Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Cotch was always gonna play next season - but I reckon his decision (to quit as skipper) might just add least one extra year to his career.

With the freedom to be able to concentrate fully on his fitness and getting the footy - there‘s a prospect of him playing some real vintage Cotchin footy next year and being ripe to play on after that.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
A legend. Does not get the accolades that he deserves from the broader footy community, particularly the media, which shows you just how *smile* stupid they are. They all rave about Selwood as a great captain but never mention Cotchin in the same breath. WTF has Selwood done as a captain?? How many flags has he lead his team to?? Did he lead his team from the depths of an abyss to 3 flags in 4 years?? What *smile* joke.

Cotchin is miles ahead of the likes of Selwood and Pendlebury as a captain. What he has done as a captain for the RFC will never be forgotten. Thanks for everything Chimp and hopefully we can see you be a really strong contributor in a Richmond resurgence next year and for a year or two after that and get you into our 300 club.

• Love
Reactions: 30 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Greatest RFC Captain of the modern era by some margin. Arguably the best AFL Captain.

Forever etched in my mind when thinking of the three Premierships. Lifting up those cups on stage with Dimma, pure raw elation.

Needs something significant named after him at Punt Rd.

But his greatest achievement is that hair.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A legend. Does not get the accolades that he deserves from the broader footy community, particularly the media, which shows you just how *smile* stupid they are. They all rave about Selwood as a great captain but never mention Cotchin in the same breath. WTF has Selwood done as a captain?? How many flags has he lead his team to?? Did he lead his team from the depths of an abyss to 3 flags in 4 years?? What *smile* joke.

Cotchin is miles ahead of the likes of Selwood and Pendlebury as a captain. What he has done as a captain for the RFC will never be forgotten. Thanks for everything Chimp and hopefully we can see you be a really strong contributor in a Richmond resurgence next year and for a year or two after that and get you into our 300 club.

This . . . x 100.

Cotch took over when we were just starting to dig ourselves out of decades of mediocrity. He leaves the role of captain, and not only is Richmond no longer mediocre, it is a leading club which has scaled the heights of 3 premierships.

His record towers over those who are often lauded, but I don't care and I suspect the club doesn't care because we can see Cotchin's record and it speaks for itself.

History will accord Cotchin way more plaudits than he gets now, and he will be more esteemed than most of his contemporaries.

DS

Reactions: 10 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
iu

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm pretty sure that going into the 2017 GF, Trent was tied with Dusty or just behind him in Gary Ayres Medal votes. Adelaide tagged Trent and he still played pretty well.

His performances in the qualifying and prelim finals, when he led the charge and brutalised the Geelong and GWS midfields, are the most inspirational performances by a Richmond player I've ever seen. I'll never forget the roaring, standing ovation he got when he came to the bench at one point in the prelim.

I just hope when he hangs them up he gets to be carried off in front of a packed MCG.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
That picture embodies Trent's ferocity on the field. He set the tone against GWS that day and the team followed. The MCG have spent the last few years trying to repair the Mumford shaped dent in the playing surface, with little success.
that tackle is etched in my RFC folklore brain even more than Townsends in the 2017 GF

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I can’t say much more than already has been said by all of you here, so in my own way I’ve got some of the best of Trent Cotchin so you can enjoy watching him as much as I have.

From his debut game I knew that we had a born leader.

Thank you CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS.

The born leader who brought the RFC out of a 37 year old wilderness to now a powerhouse club.

Rest up. Take the pressure of your tired, battered, bruised body and come back reinvigorated for another tilt at a flag.

Enjoy and apologies for the order. It’s just what came to my head and I know it’s all over the shop.

https://youtu.be/G7dvfkYm3OY

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Greatest RFC Captain of the modern era by some margin. Arguably the best AFL Captain.

Forever etched in my mind when thinking of the three Premierships. Lifting up those cups on stage with Dimma, pure raw elation.

Chimpa will be immortalised in Bronze along with Dimma and Dusty one day no doubt.

The coiffure on that statue MUST do it justice too!! It must be at least 20 cm high :))

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

That hair is wonderful though !

I remember another Tiger I loved to watch play but was shattered when he left to the Pies- Geoff ‘Pretty Boy’ Raines.

My wife reckons the Bulldogs ruckman Tim English hair is immaculate!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Can’t believe he is never spoken as a leader, captain of 3 premierships, dragging the club as a young leader but Selwood and Pendlebury are considered above him.
It’s a disgrace and actually insulting to be truthful.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I know it just an opinion .....but when speaking of Cotchin this morning the former, highly successful leader of the dees G.Lyon, rates Selwood as the best captain he's seen.

I must've missed the bit where he's dragged them over the line in the big games of recent years :rolleyes: .
Maybe he’s forgotten Luke Hodge was a fairly reasonable skipper too.
Luke Hodge is above those two!

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
That hair is wonderful though !

I remember another Tiger I loved to watch play but was shattered when he left to the Pies- Geoff ‘Pretty Boy’ Raines.

My wife reckons the Bulldogs ruckman Tim English hair is immaculate!!!
Time English looks like a human Ken Doll !!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user