Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Are you sure that is correct? I heard he spent a bit of time there Thursday and I just saw this in the Herald Sun report from that training.

Hard nut Baker was another stand-out on Wednesday on a back flank, alongside former skipper Trent Cotchin at times.
Cotch linee up in the square more often than not*

*from what i saw

Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
In my wildest dreams I cannot for the life of me see him playing off half back.
Doesn’t have the run and carry, nor the long range precision disposal. Then there’s the accountability of playing on a whispy hff.
I have my doubts that your info is accurate but will watch with a keen interest.
He certainly didn’t line up there during game simulations on Thursday nor Saturday

Nah - Couldn't disagree more.

Chimp would smash it if ever given the luxury of playing in the backline.

Imagine his elite clean hands mopping up every ground ball back there. Then add his elite reading of the play and dual sidedness (both hand and foot).

He'd cut the opposition apart with amazing his left/right/foot/hand disposal.

He'd average 30+ and be in AA discussion before anyone blinked. He'd be a Rich Mans Baker in every aspect.

Then switch him midfield for bursts when needed.

As for whispy HFF. They'd be too scared to breathe on the great man. One contest and tackle and they'd be sitting with us the stands for the next battle.

Been calling it for years. Now he finally has midfield cover it can happen. Do it Dimma!! It will give him another 10 years.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Luke Hodge is the model.
Its not speed its will and nouse.

Hodge towell up Zach skinnybean in the 2014 GF. Gave away 16 inches in height but won every ball that went there. Cotch doesnt get Charlie Cameron he gets a hipwood.
**caveat with the comparison Hodge better overhead

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Sorry TBR…more chance of Yarrin playing off halfback for us.

I LOVE the skip but that’s and absolute death sentence for his pace playing off there. Never going to happen (in a real game).

Didn't say I was endorsing BB, just reporting that it is on their radar to have a look at.

Although personally I think it would be a good move. I don't think pace is a huge factor.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Nah - Couldn't disagree more.

Chimp would smash it if ever given the luxury of playing in the backline.

Imagine his elite clean hands mopping up every ground ball back there. Then add his elite reading of the play and dual sidedness (both hand and foot).

He'd cut the opposition apart with amazing his left/right/foot/hand disposal.

He'd average 30+ and be in AA discussion before anyone blinked. He'd be a Rich Mans Baker in every aspect.

Then switch him midfield for bursts when needed.

As for whispy HFF. They'd be too scared to breathe on the great man. One contest and tackle and they'd be sitting with us the stands for the next battle.

Been calling it for years. Now he finally has midfield cover it can happen. Do it Dimma!! It will give him another 10 years.
Been calling it for years?
And yet it’s never happened. And probably never will.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Could work- surely a model would be Sam Docherty- except Cotchin is a way better player. he would be alongside Rioli, or Ralphsmith or someone whose job it was to run run run.
My only concern moving Trent to half back is that we already have Rioli, Baker, Ralphsmith, plus some younger kids, fighting for that spot Do we give priority to extending Cotchin's career, or to playing kids?

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Are you sure that is correct? I heard he spent a bit of time there Thursday and I just saw this in the Herald Sun report from that training.

Hard nut Baker was another stand-out on Wednesday on a back flank, alongside former skipper Trent Cotchin at times.
I read this as Baker playing at HB matched on Cotchin playing at HF

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I personally cat see the value of playing Cotchin at HB when we have players like Rioli , Baker , Pickett & Short
Cotchin is better suited to play mid/HF

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
In my wildest dreams I cannot for the life of me see him playing off half back.
Doesn’t have the run and carry, nor the long range precision disposal. Then there’s the accountability of playing on a whispy hff.
I have my doubts that your info is accurate but will watch with a keen interest.
He certainly didn’t line up there during game simulations on Thursday nor Saturday
Agree.
Got dragged into the backline in the 2020 GF a few times and was shown up.
Also unlikely to be effective in the forward line given his kicking issues.
Cotch is a burst back-up mid this year.

Reactions: 4 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Been calling it for years?
And yet it’s never happened. And probably never will.

Unfortunately we've never had the luxury of taking him away from leading the grunt work out of the middle.

We might be at a stage Dimma could do it now.

If Matthew Boyd can move back late in his career and be All Aus at 34 years of age. Chimp can.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Just signed a 8 year deal with an option of 1 more.
Greatest captain in the modern era of AFL alongside Voss and Trengrove

• Love

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Unfortunately we've never had the luxury of taking him away from leading the grunt work out of the middle.

We might be at a stage Dimma could do it now.

If Matthew Boyd can move back late in his career and be All Aus at 34 years of age. Chimp can.
One thing we both agree on is that the Chimp is the greatest captain in Richmond’s rich history and an unquestionable legend. A monument to the game. A statue must be erected at Punt Rd next to Jack Dyer.
But Mathew Boyd never used his body as a battering ram for his first dozen yrs and think Cotchin will be used sparingly this yr and will be rested for many of the longer interstate games and perhaps others if he’s feeling sore. You want stability and a settled backline and he won’t be providing that imho.
Then there’s the question of where would you play DRioli and Short?

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I read this as Baker playing at HB matched on Cotchin playing at HF

It's a poor sentence, it could be Cotchin at half-back with Baker, half forward on Baker or just that he was a stand-out at times in the game! :ROFLMAO:

I'm just guessing because someone tipped me off he had played there as they are keen to try it out in preseason.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
It's a poor sentence, it could be Cotchin at half-back with Baker, half forward on Baker or just that he was a stand-out at times in the game! :ROFLMAO:

I'm just guessing because someone tipped me off he had played there as they are keen to try it out in preseason.
Actually the three sessions I've been at it's noticeable that he is working hard (very hard) as a crumbing forward.