few preseasons before he is fit enough to break tags that will come...and come soon if he keeps playing this way.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
TigersYellowAndBlack said:
C'mon. He is a special talent, there is no doubt about that. I hope he doesn't read this rubbish that he is in our best three already. He has a few preseasons before he is fit enough to break tags that will come...and come soon if he keeps playing this way.

Have to agree.... a mate and i were there watching and we were laughing about how Cotch was just running around by himself!!

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
TigersYellowAndBlack said:

One of our few players with good skills. His kicking on his non preffered is better than most of our players on their dominant side.

In terms of skills and decision making, there are few ahead of him

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Not meant as a critisism of Cotch but he only has a disposal effiency ranking on the mid 60s. People were getting stuck up Whitey when his was in the mid 80s.

Surely you jest saying Trent is in our top 3 players DF. Potentially yes, currently no way. Who do you have ahead of him? Pettifer and ? :blah

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Cotch will only get better the more he plays and build his fitness up, the legacy of not being able to do a full pre season.
My real worry is that if Richmond continue to play as badly as they have and let's face it, it really won't get much better for some years yet, is that the kid will do his 2 years penance at Richmond and then start looking around for a team that can deliver him some onfield success and I wouldn't blame him one bit. As for who is above Cotch in our best 3 I can come up with Richo and Lids, but no one else. It's really quite sad that it is true that a 4th gamer in his first season is one of the teams best players.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
CarnTheTiges said:
Cotch will only get better the more he plays and build his fitness up, the legacy of not being able to do a full pre season.
My real worry is that if Richmond continue to play as badly as they have and let's face it, it really won't get much better for some years yet, is that the kid will do his 2 years penance at Richmond and then start looking around for a team that can deliver him some onfield success and I wouldn't blame him one bit. As for who is above Cotch in our best 3 I can come up with Richo and Lids, but no one else. It's really quite sad that it is true that a 4th gamer in his first season is one of the teams best players.
A tad over the top there CTT.The last high draft pick to leave us was Ottens and even then it was after 6yrs at the club.

chris westcott

Tiger Cub
Mar 30, 2008
give him a big head just like every other half decent young guys that comes to tigerland then he have a good chance of that familar scenario we are all used to like the fab four call of 2005, and many others over the years

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
rosy23 said:
Not meant as a critisism of Cotch but he only has a disposal effiency ranking on the mid 60s. People were getting stuck up Whitey when his was in the mid 80s.

Surely you jest saying Trent is in our top 3 players DF. Potentially yes, currently no way. Who do you have ahead of him? Pettifer and ? :blah
This is not a go at Whitey but I think thats a good exmple of where u must be careful reading the efficency ratings........Little dabby chip kicks acrooss the backline a great for this rating but a player like Lids who constantly kicks long passes in to tight spots is going to have his rating go down due to the fact he has a lot more room for error.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Without doubt CC but do you think Lids and Cotch should rest on their laurels with a 60 something effiency rating or they are capable of lifting tothe 80s+? I think anyone who has Cotch, much as I love and have high hopes for him, as a top 3 player at this stage is putting the cart well ahead of the horse.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Wont be long though Rosy ;)....

No they shouldnt rest on there laurels an im sure they wont but to compare there skill levels in all aspects of the game to our little battler Whitey are a stretch

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
rosy23 said:

Have never claimed Pettifer was in our top 3. Just that he can get a rough deal from supporters, and his output in a shocking team, playing a tough role has been much better than he is given credit for. Thats another topic however.

On talent, I think Cotchin is in our top 3.

Right now, I would say only Lids, Brown, Richo and Foley would be ahead of him in players the opposition would be worried about when they play us. Sad really and shows where our list is at.