Trouble opening files | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trouble opening files

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I saved the info from CashFlowManager to floppy disc but can't open it. All I get is some code looking gobbledegook with squares and symbols.

The same has happened with some word files I've been sent.

Does anyone know what settings I need to alter so files open properly?

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
G'day rosy...what is the file-type after the file name...yeah basic question I know. Some programs and attachments make minor changes to the file type which means your "always open with" program selection wont like it. If a file looks like gobbledegook...try using notepad to read it. If you let me know the file extension I may be able to help you with which program to read/run.
Cheers
Bairdy
P.S. My PC really hates the difference between the extension jpeg and jpg....go figure

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for your reply bairdy. I forgot to mention I have W982e if that is relevant.
I've tried opening them in notepad but it says they are too big and offers WordPad instead but that just gives the code.

I've tried with WinWord and it asks to choose the encoding to use for loading this file, either plain text or other encoding (different languages) but I've tried them and can't open it.

I've tried "Open With" but can't find any programs to open it.

One of the files says Tiger outline.esp

Another says the big fat cat from ararat.wps

I did get a message on one of them telling me to go to My Computer and click on view and Folder Options but I got lost there. I presume I need to add something to file types but I don't know what.

I don't know what the cash flow manager file is but I'll ring their support desk today and see if they can help.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
G'day Rosy....WPS is a microsoft works word processor doc...try the follwing..

SYMPTOMS
When you double-click a Microsoft Works Word Processor document (.wps file) to try and open it, Microsoft Word starts does not open the document. Word opens with a blank document.
CAUSE
This issue may occur if Microsoft Windows does not properly associate .wps files with Word. Works Suite uses Microsoft Word as a word processor.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, re-associate .wps files with Word. To do this, follow these steps.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
If you use Windows online Help, type associate a file with a program in the Windows Help Search box. 1. Right-click Start, and then click Explore.

Windows Explorer starts.
2. Locate the .wps file that you want to open, and then right-click it.
3. Point to Open With, and then click Choose Program.

Note If the Open With command is not available, click Open, click Select the program from a list, and then click OK.
4. Click Microsoft Word.
5. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.
Word starts and opens the document.

For the ESP...that one has me stumped, research says it is audio file back-up...how to open it...no idea sorry!!

Gazza68

The sleeping giant is waking from his slumber
Oct 23, 2004
Rosy, are you using microsoft office or microsoft works.