Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I've seen him stalk into position a few times recently. At CBs. At the contest. Hits turbo. One step and then no zing.

There was talk of a 12 game contract for him for next year. I like that.

Interesting that Balme pretty much says that Trent can do more but that we'd like more from Dusty. Heh heh.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Selwood signed on for 2022.

he's 2 years older than our Capt. , has played the same role for longer, and isn't as good.

Reactions: 2 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
I think if Cotch is to go on next year, then he should relinquish the captaincy so he can concentrate on getting his body right. It'll take a while to get used to him not leading the team out, but he would be a great consultant to whoever is to take the skippers mantle.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I think if Cotch is to go on next year, then he should relinquish the captaincy so he can concentrate on getting his body right. It'll take a while to get used to him not leading the team out, but he would be a great consultant to whoever is to take the skippers mantle.
Regardless if he stays or goes.
We need him involved in the club.
I can see it as a huge benefit to kids coming in that Cotchin can teach them the Real Richmond way.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Alright, about time Leysy came back knockin into the great man's thread.

Is he playing well - No.
is he closer to the end than the start - Yes.
Does that mean he is finished though - Hell No.

Chimper is like most of our team ATM, they all look like they are pulling 100Kg of led behind them.

Who has improved or even held ground on last year - Perhaps Broady and Nank. That's it.

Who have dropped off including in most cases having that led behind them. Leysy would argue:

Dusty, Shedda, Vlastuin, Grimes, Chimp, Jack, George, Astbury, Aarts, Short, Rioli, Tom, Noah, Caddy, kamdyn, Graham. Likely more.

Why so many?

Leysy thinks we underestimate the effort it takes to stay at the top, then to compound that the herculean mental and physical effort last year took on us to climb the mountain last year - The Hard Way.

It was held at the end of October don't forget. Shortest break in history.

We just need a long mental and physical break. Said to the PRE faithful on Sunday we are better off missing finals this year. Even the min extra two weeks mental break will be beneficial.

Everyone go away and freshen for the first time in years, get rid of the niggles and setup for a good big pre-season and come back fit and firing.

Which brings Leysy back to Chimper. is he cooked, it's possible. But the facts:

- He's just turned 31, not 33. Players are playing longer now then ever.

- The evidence of nearly all his teammates also physically falling away this year.

- And importantly Balmy saying - “He has been a bit sore" and Gale "We would like to manage him ideally but we simply can’t,”
That Balmy code for he's playing pretty badly injured.

Like plenty of times in the past (2016 captaincy anyone???) again write off arguably the most important Tiger of the past 30 years off at your peril.

Leysy aint.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Alright, about time Leysy came back knockin into the great man's thread.

Is he playing well - No.
is he closer to the end than the start - Yes.
Does that mean he is finished though - Hell No.

Chimper is like most of our team ATM, they all look like they are pulling 100Kg of led behind them.

Who has improved or even held ground on last year - Perhaps Broady and Nank. That's it.

Who have dropped off including in most cases having that led behind them. Leysy would argue:

Dusty, Shedda, Vlastuin, Grimes, Chimp, Jack, George, Astbury, Aarts, Short, Rioli, Tom, Noah, Caddy, kamdyn, Graham. Likely more.

Why so many?

Leysy thinks we underestimate the effort it takes to stay at the top, then to compound that the herculean mental and physical effort last year took on us to climb the mountain last year - The Hard Way.

It was held at the end of October don't forget. Shortest break in history.

We just need a long mental and physical break. Said to the PRE faithful on Sunday we are better off missing finals this year. Even the min extra two weeks mental break will be beneficial.

Everyone go away and freshen for the first time in years, get rid of the niggles and setup for a good big pre-season and come back fit and firing.

Which brings Leysy back to Chimper. is he cooked, it's possible. But the facts:

- He's just turned 31, not 33. Players are playing longer now then ever.

- The evidence of nearly all his teammates also physically falling away this year.

- And importantly Balmy saying - “He has been a bit sore" and Gale "We would like to manage him ideally but we simply can’t,”
That Balmy code for he's playing pretty badly injured.

Like plenty of times in the past (2016 captaincy anyone???) again write off arguably the most important Tiger of the past 30 years off at your peril.

Leysy aint.
Fair enough.

IMO Grimes has held ground.

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
It's OK if Cotchin's not getting the ball himself, but he wasn't smashing into the contest with any vigour on Sunday. Don't think he's physically right, but feels he needs to be there for the team in the absence of so many important players.
That's what Balme implied. Both Dusty and him are playing injured. I would rather play kids and let them recover to be the players we know. I hate watching them play poorly knowing they are injured. It's a great opportunity. Wish the MC backed up the words with actions. If you increase peoples responsibility some people actually thrive. I reckon Dow could be one that would be more than serviceable if he was part of the midfield rotation right now. He's a smart footballer and couldn't be much worse than poor old Cotch playing injured.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
That's what Balme implied. Both Dusty and him are playing injured. I would rather play kids and let them recover to be the players we know. I hate watching them play poorly knowing they are injured. It's a great opportunity. Wish the MC backed up the words with actions. If you increase peoples responsibility some people actually thrive. I reckon Dow could be one that would be more than serviceable if he was part of the midfield rotation right now. He's a smart footballer and couldn't be much worse than poor old Cotch playing injured.

Was talking to a non-PREnder Tiger last night who was pushing the case for resting Cotchy for the rest of the season and playing Jack Ross in that role.
The idea is to give Ross the certainty of playing six games and just seeing whether he’s up to it and worth keeping on the list next year. Basically his career would be on the line.

Those first few of games of his in 2019 showed something that he’s never really shown since - so maybe this is way to see if he might get there again

Anyway - food for thought

Reactions: 6 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Kane should wash his mouth out with Lysol.

When a guy is battling, what is the motive behind repeatedly pointing it out and questioning his future?

There's such a large discrepancy between when the media portray players as "superstars" who barely achieved nothing and when they proclaim players as ready for the abattoir. This shitty pile-on is nothing more than vultures looking for the next carcass to pick the meat off.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Moved a lot better tonight. Along with Jack, led from the front. He looked cooked the previous few weeks, hopefully he's turned a corner. So important.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
The skipper needs short sharp bursts in the middle. Set the tone. His body right now can’t handle the continuous centre bounces.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The Skip looks like he can only cruise around in 3rd , it’s just that his that bloody good he can still impact , biggest worry for me is when he has to go up a notch the body just can’t do it now.

im happy for the Skip to go on if that’s what he wants and I’m more then happy for him to bow out at the end of the season , I’d hate to see him playing his final season from the sidelines

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
20 odd disposals against a very good midfield is not a bad game.

Like 20 of his team mates, put nank in the middle and they all walk taller.

• Love

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Certainly had more impact last night, but a couple of years ago that would have been a below par game for the skipper.