Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wow. Never heard of David Cloke?
Hang your head in shame
Was he the traitor that walked out on us and went to the Filth, and was he the guy who didn't want his sons to play for the Mighty Tiges?

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Old bloke getting better as the year goes on.

Gathering steam as the year goes on. Rare.

Still a wrecking ball in the phone box that is the contest.

Reactions: 6 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Was a wonderful game by Cotch, watched the replay last night.

I am 100% convinced the great champion will Retire this year.

It will be fascinating to see how it will be announced. This next game is our last Home Game so in one way can make sense to let the fans know, but we have finals (fingers crossed) to play. Although most likely we would play interstate. And will he wait to hopefully see if Dusty can be on the ground with him. Can Dusty get on the park in 4 weeks?

Then there is the quiet, humble nature of Cotch and when to announce it. He is humble but the Club would want to also duly acknowledge him I think.
Interesting weeks to play out.

Without getting a Taranto or Hopper (unfor, I dont think we are in the box seat), it leaves a real hole in the midfield. So his retirement really hurts.

He is an incredible person and would want to retire with more in the tank I think. Like Ash Barty has. Gosh this hurts me I love Cotch.
I want to be wrong, hope I am wrong. I love watching him play, cant wait to see him again next week at the G

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I was there too, he was copping an early hiding in the ruck from J.Madden, so KB sent him to the goal square and Ty Esler rucked all day. Matty Knights was great that day, think he kicked 4.
I was there! Memory tells me it was 3rd 3 voter in a row.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Not sure why there is talk about Cotch playing on next year, and getting to 300.

Cotchin should play 5 more years and get to 400!

Reactions: 4 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015

It will be fascinating to see how it will be announced. This next game is our last Home Game so in one way can make sense to let the fans know, but we have finals (fingers crossed) to play. Although most likely we would play interstate. And will he wait to hopefully see if Dusty can be on the ground with him. Can Dusty get on the park in 4 weeks?

Then there is the quiet, humble nature of Cotch and when to announce it. He is humble but the Club would want to also duly acknowledge him I think.

Without getting a Taranto or Hopper (unfor, I dont think we are in the box seat), it leaves a real hole in the midfield. So his retirement really hurts.

He is an incredible person and would want to retire with more in the tank I think. Like Ash Barty has. Gosh this hurts me I love Cotch.
I want to be wrong, hope I am wrong. I love watching him play, cant wait to see him again next week at the G
I thought I'd read somewhere, this week, he wants to play on next year.

• Love
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

I thought he may be eyeing retirement too but I hope he is considering going on.
We're already losing a lot of experience in Lambert, Edwards (likely) & possibly Riewoldt.
he's still playing great footy.

Reactions: 1 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Selwood hasn’t played a game like cotch did on the weekend in 3 years…. Yet the media is quick to hang cotch out to dry. Selwood is a 350gamer but he isn’t fit to tie Trent Cotchin’s bootlaces in my opinion.

Reactions: 16 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

reckon you have worked yourself up for no good reason Bob, 100% he will go on next year

Reactions: 4 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
His past month of form has only been matched by that of D Rioli, S Bolton and D Prestia.

We may have found one here.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Great to see the many on here who had it as fait accompli The Chimp should/would finish up this year have changed tact and are now (rightly) wanting him to go on.

How well is the great man moving. Looking really strong through the core/hips.

Using it very well and with his usual kamikaze attack that no-one matches - You just know he is gearing up for a big September.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Feb 25, 2007

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from round 21 of the 2022 AFL season​

In a week Mick Malthouse put a line through his name, Tigers’ great Trent Cotchin responded with his best game of the season. He’s on track for 300 games, Mark Robinson writes.

Mick should retire more players​

Don’t ever tell us a) players don’t read the newspapers and b) they are not stung by criticism. Trent Cotchin is an iconic Tiger and for him to be told that he should retire by Mick Malthouse was a slap to the face that probably/maybe jolted the former skipper ahead of Saturday night. This line from Malthouse was most pointed: “He has slowed up considerably, and is easily frustrated and undisciplined.’’ Cotchin responded with his best game of the season, turning back the clock to gather 29 disposals. He was in the thick of everything against Port and proved, if he even had to, that season No.16 and 300 games will welcome him with open arms. The Tigers have to stagger their retirements and father time hasn’t got Cotchin just yet.

Ageing Tigers’ great Trent Cotchin turned it on against the Power. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Ageing Tigers’ great Trent Cotchin turned it on against the Power. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from round 21 of the 2022 AFL season​

In a week Mick Malthouse put a line through his name, Tigers’ great Trent Cotchin responded with his best game of the season. He’s on track for 300 games, Mark Robinson writes.

Don’t ever tell us a) players don’t read the newspapers and b) they are not stung by criticism. Trent Cotchin is an iconic Tiger and for him to be told that he should retire by Mick Malthouse was a slap to the face that probably/maybe jolted the former skipper ahead of Saturday night. This line from Malthouse was most pointed: “He has slowed up considerably, and is easily frustrated and undisciplined.’’ Cotchin responded with his best game of the season, turning back the clock to gather 29 disposals. He was in the thick of everything against Port and proved, if he even had to, that season No.16 and 300 games will welcome him with open arms. The Tigers have to stagger their retirements and father time hasn’t got Cotchin just yet.

Oh, so his good form of late is because the newspapers jolted him back into form?

Yeah, give me a break, the journos sure have a high opinion of their influence, totally unjustified too.

I just reckon he has likely got over a few niggles and found some form.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
The end can come quickly and whilst he is playing well now doesnt mean he will continue to do so next year. I would love for him to go on with the proviso that he might play a full year or do a couple of hamstrings and struggle to get another 8-10 games. He's not really keeping anyone of better skills out of the team at the moment and you are a long time retired so please play on Cotchy.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Ageing? Any need to use that word?

• Sad

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Was he the traitor that walked out on us and went to the Filth, and was he the guy who didn't want his sons to play for the Mighty Tiges?
Yeah that’s him. The bloke who came back because his great mate KB asked him to, even though we could only offer him nine 10ths of bugger all $ wise.

I have no issues with Cloke leaving as Richmond were shafting some players (Raines, Cloke) whilst giving others (Rioli, Taylor) the world.

Strange times at Tigerland back then. Took the club from a powerhouse to an outhouse and very nearly extinction.

Reactions: 1 users