Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Dont take this personally,

But everyone pensioning off our great Capt.

Can get *smile*.

2-3 more years in him. GAJ played the middle 200 games with 3 blokes sandwiching him every contest, and went till 36.

Cotchy will do 2022 as normal - in the guts, winning premierships; 2023 he'll move to a statesman role, maybe a wing or HFF; 2024 He'll do a Richo and almost win the Brownlow.

Correct mate. He's only 31, not 34.

A full Two years younger than Duckwood and same age (2 days apart) as Dangerfield (who no-one seems to want to retire) people even on here seem to forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
This won't be a popular view but that's never stopped me before.

Riewoldt as Captain would be a terrible choice, a backwards move. His biggest weakness has always been putting self before team and that is exactly what this would be.

Before everyone fires up, that's not a criticism as much as a reality about the personality types of a lot of gun players.

The choice should represent a way forward, not a gap year so a champion player on the way out can feel more fulfilled at the end of his career.

Great call, can't disagree.

A full Two years younger than Duckwood and same age (2 days apart) as Dangerfield (who no-one seems to want to retire) people even on here seem to forget.

It's madness to talk about Cotchin as an old man compared to Dangerduck.

Less head hits, too.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Calendar age is irrelevant in a hard running collision sport like Aussie rules. If the bodies cooked, it's cooked regardless of being 27y.o. or 37y.o.

Not suggesting the Cotch is cooked as yet n modern rehab, recovery n fitness systems are fairly premium these days. We had a fair bunch of players struggled to play out the season at their usual performance levels, hopefully they were just carrying a collective bunch of injury niggles compounded by our massive campaign over the last five seasons. Full off season break n a proper pre season preparation will soon show whether a few are cooked or not.

Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I'm in agreement about that, when he was kicked out of the leadership group he took the feedback about his individual behaviours and came back better.

My point is chasing the Captaincy now would be a return to the old days of me first.

I doubt he would chase the captaincy appointment.

He would appear to have cast aside self for selflessness several years ago.

Team first is his manifesto now and working to assist whomever is the 2022 captain while leading the forward movement will be his object in my opinion.

A Tiger Immortal is presently standing in the green room.

Let’s see if we can work together and ensure he and #9 each have four of a kind in their hands when they retire.

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm very comfortable with my assessment last year wasn't a great one for the Captain but as with any Champion you'd be mad to write him off so I won't be doing that. That said he is clearly in the twilight of his career as injuries mount on an inside player who's put his head in the hole for over a decade. Obviously we all want to Skip to finish on a high. Only time will tell how it pans out.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Champion
Jun 26, 2018
Cotchy has been proving everyone wrong his whole career. From wrong choice as Captain, to unworthy of winning the Brownlow, to his dinky sideway kicks.
Nothing new here.
He’s a proud man.
Write him off at your peril. You may like some bacon with that egg on your face.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
I love the optimism posters are showing with Cotch., in terms of staying a couple more years and playing a role forward.

You can argue all you want about whether he has the kicking ability anymore for that role, but one thing you cant argue is his footy smarts and strength at the contest.

What sets him apart from other greats of the game who want to continue playing though - Trent's cup is full. I doubt he'd have any regrets retiring right now.

He will do what he thinks is best for the club, and likely disappoint plenty of us in the process who just want to see him continue.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Imagine kids walking through the doors of punt rd and having the opportunity to learn and observe one of the greatest captains in AFL history.
I wouldnt rush pushing Cotchin out the door.
New kids should be given numbers 8 & 10.
Each side of Cotchins locker

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Write him off at your peril. You may like some bacon with that egg on your face.
I'll see your bacon, and raise you some baked beans, snags, vegemite toast butter side to the face and some muesli and yoghurt too. And some coco pops.

• Haha

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
My money's still on Dustin Fletcher out-competing the best u/8 in the land.

is this liek that philosophical question - who would you rather fight, a Dustin Fletcher sized 8yo or 5 8yo sized Dustin Fletchers?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
I'll see your bacon, and raise you some baked beans, snags, vegemite toast butter side to the face and some muesli and yoghurt too. And some coco pops.
I saw bacon and forgot the rest of the post.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
We’ve got two exceptional leaders in Cotch and Dusty. Neither needs the (c.) after their name.

Now is the perfect time to appoint a new official leader to carry us through another serious tilt at multiple flags. The standout choice for me is Jack Graham. Already has captaincy experience at under 18 level with SA, won two flags and is as tough as teak.

Same sort of pedigree, temperament and tenacity as Trent Cotchin. I’m sure he would get unanimous support and respect if chosen. Huge advantage he has is the club and team are now in so much better shape than back when Cotch got the gig.