Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Cotchin has been slowing over a period of time. He may very well be playing injured, but that underlines my point.
How often is he getting injured?
He has smashed, crashed and battered bigger bodies for years, with a crazed intent at times. That will take its toll. Ablett started out as a forward, and ended playing just midfield bursts.

Point taken.

I still reckon he has a couple more seasons as the cameo playing old champ.

look at Hodge. he played like a psycho for years, then held his own on Dusty, at 36

also bear in mind, that Shocking will be on the blower to Scott and they'll probably change the rules 4 minutes before the opening bounce in 2022,

and you'll be able to nominate one veteran each week, who no-one is allowed to tackle,

or something like that

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Point taken.

I still reckon he has a couple more seasons as the cameo playing old champ.

look at Hodge. he played like a psycho for years, then held his own on Dusty, at 36
Correct.
Dusty only kicked 6 that day

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mj72

Tiger Rookie
Jun 21, 2004
punt road
Perhaps this is not the right thread discussion for this but in hindsight:
last years shorter quarters might have helped us (at the time I definitely thought otherwise)...we cant do pressure anymore, we cant run over the top, getting old
2020 was a steal, perfectly timed with our gameplan matching the list but now its done.
And I love them for it. I'm a 72 born kid, I dont really remember 80...just *smile* from then on....I dont think we will do that again, hope not

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Will be 32 at the beginning of next season, he deserves to make his own decision, but I'd hate for him to go on for a season too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Will be 32 at the beginning of next season, he deserves to make his own decision, but I'd hate for him to go on for a season too long.
No one deserves to make their own decision. Unless he is carrying an injury we don’t know about the club has to make the call

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Im quite astonished at this Cotchys finished narrative.

astonished.

17 games ago, Danger took Vlastuin, and so Cotchy took Ablett,

possibly the most important act in our 2020 premiership.

this, after leading the club to the most difficult premiership in history

and 17 games later, Hes played a couple of ordinary games, and the knives come out.

extraordinary.

fair weather friends are the loneliest friends.

Our captains time will come, but its not now.

no way get *smile* *smile* off.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Im quite astonished at this Cotchys finished narrative.

astonished.

17 games ago, Danger took Vlastuin, and so Cotchy took Ablett,

possibly the most important act in our 2020 premiership.

this, after leading the club to the most difficult premiership in history

and 17 games later, Hes played a couple of ordinary games, and the knives come out.

extraordinary.

fair weather friends are the loneliest friends.

Our captains time will come, but its not now.

no way get *smile* *smile* off.

• Love
  • Haha
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Reckon the plethora of rule changes have done him no favours.
First was the sliding rule introduced 5 years ago.
I remember Cotch used to throw himself at the footy where others would fear to tread. Still does & occasionally gets pinged for what is surely one of the worst rules ever introduced.
Then this year SHocking introduces the 'Stand' rule. Where Trent was an absolute master at manning the mark to slow down play & allow us to set up structures as well as cutting off the 45 degree inboard kick.
Then there's an attack on contested ball winners & not rewarding the tackler. Both of which Cotch has excelled in during his career.
The game's shifted, sped up & softened out. Hard nuts like Cotch are under threat with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
No one deserves to make their own decision. Unless he is carrying an injury we don’t know about the club has to make the call
Until our recent successes I would have agreed with you. Trent was a major factor in the change of culture at the club. I'm of the firm belief that without that change of culture we don't win the 3 premierships. For that reason I reckon he can make his own decision.

Having said that, I reckon that he'll do what's right for the club and not him.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
It sounds like the opposite to what Balme is saying here:
“We are not suggesting that he should [retire], but everything is judged on its own at the end of the season.

“He will sit down at the end of the year and work out what he wants to do but we are keen for him to go on. We love what he is like around the place. He is almost a bit like Jack [Riewoldt] - an extra coach in a way to help out players, to point them in the right direction.”

The bootstudder is great around the place too. And we need 22 players, not 20 + two onfield coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Its worth considering that Selwood and Boak were both over the hill and deadducks before coming back the next season to recover form and fitness.
I hope it's an injury related concern but it just doesn't look good.

• Wow

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
If RFC want Cotchin to play on next season then you would like to think they know what they're doing.
That said, the skipper is his own man and will make the decision that is right for him, his family and the Club.
He'll always be Captain Crunch to me

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Everyone wants to Chimp to be playing injured at the moment, that will explain things nicely. Let him recover and come back next year where he lifts his 4th flag. That's what we want for him.

On the other hand what some of us don't want to for him is to end his career a shadow of his former self. The warrior legend that he is deserves to go out with his reputation intact, they way we remember him.

But in reality none of us know what's going on with Chimp physically and emotionally. His wife has certainly had a rough time of it over the last couple of years/ He's played the game in a way where his body can just give up quite quickly. Chimp, his wife and Dimma will ultimately decide what he does. As a someone eternally grateful for the way he lead us to the promised land, I hope he makes the right decision, whatever that is.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He's not the only one that looks tired. With all the fatigue and injuries that we've seen this year perhaps our preseason and training loads have been off.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Too much being asked in the absence of Prestia/Lambert/Edwards. If we get the team back together I can see him continuing. But he's not able to play 1 or 2 mid anymore.
I reckon this is a big part of his troubles. Yes he has slowed down, but Cotch hasnt been a high ball winning mid for a few years. He has attacked the ball, and the man with ferocity, and showed some magic, but he hasnt had to be our No1. I dont think he can anymore.
But give him Prestia, ShEdwards and Lambert running next to him and we will see a version of Cotch a lot closer to what we love.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Hard to read too much into Balmey's comments, but the door would seem open for an early retirement at the end of this year.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I reckon this is a big part of his troubles. Yes he has slowed down, but Cotch hasnt been a high ball winning mid for a few years. He has attacked the ball, and the man with ferocity, and showed some magic, but he hasnt had to be our No1. I dont think he can anymore.
But give him Prestia, ShEdwards and Lambert running next to him and we will see a version of Cotch a lot closer to what we love.
It's OK if Cotchin's not getting the ball himself, but he wasn't smashing into the contest with any vigour on Sunday. Don't think he's physically right, but feels he needs to be there for the team in the absence of so many important players.