Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yep, we chewed through captains and coaches for a few decades there. Wonderful what stability can do.

DS
4 coaches in 22 seasons. Frawley, Wallace (Rawlings) and Dimma. But the numpties will still trot out the “they eat their own at Tigerland “.

North Melbourne have had 3 coaches in 15 months.

Reactions: 6 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
And then the ultimate bonus was becoming a Michael Voss-like hardnut captain as well. I didn’t see that coming with Trent’s appointment.
Sippa Chimps Savagery in the Finals has been amazing, shying away from the pretty stuff and bashing and crashing and leasding the boys by example.

His below par health along with that of Dusty, Lambo and Dave into that Prelim cost us the 2018 flag.

Had we won it we may not have gone on with such vengeance in 2019 so we can thank Collingwood for providing the impetus for the boys to go up a gear and claim the crown in 19 and 20. In a way that loss has helped propel the side to a higher level.

How amazing it would be to see Skippa Chimp and Dimma hold the Cup aloft one more time, but this time back at the MCG in front of the Army.

Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Cotch got murdered on here by a lot for sticking with the 9.
i always found the captain 17 thing a bit off. Numbers are personal to players, they make their own history.

22 Rowlings 8 Roach 29 Bartlett 3 Weightman

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
i always found the captain 17 thing a bit off. Numbers are personal to players, they make their own history.

22 Rowlings 8 Roach 29 Bartlett 3 Weightman
Yep numbers are personal to players.

Some dont understand it, but nearly everyone who has played footy at any level has had a Number that they like to wear.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
It was a decision made by the club administration of the time. Kane Johnson was the captain when the decision was made and changed from 28 to 17. Then Newman changed from 1.

The club claimed that it was to honour Jack Dyer and it was also worn by Maurice Rioli; I recall Barry Richardson was captain with that number. I'm sure it was genuine by the club but at the time I thought it felt a bit contrived. The club was at a very low ebb and it seemed a grab for relevance. It never really resonated with me and I didn't have an issue with Cotch keeping the 9.
I thought it was started by a Caroline Wilson article about how giving Paul Hudson 17 disrespected a number that had been worn with distinction by the likes of Dyer, Rioli, Richardson and Broderick. It was then they made the decision to give it to the captain if the time.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I thought it was started by a Caroline Wilson article about how giving Paul Hudson 17 disrespected a number that had been worn with distinction by the likes of Dyer, Rioli, Richardson and Broderick. It was then they made the decision to give it to the captain if the time.

bloody caro's fault again

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Cotch got murdered on here by a lot for sticking with the 9.
Did he? I thought the consensus on here was that wearing the 17 was a stupid gimmick and we widely applauded someone with the sense to abandon it.

Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I can see Jack Ross being the rotational player to fill in Cotch for his "awareness" spells next season. I hope so, win/win for both parties and a long term succession plan for the club

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I didn't like it at the time, felt like a very individual act given that was the club policy at the time.

All water under the bridge now but my feeling is today's Cotchin would probably give his younger self to not do it.
Complete opposite, Cotch would tell his younger self to be more authentic earlier on.

The number 9 is creating a legacy that wouldn’t be the same if he was in 17.

Reactions: 9 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Cotch strikes me as the type of player who will retire after he captains the team to his first, second, third, fourth premiership.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I didn't like it at the time, felt like a very individual act given that was the club policy at the time.

All water under the bridge now but my feeling is today's Cotchin would probably give his younger self to not do it.
I was bit the same BR.

The saying goes ‘but all's well that ends well.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Reckon he’ll get out of football once he retires.
Think the same.
Especially after what happen with Brooke and the rumour circulating at the time that he contemplated leaving the hub with the family.. I think once it’s over it will be over for Cotch.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I have a framed photo of Cotch on my office wall. A few weeks ago I was on the phone to one of my daughter's when my 14mth old Granddaughter walked up & wanted to be picked up. I duly sat her on my knee, she then looked at the Cotch photo & said " Tiger Tiger" & I thought, yep he sure is.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I have a framed photo of Cotch on my office wall. A few weeks ago I was on the phone to one of my daughter's when my 14mth old Granddaughter walked up & wanted to be picked up. I duly sat her on my knee, she then looked at the Cotch photo & said " Tiger Tiger" & I thought, yep he sure is.
Beautiful TT.
Got to get them while they are young.
Cant risk them to fall into the laps of the Pies, Blues or Essendon side.

Last edited: