Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
You never know but it is not always the best footballers and captains who make it big in the coach stakes. In recent memory just look at Buckley. As much as I hate to say it a great footballer and captain but......
Buckley was a great footballer.
Never rated him as a good captain. Too much of “look at me” to be a decent leader. Not much better as a coach.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Buckley was a great footballer.
Never rated him as a good captain. Too much of “look at me” to be a decent leader. Not much better as a coach.
I used to work with Stephen Williams’ wife. She said that she was aware that all football players needed a degree of self confidence to succeed, but there was such a thing as taking it too far, and iho, Buckley did. That was her very polite way of saying that he was so far up himself that it was off the charts.

Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Cotch strikes me as the type of player who will retire after he captains the team to his first, second, third, fourth premiership.
September 2021 would mean an early retirement, wouldn't you think?

I say keep on keeping on.

What's the definition of a full hand in premiership parlance? Or perhaps a royal routine?

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Cotch got murdered on here by a lot for sticking with the 9.

in retrospect, Wallet never had any right to impose his marketing views on the club.

17 was never the captains number in our history, reaks of arrogance for Wallet to try and leave a legacy when he achieved donuts.

Was great strength for a young Cotch to choose his own path on this issue, would not have been easy.

It was a signal for things to come .......

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
in retrospect, Wallet never had any right to impose his marketing views on the club.

17 was never the captains number in our history, reaks of arrogance for Wallet to try and leave a legacy when he achieved donuts.

Was great strength for a young Cotch to choose his own path on this issue, would not have been easy.

It was a signal for things to come .......

Wallace got us Cotchin and Martin.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Wallace got us Cotchin and Martin.
I think Brett Ratten had a fair bit to do wth getting us Cotchin, and Wallet can’t claim any credit for Martin. He’d walked by that point. Jade Rawlings coached the game and Jordan McMahon sealed the deal for us. Mind you, I don’t think it mattered what pick we had that year, we were always picking Dusty.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I still remember Chimp’s U18 highlights reel. Looked like such a low key, classy Brownlow medallist in waiting.

It was at a time when Richmond fans kind of had a messiah complex. Trent never fed into that, and compared to our other hopeful elite draft picks at the time like Deledio, he just came across very differently in his interviews. I didn’t pay enough attention to it at the time, but in hindsight Trent’s quality of character was always evident to those who knew what they were looking for. I’m sure there’s plenty of posters on here who saw it.

His highlights reel (which used to be on PRE until the AFL put an end to that) showed him as smooth, smart, head over the ball, putting teammates into space from congestion, drawing the opponent when handballing (which was a foreign concept to Richmond teams at the time), etc.

There was an abundance of class and confidence without the personal ego we grew accustomed to with the usual draft hopefuls.

Sometime in the future, another player will come to Richmond with similar traits. When they do, he’s not going to wear the #9 out of club tradition, but he probably will receive some form of mentorship from Trent in some capacity. Hopefully the wait isn’t as long as it was for Trent’s class of mentors.

Annnd yes, it’s a few years too soon to be looking that far ahead :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold..... :cupgold

• Love

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I still remember Chimp’s U18 highlights reel. Looked like such a low key, classy Brownlow medallist in waiting.

It was at a time when Richmond fans kind of had a messiah complex. Trent never fed into that, and compared to our other hopeful elite draft picks at the time like Deledio, he just came across very differently in his interviews. I didn’t pay enough attention to it at the time, but in hindsight Trent’s quality of character was always evident to those who knew what they were looking for. I’m sure there’s plenty of posters on here who saw it.

His highlights reel (which used to be on PRE until the AFL put an end to that) showed him as smooth, smart, head over the ball, putting teammates into space from congestion, drawing the opponent when handballing (which was a foreign concept to Richmond teams at the time), etc.

There was an abundance of class and confidence without the personal ego we grew accustomed to with the usual draft hopefuls.

Sometime in the future, another player will come to Richmond with similar traits. When they do, he’s not going to wear the #9 out of club tradition, but he probably will receive some form of mentorship from Trent in some capacity. Hopefully the wait isn’t as long as it was for Trent’s class of mentors.

Annnd yes, it’s a few years too soon to be looking that far ahead :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold..... :cupgold

Good stuff, Kid
Captain Crunch, the Brownlow Medalist, and THREE-TIME PREMIERSHIP CAPTAIN.
That's all I've got to add.

• Love
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Cotch strikes me as the type of player who will retire after he captains the team to his first, second, third, fourth premiership.
I reckon if we won a premiership in the next three years I'd pretty much be done.''

Given we won one in 4 years he didn't lie..:mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Fourth premiership and then hand over to the next captain, but stay for a year or two to support him. And win 2 more flags

• Love

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I like the history and traditions, even if they start contrived.
So I liked the Captain wears 17 theme.
Much happier to have a happy Cotch with 3 :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have a framed photo of Cotch on my office wall. A few weeks ago I was on the phone to one of my daughter's when my 14mth old Granddaughter walked up & wanted to be picked up. I duly sat her on my knee, she then looked at the Cotch photo & said " Tiger Tiger" & I thought, yep he sure is.
It’s a good time to capture the youngsters before the other side of their family gets the claws in TT.
I have been working hard on it as well

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Feels like yesterday that the Skip was drafted , what a career it has been . Though Dusty may get all the big game accolades , th3 skips not far behind in impact in the games that matter.

just about my most prized possession is the first T Cotchin signature as a Tiger

Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Was rather prophetic that his first kick was also a goal. Admittedly we lost the game, but weirdly enough it was against the Cats.

Reactions: 4 users