Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Made captain on this day back in 2012 apparently.
What an inspired choice he was as skipper in our club's resurrection back to greatness.
Remember the controversy at the time when he wanted to keep the number 9 as opposed to the gimmicky number 17 (Dyer) because he wanted to forge his own history at the club?
I'd say he's done just that..:cool:
Giving the Chimp the captaincy certainly was an inspired choice, has only made one mistake since then.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I was one who felt it was too early and thought I was proven correct early on. In hindsight perhaps it was the mistakes he made in early years that helped him become the leader he has become. He hasn't kicked against the wind again in a final since anyway. ;)
Also history says I was wrong as he is a 3 time Premiership skipper
*smile* me no end that Cotchin cops the blame for the coin toss thing. Anyone who thinks that decision was made in isolation is kidding themselves. Senior players at least, and probably one or two coaches, would’ve discussed which way to kick should he win the toss. Staining Cotch’s captaincy record with that brush is ludicrous and unfair.

Reactions: 4 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I was one who felt it was too early and thought I was proven correct early on. In hindsight perhaps it was the mistakes he made in early years that helped him become the leader he has become. He hasn't kicked against the wind again in a final since anyway. ;)

I was also in that category, Sin.
As a now mighty leader I just enjoy the way he goes about setting the tone around the Club.
Long may Cotch reign as Captain Crunch.

Last edited:

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
*smile* me no end that Cotchin cops the blame for the coin toss thing. Anyone who thinks that decision was made in isolation is kidding themselves. Senior players at least, and probably one or two coaches, would’ve discussed which way to kick should he win the toss. Staining Cotch’s captaincy record with that brush is ludicrous and unfair.
No stain Midsy, its a one off call. If we had of won by a point it was brilliance. We didn't play well and that's all it was. The breeze would not have saved us anyway.

Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Was Mark Williams an assistant coach with us at the time???

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
No stain Midsy, its a one off call. If we had of won by a point it was brilliance. We didn't play well and that's all it was. The breeze would not have saved us anyway.
Exactly.
Port were simply brilliant that day.
I had them winning the flag that year after what they did to us in that game.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He was skipper so it was his responsibility but the reality is that it wouldn’t have mattered because the team was cooked

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Made captain on this day back in 2012 apparently.
What an inspired choice he was as skipper in our club's resurrection back to greatness.
Remember the controversy at the time when he wanted to keep the number 9 as opposed to the gimmicky number 17 (Dyer) because he wanted to forge his own history at the club?
I'd say he's done just that..:cool:

Never understood the business with number 17 and the captain.

Back when I was a kid Collingwood used to have their Captain in number 1, but we didn't have any specific number.

Royce was number 4.

Monteath number 11 from memory.

Swift was 15

Dean was number 3

There's our premiership captains from my lifetime (apart from Cotchin number 9) and not a 17 amongst them.

I get the impression that equating number 17 with Richmond's captain is a media fiction.

DS

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

The decision to be interviewed the day after while dressed as a Kiss member was a bigger mistake.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013

I was most definitely in the Capt Cotchin camp and felt pretty much vindicated immediately when it was obvious Lids was displeased.

A good leader of men doesnt get p!ssed off bc he wasnt selected, unless your trump haha

Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
In Hindsight the decision by Cotchin is just one of a 1,000+ decisions, right or wrong, that were made by Richmond people over many years that has led to this glorious "Dimmasty" period. And with potential more success to come.

After that game Hardwick has said the club needed to do things differently. That loss triggered a change in recruitment and a change in how we played. Also Hardwick changed how he coached.

And look at us now :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold

• Love

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I was most definitely in the Capt Cotchin camp and felt pretty much vindicated immediately when it was obvious Lids was displeased.

A good leader of men doesnt get p!ssed off bc he wasnt selected, unless your trump haha

Same, I thought Lids was transparently unhappy about the decision, which reinforced it was the right one.

Trent has always been pure class as a person. Newman was a great cultural captain, and Trent carried that on.

He also happened to be our best player at the time, which was a bonus.

And then the ultimate bonus was becoming a Michael Voss-like hardnut captain as well. I didn’t see that coming with Trent’s appointment.

But on top of all that, by embracing his imperfections... he became the perfect captain.
(With the perfect hair)

Last edited:
  • Love

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Never understood the business with number 17 and the captain.

Back when I was a kid Collingwood used to have their Captain in number 1, but we didn't have any specific number.

Royce was number 4.

Monteath number 11 from memory.

Swift was 15

Dean was number 3

There's our premiership captains from my lifetime (apart from Cotchin number 9) and not a 17 amongst them.

I get the impression that equating number 17 with Richmond's captain is a media fiction.

DS
It was a decision made by the club administration of the time. Kane Johnson was the captain when the decision was made and changed from 28 to 17. Then Newman changed from 1.

The club claimed that it was to honour Jack Dyer and it was also worn by Maurice Rioli; I recall Barry Richardson was captain with that number. I'm sure it was genuine by the club but at the time I thought it felt a bit contrived. The club was at a very low ebb and it seemed a grab for relevance. It never really resonated with me and I didn't have an issue with Cotch keeping the 9.

Reactions: 5 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
It was a decision made by the club administration of the time. Kane Johnson was the captain when the decision was made and changed from 28 to 17. Then Newman changed from 1.

The club claimed that it was to honour Jack Dyer and it was also worn by Maurice Rioli; I recall Barry Richardson was captain with that number. I'm sure it was genuine by the club but at the time I thought it felt a bit contrived. The club was at a very low ebb and it seemed a grab for relevance. It never really resonated with me and I didn't have an issue with Cotch keeping the 9.

I was very pleased when Trent said he was sticking with 9 and euthanised that contrived PR nonsense. Make your own history which he did. Upon reflection given his age at the time it showed intestinal fortitude. Could've been easy to roll over.

Reactions: 8 users