Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
But dear CC the complaints on here have been along the lines that Matty can't hit a target. The stats indicate differently. Whether it's chipping around the backline as you claim, or otherwise, he must be hitting the targets more often than not.

I wasn't meaning this to be a discussion about Matty just the same. He was just the first example that came to mind.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
rosy23 said:
But dear CC the complaints on here have been along the lines that Matty can't hit a target. The stats indicate differently. Whether it's chipping around the backline as you claim, or otherwise, he must be hitting the targets more often than not.

I wasn't meaning this to be a discussion about Matty just the same. He was just the first example that came to mind.
Dont worry I understood what u were saying....Just had a look at the stats an White had 2 clangers an gave away 1 free an yet still had 86% eff......I can remember 2 bad clangers of the top of my head an I thought a free was a clanger,this is not a bagging of White I just cant work some of this champion data stuff out. ::)

Tiger_Shark

Tiger Superstar
Mar 21, 2008
Melbourne
liked this piece

Cotchin rated 'super talent'
By Tony Sheahan

June 08, 2008
FORMER Adelaide captain Chris McDermott rated Trent Cotchin's first half for Richmond against Adelaide among the best two quarters played by a young player.

McDermott, a champion midfielder in his own right, was clearly impressed by Cotchin's skill level in only his fourth appearance for the Tigers.

"That's as good a first half as I've seen from a kid in a long time," he said.

"He gets the ball in good spots, he's got ripper vision and wants the footy which is a great sense for a kid to have.

"He's got a cool head and he's probably a little bit unselfish at the moment.

"He could probably do a little bit more . . . but gee, he is a super talent.

"That's as good an effort as I've seen from a four-game player."

Cotchin had a limited pre-season due to a severe ankle injury, and he did fade out of the game in the second half.

"His engine's probably let him down," McDermott said.

"He couldn't fire a shot in the second half and we know that's a problem because he didn't have a pre-season but, gee when he gets fit.

"There aren't too many weaknesses in his game."

Cotchin was the game's standout player in the first quarter, and he kicked an early goal as Richmond grabbed the ascendancy. The Crows were on the ropes with nowhere to hide.

After finding the ball in heavy traffic on the MCC wing, Cotchin weaved and evaded like a 200-gamer.

He was forced on to his left foot to set up the Tigers' fourth goal.

"It was a case of I can do this and no one can catch me," McDermott said.

"I like the fact he's got a little bit of cockiness about him."

Three minutes later, Cotchin left the ground as part of a midfield rotation. The Richmond faithful stood and applauded the teenager as if there was 14 minutes remaining in the match, not the first quarter.

At such an early point in the game, Melbourne legend Garry Lyon lauded him as,"The best of the current crop of kids."

Cotchin is a very confident kid. He was chosen by the Tigers at No.2 in the 2007 national draft behind Matthew Kruezer, and is a readymade addition to the Tigers' midfield.

Cotchin filled the hole left by his captain Kane Johnson who is sidelined due to injury.

"I just got to the right spots and the boys have faith in me and gave it to me," Cotchin said after the game.

Asked whether he was surprised to be playing a pivotal role in the midfield so soon, Cotchin replied: "Yeah a little bit, I was led to believe I would play a little more forward but, now that I'm in the midfield I'm loving it."

The young Tiger said he was still coming to terms with the lift in tempo from the Victorian Football League.

"The pace is a lot different, it's really quick and fitness becomes very important," he said.

"I feel like I'm getting better every game, so I've just got to keep improving."

Cotchin's foray into the big league has been slower than Richmond would have liked but he now feels he is starting to belong.

"I didn't get much of a pre-season so it's been tough on the body," Cotchin said.

"Against every side you have an opponent but you don't really think of their names, otherwise you're in trouble.

"I was overawed in my first game but now I just take it as it comes."
Sunday Herald Sun

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
rosy23 said:
Without doubt CC but do you think Lids and Cotch should rest on their laurels with a 60 something effiency rating or they are capable of lifting tothe 80s+? I think anyone who has Cotch, much as I love and have high hopes for him, as a top 3 player at this stage is putting the cart well ahead of the horse.

kicking efficiency is a funny old stat Rosey, the best users don't always have the best efficiency.

Anyway, it's early days. Cale Morton, the kids the Demons took with pick four, has excellent skills but he couldn't hit a barn door at the moment if it was wearing red and blue.

TrueTiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2004
Croydon
How did he not get this rounds rising star its a joke. 25pos and 1goal in a side that got smashed. Cotchin played well every week since he started. Kruezer not the same has had poor games and plays a good 10minute patch and gets it pfft.

Tigermad2005

Tiger Legend
Aug 18, 2004
Ballarat
TrueTiger said:
How did he not get this rounds rising star its a joke. 25pos and 1goal in a side that got smashed. Cotchin played well every week since he started. Kruezer not the same has had poor games and plays a good 10minute patch and gets it pfft.
Lets see he on the game for them and trent may as well not been playing in the 2nd half.
Don't worry you will be calling for his head in 2 years time. ???

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Chimp Kazoo has me genuinely excited.

Instant results, class, vision and tricks.

Feel sorry for the kid now though, he's already our second best midfielder and he's only 18. Can he handle the pressure??

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
lrg-4-chimp.jpg

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Tiger74 said:
Nothing wrong with the mighty kazoo :clap

There would have been 25 blasts of the Kazoo on Saturday for each of Chimp Kazoo's disposals.

Times that by around about 20,000 - 25,000 Richmond supporters and it would have been one noisy 'G.

B

Bill James

I don't care what we call him, any 18yo that plays for Richmond and gets 25 pos obvioulsy slipped through the recruiting systme unnoticed. How can we arrange more of them?