Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Will be interested to see if he finds a new role, I can see him spending more time at half back.
As Dc55 mentioned he probably lacks the pace to be best suited there, but the idea probably has merit in June-Aug, when he can perhaps take it a bit easy reading himself for September.
A fit and fresh Trent Cotchin will still be a scary sight for opposition midfielders (&ruckmen) in 2023.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Maybe he moves into the Lambert grunt role at high half forward to let Bolton and Dustin do their thing.
Don't tbink he has the running capacity to play the Lambert role. He could play the Liam Baker role better than Liam Baker, though.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
With Prestia, Taranto and Hopper driving the midfield Trent will not know himself with very little attention paid to him. Run free Trent

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Don't tbink he has the running capacity to play the Lambert role. He could play the Liam Baker role better than Liam Baker, though.
Yes, it would be a big ask for a 38yo to run the hardest of anyone each and every week.
But no. No one but Liam Baker can play the Liam Baker role. (Cotch does like to smile after a big hit like Bakes tho!)

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, it would be a big ask for a 38yo to run the hardest of anyone each and every week.
But no. No one but Liam Baker can play the Liam Baker role. (Cotch does like to smile after a big hit like Bakes tho!)
Even at his advanced age of 46, Trent Cotchin could most definitely play the Liam Baker role.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Even at his advanced age of 46, Trent Cotchin could most definitely play the Liam Baker role.
(Ignoring the fact that Baker returned to his BP position late last year, and should probably stay there) as far as I can tell the 'Liam Baker' role is to run around being Liam Baker. Sure someone can impersonate him, but I don't see how anyone, even the greatest captain in the history of the AFL/VFL/VFA, can truly do that.

• Love

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
I just hope that when he pulls the pin he is celebrated like he should be.
Not many going around with his CV, not now and not ever.
A giant of the game.

Reactions: 9 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I just hope that when he pulls the pin he is celebrated like he should be.
Not many going around with his CV, not now and not ever.
A giant of the game.
Nahhhhhh..... He's not Joel Selwood. The only ones that will truly appreciate him are Tigers fans, to the rest especially the meedjia. He'll be just another good player who got lucky at the right time.

Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
A reliable source informs me that there is indeed a plan to have a look at Cotchin off half back during the preseason.

Might be a good one for @caesar to keep an eye on.
In my wildest dreams I cannot for the life of me see him playing off half back.
Doesn’t have the run and carry, nor the long range precision disposal. Then there’s the accountability of playing on a whispy hff.
I have my doubts that your info is accurate but will watch with a keen interest.
He certainly didn’t line up there during game simulations on Thursday nor Saturday

Reactions: 5 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
He certainly didn’t line up there during game simulations on Thursday nor Saturday

Are you sure that is correct? I heard he spent a bit of time there Thursday and I just saw this in the Herald Sun report from that training.

Hard nut Baker was another stand-out on Wednesday on a back flank, alongside former skipper Trent Cotchin at times.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Are you sure that is correct? I heard he spent a bit of time there Thursday and I just saw this in the Herald Sun report from that training.

Hard nut Baker was another stand-out on Wednesday on a back flank, alongside former skipper Trent Cotchin at times.
Sorry TBR…more chance of Yarrin playing off halfback for us.

I LOVE the skip but that’s and absolute death sentence for his pace playing off there. Never going to happen (in a real game).