Trent Cotchin on SEN | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin on SEN

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Said on a game day thread a couple of weeks back that the result is what happens when you're to worried about being woke than playing footy.
Don't think I made any friends that day. To me, today's reported comments are further evidence of an extremely worrying trend at this club.

Some of you seem to quite happy with the players heading down this path - it's only footy. Maybe, but I have very little interest in cheering on the players at home colouring in and playing with dolly.

Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Cotchin comments are poor leadership. Sends completely the wrong message to the playing group. Its the same messages that came from West Coast before they had to go to Qld and look how that's worked out!

Just because he is under the thumb doesn't mean he needs to thrown the others under the bus

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeh, but wasn't that connection with each other? (as in teammates). Yes, hopefully it helps make players more rounded but not sure I'd be crediting the premierships to how the players felt about their partners & families.

I agree with Ezy, unless there are exceptional health circumstances I'd hope the players would commit to whatvever was required to enable the competition and the club to continue season 2020.

Thats a good point.

Lets say JR and bachar dont want to play?

That jeopardises the whole competion. The competition thats set the old blokes up. How about the young blokes setting out?

The spectrum of my veiw on this goes from;

Understanding and full support if a player was expecting a baby and stayed home on zero pay

All the way through to outrage if a player didnt want to play to do a canteen day a week at the kids school and expected to be paid anything.

I'd actually go so far as suggesting a player should retire if they prioritised a month/6weeks family time over their football obligation.

Wives and kids were never part of my acceptance/love thing. I dont like Ranceys misses.

Im pretty sure back when i had a job, i got 5 days a year paternity leave?

I am 100% supportive of stayathome dads. Spent time as one myself. But i never got $40k a week

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Said on a game day thread a couple of weeks back that the result is what happens when you're to worried about being woke than playing footy.
Don't think I made any friends that day. To me, today's reported comments are further evidence of an extremely worrying trend at this club.

Some of you seem to quite happy with the players heading down this path - it's only footy. Maybe, but I have very little interest in cheering on the players at home colouring in and playing with dolly.

Oh god, the sky is falling !!

IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET

Bet you were pretty happy when our "woke" players won about 75% of all games in the past 3 years

Reactions: 9 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Love Cotchy but I reckon he would want his time again on this comment.
People are still paid up members they are expecting something from the team.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Geez.

you couldn’t have seen a more ruthless, curb stomp of a September in 2017.

and then the grand final last year.

Just because our players are connected to each other and their families doesn’t mean they lack mongrel.

channeled mongrel on the field of battle.

the mindset painstakingly cultivated by the support staff who have been laid off in the last few months.

nah, I love our method and accept that it can’t be replicated anytime soon.

Reactions: 3 users

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Oh god, the sky is falling !!

IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET

Bet you were pretty happy when our "woke" players won about 75% of all games in the past 3 years

No, players deciding to go hasn't happened yet. What concerns me is that there is trend to champion causes and energies into things peripheral to footy. I have no argument against outside interests and would suggest that they are critical to a healthy life balance, but i have strong feelings about priorities. I'm not convinced the balance is right at the club.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
sorry eZyT - I couldn’t disagree more.

I think the players are entitled to work out what is important to them and then to make decisions accordingly.

Personally, from my perspective, family and health and wellbeing are far more important than work, and if thats what Cotch is saying then I applaud. If that means some of them don’t participate in hubs then I think that is not the easy option for them to make, but much harder decision imo, to stand up to those in power because of what you believe.

Go Cotch.

Look I am not enjoying footy at the moment and I don’t want to see our tigers travel to a hub and then play miserably like the weagles - that would be just to hard to watch.

If it comes to hubs, and the tigers can get 25 or 30 players to put their hand up then that’s great, if not, then we move on to next season.

Each to their own but if this season has taught me one thing, there is more to life than footy (did I say that).

No need to apologize for a different POV
Yott,

And i agree family is everything.

But familys gotta eat.

Sherpas do 3 months away from a dozen kids for 6pounds of yak butter.

Players expecting babies aside (although if bakes could skip qtine for death, surely birth qualifies),

I think a bloke who cant do a month away for $100k is

1. Exceedingly soft
2. Exceedingly selfish (its a team sport/band of bros)
3. Has an attachment disorder with the kids, or
4. Has a negative codependency with the misses.

Potentially all four (ive known these blokes, though they were *smile* footy players)

Any bloke downing tools needs to understand that huge cultural crevices will result.

And yeah it hasnt happened yet, it maybe an ambit claim or the HS talking *smile*, but its an interesting discussion.

Makes me realise the financial expression of my love for rfc isnt unconditional

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
let's who/if decides not to go. If there are some I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're at an age where they were considering hanging up their boots at the end of the year. If you are thinking of retiring, you'd struggle to want to go through this *smile* this year. The counter is it might convince them to go another year, but we really don't know what this *smile* of year as done to players way of thinking

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Sherpas do 3 months away from a dozen kids for 6pounds of yak butter.
*smile*. They'd do it for nothing, just to get away from a dozen screaming rug rats.

And yak butter is over rated!
;)

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Our sword is the brotherhood. Happy players, dynamic team.

if this year is a bust but the club doesn’t abandon the values that make it great, then I’m prepared to cop it.

if I’m reading Cotch correctly, our entire preparatory system has been thrown into disarray.

fine. Roll on 2021.
If thats how the players and club fill then fine.

But expect the generosity of the members paying their hard earned cash to stop.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If thats how the players and club fill then fine.

But expect the generosity of the members paying their hard earned cash to stop.

We have just won 2 flags and your prepared to throw the towel in after this year.
Im still staying a member.
considering we had been a busket case for over 3 decades. This year is a nothing year.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Not fussed.
Lots of clutching of pearls.
Even before something's happened.