TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

tbartiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2009
Qld
Sorry tbartiger i just noticed your post, yes i read Davo's little Something, i preferred the Les Norton books. Yes i'm sure the Godson will get a run.
Hey Tigerman, I never checked in. Life has been busy so I only finished a week or so ago. Loved it. Loved being able to tie some of the scenes to the books that they came from. I though David Wenham was great, played the always right, self righteous crim perfectly. And I liked his harder edge coming out in the later episodes.
I wasn’t keen on the silly sex stuff with Dolores, that just went crazy. And of course Les fighting skills and toughness were ott, but that’s straight out the books so that’s fine.
Overall thought it was great. The books are not war & peace or sense & sensibility but they aren’t meant to be. They are a low down, sleazy men’s rom com, and the show was the same. No need to think too much. Great stuff

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hey Tigerman, I never checked in. Life has been busy so I only finished a week or so ago. Loved it. Loved being able to tie some of the scenes to the books that they came from. I though David Wenham was great, played the always right, self righteous crim perfectly. And I liked his harder edge coming out in the later episodes.
I wasn’t keen on the silly sex stuff with Dolores, that just went crazy. And of course Les fighting skills and toughness were ott, but that’s straight out the books so that’s fine.
Overall thought it was great. The books are not war & peace or sense & sensibility but they aren’t meant to be. They are a low down, sleazy men’s rom com, and the show was the same. No need to think too much. Great stuff
A good description tbartiger.
I've started reading the books again for old times sake.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
A good description tbartiger.
I've started reading the books again for old times sake.
I have the books packed away, thought they started to get way OTT after the Kelly Club closed, and Les had adventures all over the joint.
The Godson was a classic, would make a pretty good film. The bloke who played Les, (from the Iron Jack ads) was a pretty close match to how I pictured him. David Wenham was good, can't stand Rebel Wilson.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sunderland Til I Die

Eight part Netflix doco on Sunderland FC and their 2017-18 season - they'd just been relegated from the Prem the previous season and were looking for a quick bounce back. Probably not too big of a spoiler to say that it didn't go as planned. Players, trading, the manager, the CEO, all are filmed and interviewed, along with the fans and business people in the city that sponsored the team. The overwhelming feeling is of the relentlessness of the Championship - too many games, tough and physical, players getting injured and wearing out.

Fantastic insight into a big professional football team in one of the big Northern working-class cities. Great game footage as well.

I've only watched 3 of the 8 so far but it's definitely binge-worthy.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Finally finished the Mandalorian on Disney Plus. Best stuff from the Star Wars franchise in many years.
Good acting for the most part. Simple story lines. Not too heavy on the special effects which made it more tangible.
Less is more.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I find it every bit as good as Breaking Bad to be honest.

I think the impact of some of the great characters is lessened a little because they are familiar to us.

Check out Ozark if you haven't already TBR... it's very good and in a similar vein to BB, although look and mood is quite different.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I find it every bit as good as Breaking Bad to be honest.

I think the impact of some of the great characters is lessened a little because they are familiar to us.

Yeah... There is less humour with no Jessie character, but also there is a sense of dread about what will befall Kim. And she's so lovely.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Outsiders - Stephen King being Stephen King. Great start that keeps you hooked but unfortunately doesn't continue through to the end
Altered Carbon S02 - Not as good as S012 but still worth watching
Devs - Watched the first episode and it has me hooked
Narcos Mexico S02 - Great stuff, can never get enough of Sth/Cntrl American Drug Lords

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Outsiders - Stephen King being Stephen King. Great start that keeps you hooked but unfortunately doesn't continue through to the end
Altered Carbon S02 - Not as good as S012 but still worth watching
Devs - Watched the first episode and it has me hooked
Narcos Mexico S02 - Great stuff, can never get enough of Sth/Cntrl American Drug Lords

First 3 episodes of Outsider, brilliant. The rest, meh. I really struggled to finish it.
AC agree. Check out The Expanse for another very high quality well-written SciFi

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Agree with this. First half of The Outsider is compelling but it fades away in the 2nd half. Ben Mendelsen and Cynthia Errivo are both outstanding. I'd watch a Holly Gibney show (Cynthia Errivo's character).

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Went to watch the Aaron Hernandez doco on Netflix but started watching one on Gabriel Fernandez by mistake. Fascinating story (actually, i'm not sure that is the right word). Warning though, it is a shocking real life story and hard to watch.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Went to watch the Aaron Hernandez doco on Netflix but started watching one on Gabriel Fernandez by mistake. Fascinating story (actually, i'm not sure that is the right word). Warning though, it is a shocking real life story and hard to watch.

Good rec on Gabriel Fernandez. Thanks.

Tiger King lived up to the hype.

Ozark s3 was OK but weaker than previous seasons IMO.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Sunderland Til I Die

Eight part Netflix doco on Sunderland FC and their 2017-18 season - they'd just been relegated from the Prem the previous season and were looking for a quick bounce back. Probably not too big of a spoiler to say that it didn't go as planned. Players, trading, the manager, the CEO, all are filmed and interviewed, along with the fans and business people in the city that sponsored the team. The overwhelming feeling is of the relentlessness of the Championship - too many games, tough and physical, players getting injured and wearing out.

Fantastic insight into a big professional football team in one of the big Northern working-class cities. Great game footage as well.

I've only watched 3 of the 8 so far but it's definitely binge-worthy.
Second season just landed. About to start watching.