Trent Cotchin on SEN | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin on SEN

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
You should read Konrad's first book. Being connected with each other is what was at the core of everything. Now everyone in AFL land talks about connection

Yeh, but wasn't that connection with each other? (as in teammates). Yes, hopefully it helps make players more rounded but not sure I'd be crediting the premierships to how the players felt about their partners & families.

I agree with Ezy, unless there are exceptional health circumstances I'd hope the players would commit to whatvever was required to enable the competition and the club to continue season 2020.

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Is that on the record somewhere? I thought it was more about playing with freedom, being more in the moment and not dwelling on mistakes etc? Isn't that what mindfulness was all about, being present and in the moment?

Freedom is only one part of mindfulnes, but it is the outcome of acceptance of you from your peers and yourself. If you are not comfortable in your own skin, if you don’t understand what’s important to yourself, then you will struggle to find that place of mindfulness.

Its about what all that sharing that they did a few years back, so they could except each other for who they are - from that all the connectedness comes.

Its why Cotch can comfortably challenge what’s going on because he is struggling to understand how these hubs fit with what are his priorities - it’s the club culture.

Sorry - preaching over.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Members deserve better than senior players deciding no to play.
People made massive financial sacrifices to the club this year despite being able to watch no football.
The players need a reminder of that. These personal choices will basically see this season wasted if quality players step out of the senior team for a sustained period in an already shortened year.
For the first time in a long time I've been baffled by some of the comments our leadership group this season. Think we're getting a bit too comfortable & it might be time for a change at years end on that front.
No wonder we are playing like we are given the mindset.

Reactions: 7 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Even with a break out in Victoria the numbers are still small in comparison to what is happening in the rest of the world. So right now the hubs should only be in existence for 8 to 10 weeks. This is not a drastic or life threatening length of time and plenty of people in the past have had the father absence for weeks on end.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Our sword is the brotherhood. Happy players, dynamic team.

if this year is a bust but the club doesn’t abandon the values that make it great, then I’m prepared to cop it.

if I’m reading Cotch correctly, our entire preparatory system has been thrown into disarray.

fine. Roll on 2021.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeh, but wasn't that connection with each other? (as in teammates).

It was with everyone they have relationships with. It's not something you turn on or off depending on who it is. It's a change of mindset, attitude, look on life. Plenty of interviews and media pieces on the boys and how the mindfulness/connected has also made them better husbands, fathers and friends.

It's there and it's real.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Family comes first. If that means loss of match payment and salary then they have to wear it, but their choice.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Members deserve better than senior players deciding no to play.
People made massive financial sacrifices to the club this year despite being able to watch no football.
The players need a reminder of that. These personal choices will basically see this season wasted if quality players step out of the senior team for a sustained period in an already shortened year.
For the first time in a long time I've been baffled by some of the comments our leadership group this season. Think we're getting a bit too comfortable & it might be time for a change at years end on that front.
No wonder we are playing like we are given the mindset.

Agree with this. It's almost as if some of the players think they are the only ones who have ever had to spend time away from the family for the sake of employment. Ah, many, many, many people to do this every year of their working life; it's not that unusual. For years these guys have been earning many, many times the average Australian wage for playing a sport they love and only spending the odd night away from home every now and then. Plus I'm sure their families have been able to travel with them on at least some of these occasions.

I am very grateful for what this group has achieved over the past few years. After decades in the wilderness it has been a great ride and I will never forget it. That said I feel right now they are being a bit precious about the situation and their attitude is undoubtedly seeping into their performance on the field.

What we have seen since the resumption is not the Richmond team we've witnessed from 2017-19; it is a long way from it.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Family comes first. If that means loss of match payment and salary then they have to wear it, but their choice.
You can put your family first and still travel away from home for work. Many people do it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It's not as if they're the first professional athletes ever to face these types of challenges even if the the circumstances are slightly different.
With the covid cases being considerable in Victoria the liklihood of them not being allowed back into the state from a hub without quarantine diminishes if say a partner has a baby or a family member was sick.
Family comes first sure but it seems that a bit of perspective as to the importance of their professional commitments has been lost.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I didn't hear the interview at all , but I believe as yet none of our players have pulled the pin ?

I will reserve judgement till then as every person / player has different circumstances

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
If Cotch decides he doesn't want to go then that's his right but you have got to feel for someone like Marlion Pickett. He isn't like Jack or Cotch and is well set up financially after years on big money. Someone like him just probably doesn't have the luxury of staying home with his kids. It must be having some effect on the bond in the playing group. A lot of the fringe players must be having financial pressures from the paycut that the top tier aren't.

Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
it’s just footy.

most of us have been looked after by our employers. Working from home, COVID leave, flexible hours, etc.

Why can’t the players be human too? They have families and parents who might be at risk, just like us.

I think some are letting their need for footy affect their judgement of this.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If Cotch decides he doesn't want to go then that's his right but you have got to feel for someone like Marlion Pickett. He isn't like Jack or Cotch and is well set up financially after years on big money. Someone like him just probably doesn't have the luxury of staying home with his kids. It must be having some effect on the bond in the playing group. A lot of the fringe players must be having financial pressures from the paycut that the top tier aren't.

The flip side of that is these other players will probably get more opportunity to play if some seniors stay away. That's more match payments.

As tax said, every player's situation is different. For Cotch it might mean staying behind with family. For Marlion it may mean doing whatever he has to do to increase his earning capacity. But that doesn't mean Chimp cares more about his family than Marlion, it just means they're at different places.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You can put your family first and still travel away from home for work. Many people do it.

By choice. You choose a career that involves frequent travel, or you find a job where you can be at home all the time, maybe for less pay. Decisions.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
The interstate clubs & players reluctantly agreed to hubs and have been doing it for the last few weeks.

Cotchin agreed to play while other players sacrificed, so IMO it would be extremely poor for him to pull out when it’s his turn.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
it’s just footy.

most of us have been looked after by our employers. Working from home, COVID leave, flexible hours, etc.

Why can’t the players be human too? They have families and parents who might be at risk, just like us.

I think some are letting their need for footy affect their judgement of this.
Many haven't been looked after either. Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people have lost their jobs. Some of the players appear to think they should be treated differently than others in the community.

I can guarantee that most people don't have a choice if they have to travel away from home for work commitments. Well they do have a choice I guess; it's either do it or find another job.

Anyway, I won't lose any sleep over it. They can do what they want and deal with whatever consequence is involved. I just think they are acting a bit entitled when you consider what many of the Average Joes are going through.

Reactions: 4 users

tote

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 10, 2004
Sydney
I just received a call from the RFC to buy some "Scratch" tickets to further financially support the club...... I haven't said no but I have to say that if the players are unwilling to commit (subject to knowing why) then i think it's a bit rich for the club to be asking for more $.
Maybe it's because we have a number of players doing media and being questioned about it but it does appear the RFC playing group are being very "precious" about this.
NB: so far we have had 4 clubs in hubs and another 2 announced and not one player has said no .......

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
By choice. You choose a career that involves frequent travel, or you find a job where you can be at home all the time, maybe for less pay. Decisions.
Footballers have that choice as well. They are very privileged to get so well paid to play a sport they love and travel away from families very little.

Unprecedented times often call for unprecedented measures. I think the sacrifice should be made for the good of the clubs and the competition. If they decide not to go they certainly should have to take an appropriate hair cut on their payments.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Unprecedented times often call for unprecedented measures. I think the sacrifice should be made for the good of the clubs and the competition. If they decide not to go they certainly should have to take an appropriate hair cut on their payments.

Yeah, agree on the last part Rids.