TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Just finished the 3 series of "Jack Whitehall - Travels with my Dad". Goes through SE Asia, Eastern Europe and some of the States with his 77yo father.
Not bad for some light entertainment, even if its scripted at times.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Perry Mason origin story (Foxtel in Australia) is pretty good, at least IMO. People who liked the original Perry Mason tend to hate it, but I never watched the original so took it at face value. Perry is an investigator working for lawyer EB, (John Lithgow) defending a woman who's baby son was kidnapped and subsequently died (murdered?). It's a great period piece, set in post WWI 1930s LA when it was still semi-rural in places, the locations are great along with the cast and characterisations. Looks fantastic. Pace is slow. It's got kind of an LA Confidential vibe. Mason played by Welsh actor William Rhys but gets the yankee accent spot-on. He's a much seedier, and conflicted crumpled Perry Mason.

iu

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
I'm old enough to remember old Perry Mason (assuming we're talking of 1960s Raymond Burr, pre Ironside) so this was a pleasant surprise. Look forward to s2.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm old enough to remember old Perry Mason (assuming we're talking of 1960s Raymond Burr, pre Ironside) so this was a pleasant surprise. Look forward to s2.

Yeah was happy to learn that S2 is on the way. I really liked the Mexican actress, Veronica Falcon. Juliette Rylance and Shea Whigham fantastic as well.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I might be a bit behind the times here but have started watching The Bureau on SBS on Demand. Great show (so far)

caspar

We won!!!!!
Jun 8, 2006
Melbourne
Schitt's Creek. My token American comedy.
Grandma's House
Friday Night Dinners
The Detectorists.
Peep Show. A classic I reckon. Love SuperHans
The Mighty Boosh, of course!
aaand, This Country. I watched the whole thing thinking MacKenzie Crook (Gareth Keenan) is playing a 16 year old chav so well, but then I discover it is not him . But he is IDENTICAL. about 15 years younger though.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Schitt's Creek. My token American comedy.
Grandma's House
Friday Night Dinners
The Detectorists.
Peep Show. A classic I reckon. Love SuperHans
The Mighty Boosh, of course!
aaand, This Country. I watched the whole thing thinking MacKenzie Crook (Gareth Keenan) is playing a 16 year old chav so well, but then I discover it is not him . But he is IDENTICAL. about 15 years younger though.

Peep Show was great.

I loved the Mighty Boosh but tried to watch it again recently, incredibly dated and basically unwatchable. No offence Caspar

Two decent Brit shows you might like, Giri Haji Japanese/English yakuza crossover with Will Sharpe and Flowers about a family with a depressed dad (Julian Barrett of Boosh fame), Olivia Coleman (Peep Show) and Will Sharpe again as the Japanese intern/exchange student. Kind of funny yet melancholy/depressing in that English way.

Will Sharpe is basically a genius IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
ah yeah.

yes it does move on. too slow for you?
Yeah, it is a bit. I’ll persevere. It’s a *smile* cold horrible day here in Melbourne so what else am I gunna do.... :)

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Peep Show was great.

I loved the Mighty Boosh but tried to watch it again recently, incredibly dated and basically unwatchable. No offence Caspar

Two decent Brit shows you might like, Giri Haji Japanese/English yakuza crossover with Will Sharpe and Flowers about a family with a depressed dad (Julian Barrett of Boosh fame), Olivia Coleman (Peep Show) and Will Sharpe again as the Japanese intern/exchange student. Kind of funny yet melancholy/depressing in that English way.

I just binged Giri/Haji over the weekend, its very good although it drags a bit in the 2nd half after it transitions from a crime drama to more of a personal drama.