Trojan Remover | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trojan Remover

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Hiya Tiga. I downloaded Trojan Remover and then when the trial period was up I un-installed it. However. I think it has left behind something (as it said it couldn't all be un-installed) anyway, now I get all these really annoying pop-ups that pop-up killer doesn't kill. So what is the name of the file I have to delete to stop this happening??

Regards

Tigerdog

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Thanks Tigerarmy I would appreciate that. :)

As far as I know it was called 'Trojan Remover'. :-\

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
TD, try Adaware to get rid of popups. also try CWShredder and stinger. All of these are freely downloadable at www.download.com.

J

jake_the_lad

I would also recommend Spybot search and destroy from:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

A couple of PC magazines did reviews and rated it better than AdAware. Just yesterday it picked up a dozen or so bugs on a mate's computer that AdAware missed.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Adaware misses it.

I will try this SpyBot S n D and see if that gets it. Thanks Jake and Tiga.

As I said before though, I am thinking it is a part of the Trojan Remover trial program that didnt un-install itself when I un-installed it. It said that not all of it had been removed. But I dont know what to remove!!
Ill see how spybot goes.

This pop-up is always in grey, and it seems to go in cycles... Will keep popping up about spyware programs etc then it changes to the odd sex ad... then it will be an ad all in chinese... it is all very annoying... but the boxes say... dont just click ok as that will not take u to crapsite advertised here rather type it in your brower window etc.... AS IF.... Just get the hell off my computer!! I don't see how that would make you want to support their business. :mad:

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
OK spybot got a few things, which was cool, but it didn't get the 'in your face' one, that pops up no matter what site I am on. ::)

I tried to find CW Shredder at downloads.com tiga but couldn't.

Also Norton says I have W32 wormblaster virus bit it cant do anything about it?? So what can?

Cheers

J

jake_the_lad

Tigerdog said:
Also Norton says I have W32 wormblaster virus bit it cant do anything about it?? So what can?

Cheers

TD,

Sometimes these viruses are clever enough to restore themselves after a scan. Try turning off system restore:

1. Right click 'My Computer' -> Properties -> System restore -> check box 'turn off system restore'

2. Run Norton

3. uncheck the box you checked in 1.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, you could try running Spybot/AdAware (make sure they are the latest update) in safe mode.

1. Start -> Run -> type 'msconfig' hit enter.

2. A box should appear go to BOOT.INI tag and check '/SAFEBOOT'.

3. Reset computer. The computer will boot up in safe mode.

4. Run Spybot/AdAware and remove bugs

5. Repeat step 1

6. Select 'Normal startup'

7. Reset computer

----------------------------------------------------------------------

CW Shredder can be downloaded from:

http://www.merijn.org/files/CWShredder.exe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If all else fails you can get a popup blocker (I use the google toolbar), this will stop the popups from appearing but you don't know what else the programs are doing so it is not the best option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I've been on the phone for a couple of hours to Command anti virus tech support today. They got rid of the doom virus off my computer yesterday and today a new one had infected it again.
They've finally got rid of it but it took a lot of mucking around. Another idea might be to ring your anti virus program tech support if the program doesn't delete it td.

tigerarmy

Tiger Cub
May 22, 2003
Melbourne
Jake has basically hit the nail on the head.

Spybot SnD is very good. All try SpySweeper.. Im not sure if SpySweeper is free ??? but if you gave that a try you might fix it.

Also I use the google toolbar which is very helpful. I never get any pop-ups anymore.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Thanks very much for all of your help guys. :) I have a few things to report back.

Those annoying pop-ups are now gone ;D FANTASTIC

BUT

the MASSIVE SIDE BONUS was that it cleared up a problem I had with this PC since the day I got it (reco).
I had spokent to you briefly about this problem in the past tiga.

Anyway PC is now fully functional thanks mostly to advice given by the good people at PRE like yourselves.

Cheers 8)