TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Anyone watch Hawke last night? Quite interesting although I felt that they verged on giving Hawke all the credit for the major achievements of his government. Some of the cast was completely wrong as well, Graham Richardson for example. The guy playing Hawke did a great job with Hawk'e mannerisms.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It was ok. IN a way it was too short and events were glossed over (or ignored completely) very quickly. Didn't see any reference to the no child shall live in poverty speech. The list of credits of his government were impressive but I am sure they could be countered by failures as well.

At least it was something different and new.

Watched the interview afterwards as well, not sure what is going on with Blanche's face.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
jb03 said:
It was ok. IN a way it was too short and events were glossed over (or ignored completely) very quickly. Didn't see any reference to the no child shall live in poverty speech.

Agreed that they glossed over too many things, the no child speech was a glaring omission.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I love the Big Bang Theory but you have to have a geekish background to appreciate a lot of the humour, a lot of it comes from comics and Sci Fi film and TV.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
IanG said:
Agreed that they glossed over too many things, the no child speech was a glaring omission.

Imagine if they made a series where Julia knifes kevin?
I wonder who'd play Julia?

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
IanG said:
I love the Big Bang Theory but you have to have a geekish background to appreciate a lot of the humour, a lot of it comes from comics and Sci Fi film and TV.

Very funny show.

All that comics and SF culture stuff adds an extra dimension for us geeks but the really funny thing is Sheldon's Asberger Syndrome. Like much good humour it challenges us to laugh at something that is very serious and shouldn't be laughed at. We can't help ourselves anyway.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
IanG said:

Must be why I struggle to cracf a smile watching it. Makes me worry about why I find Two and a half men funny, though.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007
Anyone watch Offspring last night?
Watched it with my wife, wasn’t too bad.
A little bit Ally McBeal-ish but ok.

B1

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I hated Offspring, lasted half an hour. Full of unlikeable, quirky characters who were only quirky for the sake of being quirky.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Has anybody got into Tangle? The same people who make Offspring are responsible for it.

The first series was on Foxtel last year and featured Ben Mendelsohn in the main role as a total sleaze, something which he does pretty well. The second series is continuing on without him and is also quite good, dealing with issues associated with grieving and loss.

Most of the characters are very flawed and hard to like. Its like a Bizarro World Packed to the Rafters.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
TOT70 said:
Very funny show.

All that comics and SF culture stuff adds an extra dimension for us geeks but the really funny thing is Sheldon's Asberger Syndrome. Like much good humour it challenges us to laugh at something that is very serious and shouldn't be laughed at. We can't help ourselves anyway.

The guy who plays Sheldon has comic genius timing. Completely makes the show.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
...if anyone likes New York Jewish humour, try Tuesdays about 9.30ish, foxtel Comedy Channel – Curb Your Enthusiasm :)

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Punxsutawney Phil said:
I have got into Modern Family, which I reckon is quite funny.

Agreed, it takes cliched characters and makes them human.

For those who watch Mad Men I'm up to episode 4 of season 4 and the quality is still there, its a sublime show.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
glantone said:
...if anyone likes New York Jewish humour, try Tuesdays about 9.30ish, foxtel Comedy Channel – Curb Your Enthusiasm :)
Brilliant show. Have 6 seasons on DVD. Need to get my hands on 7.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Just got the box set of the TV series OZ...Not quite a Family show :hihi :hihi :hihi

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Just watched season 2 of Dexter on Foxtel. Massive show. Season three is on next week, it is great the way Foxtel show the old series in the lead up to the next. Still have to get through 3 and 4 but with the series link button that wont be a problem.

How good is series link? TV on your terms.