Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Actually the three sessions I've been at it's noticeable that he is working hard (very hard) as a crumbing forward.
He was in everything in today‘s match sim. Was looking like a younger version of himself.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
One thing we both agree on is that the Chimp is the greatest captain in Richmond’s rich history and an unquestionable legend. A monument to the game. A statue must be erected at Punt Rd next to Jack Dyer.
But Mathew Boyd never used his body as a battering ram for his first dozen yrs and think Cotchin will be used sparingly this yr and will be rested for many of the longer interstate games and perhaps others if he’s feeling sore. You want stability and a settled backline and he won’t be providing that imho.
Then there’s the question of where would you play DRioli and Short?

In reality it probably won't happen, but would still love to see it. He would displace Short no worries and there are always injuries.

Agree he (and Jack) will be rested for most interstate trips.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I’ll just leave this here

That wispy Half Forward Flanklin looks like he near killed the Cotchinator in that contest. Cotch be safer in the midfield tearing the likes of Mummy a new one.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
That wispy Half Forward Flanklin looks like he near killed the Cotchinator in that contest. Cotch be safer in the midfield tearing the likes of Mummy a new one.
Too brave for his own good.
That’s what you have test crash dummies like Castagna in your team for

• Haha
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Cotch does indeed look super fit this preseason which is great but am still not convinced yet on the forward experiment in spite of him lining up there in match simulations so far this season.
Have seen seen no evidence over his career years that he's a reliable set shot for goal or a noted goal kicker as a midfielder. Nor is he a great overhead mark.

Would it be as a ground ball pressure forward?
That has some merit due to his ballistic attack on the footy but it's going to be at the expense of the development of a younger player.
Not one to question the footy dept. as they have the runs on the board but the jury & Cotch is obviously a star but the jury is out on this one until I see the practice matches. Hope it works out obviously.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Cotch does indeed look super fit this preseason which is great but am still not convinced yet on the forward experiment in spite of him lining up there in match simulations so far this season.
Have seen seen no evidence over his career years that he's a reliable set shot for goal or a noted goal kicker as a midfielder. Nor is he a great overhead mark.

That has some merit due to his ballistic attack on the footy but it's going to be at the expense of the development of a younger player.
Not one to question the footy dept. as they have the runs on the board but the jury & Cotch is obviously a star but the jury is out on this one until I see the practice matches. Hope it works out obviously.
From memory, he has kicked 5 and 4 goals in a game at least once each as well as kicking 3 goals on more occasions than I care to count.

Since when is being a good set shot a pre-requisite for a forward? See Castagna, Daniher, King, Franklin and many, many more.

As for overhead marking, again I think you underestimate him. Amazing set of hands and would cause anxiety to any small or medium defender left one out in him. Even if he doesn’t mark it he’ll bring the ball to ground and that’s his natural habitat

The only really concern for a Cotchin up forward is his pace and mobility. Otherwise, he’s overqualified for the role.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
From memory, he has kicked 5 and 4 goals in a game at least once each as well as kicking 3 goals on more occasions than I care to count.

Since when is being a good set shot a pre-requisite for a forward? See Castagna, Daniher, King, Franklin and many, many more.

As for overhead marking, again I think you underestimate him. Amazing set of hands and would cause anxiety to any small or medium defender left one out in him. Even if he doesn’t mark it he’ll bring the ball to ground and that’s his natural habitat

The only really concern for a Cotchin up forward is his pace and mobility. Otherwise, he’s overqualified for the role.
All valid points. I'm a wait & see regardless.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Tend to agree Oldie.... Cotch's set shots are a real worry, I wouldn't be putting my house on any set shot. I guess it comes down to where does he add the most value - if the coaches feel he's better up forward at this stage then it's worth a shot.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

It's an interesting move.

As have mentioned many times, if they are wanting to give his body a rest from being the fulltime midfield battering ram (good) think a move back would have suited him and the team better. Big upgrade on Short back there and to a lesser extent Bakes.

His attack on the ball, super clean ground game and creative kicking will be an asset up there but this will be a tough role to move to. They may be wanting him to play that Lambert role half forward pushing into the midfield. He's probably the best on our list to do it in 2023 so long as he still has the aerobic capacity to do it.

Either way be surprised if he plays full time forward. More switching between mid/forward/bench.

Everyone knows the love of the great man Leysy has and if anyone can do it Chimp can.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I never thought of the Lambert role, that's what he is playing for sure. And makes perfect sense.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Several years ago Chimp copped some media heat for not kicking enough goals. So he went out and kicked 5 before half-time against St Kilda as if to say, I can kick goals if I want to.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I never thought of the Lambert role, that's what he is playing for sure. And makes perfect sense.
Significant endurance running needed.
I'd rather see burst Chimpa.

Between Duz Chimp and Shai we have a crazy-elite special teams to switch onball or forward

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
It looks like we will be rotating players through the midfield, forward and IC, we know he can play midfield so let him learn the forward craft at training and in match sim, makes sense.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Suspect he'll play a reduced number of games but when he does play, he can slot in where we need him. Forward when we're doing well. If we're losing the centre clearances, he can pop in there to swing the game around with a single aggressive play at a centre bounce, as is his trademark.

The most underrated triple Premiership Captain in the history of the game I reckon. But without Chimp, not sure we'd be where we are now.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Tend to agree Oldie.... Cotch's set shots are a real worry, I wouldn't be putting my house on any set shot. I guess it comes down to where does he add the most value - if the coaches feel he's better up forward at this stage then it's worth a shot.
Also agree. For as great as the Champion Chimp is, set shot kicking hasn’t been his greatest strength that’s for sure. Struggles from beyond 40m and not all that accurate either.

All hail The Chimp.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
His attack on the ball, super clean ground game and creative kicking will be an asset up there but this will be a tough role to move to. They may be wanting him to play that Lambert role half forward pushing into the midfield. He's probably the best on our list to do it in 2023 so long as he still has the aerobic capacity to do it.
I doubt he willplay the high end to end running game Lambert did, but you are right about his skills. I reckon it gets forgotten by many just how talented and skilled a young Trent Cotchin was, and I assume an old Trent Cotchin still is, due to ways he has changed his game to suit team needs. As long as he is fit I dont see any reason to doubt Cotchin can play any role he wants to.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Kane Cornes said yesterday he is not sure if Cotchin is in our best 22 out of the midfield.

Has anyone else had that thought? Must admit I find it is hard to fit him into our best 22, he ends up on the bench in a 'don't really know where to put him' spot.

If he is going forward I hope it works, otherwise it might get awkward if he battles a bit.