Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
The last page is reminiscent of when most posters had Jack Riewoldt shipped off to a retirement home last year.

After his pathetic last qtr where he couldn't even halve a contest I think those calls were right. Even dropped a chest mark and cost us that last shot at goal

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Chimp is nearing the end and I don't mind if he continues for another year as Jack is, however, I reckon he should step down this season and pass captaincy. We have to start building for the 2nd coming.

Reactions: 1 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Cotchins succession plan needs to be under way, I want him around, but since the end is near, its time to decouple his tenure from the team.
Definately think if on minimal $$ can be a 10-15 game mentor next year, but im affraid its clear as day Cotchins hamstrings limit how he throws his body around and how he runs and kicks. I doubt we can nurse him to 300 unforunately. In fact i gut feeling he will walk this year.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reckon after last year in the hub, backed up by another spell away while his daughter's been in hospital has had a massive impact on Cotch. Even if he's slowly fading into old fart syndrome, he's not quite there yet. Fought hard in and under, just couldn't quite get things working his way during the game. He wasn't the only one last night, we had a bunch that were well off their usual input n still should have had Wet Coke on toast but for ten minutes of nightmare.

Reckon with the boys getting home to their families n a few days spell away from footy will freshen them up nicely for the run at the flag.

Reactions: 3 users
Feb 25, 2007
12 disposals, was virtually invisible. When I did see him run, wow, he just looked so slow, like carrying concrete.
I thought with the game in the balance he was nowhere to be seen.

I hope in the run home he starts to pick up the pace as we need him hitting the packs hard. We are losing too many centre clearances and contests around the ground, Prestia and Cotchin are crucial in this area.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Cotchin is done. bloke has been an absolute champion, but the money we pay him would be better off being used on Cerra or to retain Bolton and CCJ.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Cotchin is done. bloke has been an absolute champion, but the money we pay him would be better off being used on Cerra or to retain Bolton and CCJ.
Ok let's retire him you got to be kidding right ?.

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I think Cotchin is done, because he can't get himself "up" each and every week, like he used to. Will he still have moments of brilliance? Yes, of course.
But I think they are going to be fewer and further between. The reason why I could see us keeping him on, is that we've asked people to renegotiate their wages in order to retain other players. You could always add another year to a player who was at the end, for a top up before retirement and the 15 game season Harry mentioned above.

But he's no longer the Chimp. He's willing himself to get up from a contest. rather than willing himself to the next one at the moment. I'll be more than happy to see him freshen up over the bye and have a last gasp burst to finals, but with 9 games plus anything in September, I think this should be his swansong. I don't want to see the almighty Chimp running around like a busted up veteran who is getting beat by players with half his talent.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Ok let's retire him you got to be kidding right ?.

I'm more than happy to let him decide if it’s his time. And there is a real possibility he will decide this year is the time. I also reckon there are other factors at play aside from his form on the park.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It's a worry we don't have his replacement yet and have to rely so much on him.

smokin joe

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 11, 2004
Prestia is so important to our midfield especially with Cotchin has no impact
would have held on I feel with Prestia in the middle instead of Cotchin
why didn’t anyone even stand next to yeo in the centre bounce was a training drill
for him and Nicnat

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Feels like his last year to me but I will back him to get back to some great game-busting form before he's done

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I made the mistake of questioning Chimp last year and suspecting he was heading downhill. He came out and led us to another Premiership.

So while I may think it again, I'll bite my tongue. Let's not forget his very much a family first man and he's young daughter had been in hospital while he was away and he hasn't seen her since.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I made the mistake of questioning Chimp last year and suspecting he was heading downhill. He came out and led us to another Premiership.

So while I may think it again, I'll bite my tongue. Let's not forget his very much a family first man and he's young daughter had been in hospital while he was away and he hasn't seen her since.
good point. Hope his daughter is ok.